Back in My Day: Tech Edition

JAW96

-My first editing experience was on a VHS tape-to-tape editor.

-The first programming I did was Lego-LOGO run off of 5 1/4" floppy disks.

-Downloading an mp3 on Napster at 5KB/s was mind numbingly fast. And a 4x CD burner was basically witchcraft.

My first game was RollerCoaster Tycoon 1. I played the shit out of that game. Also my best computer was a Compaq that had a Pentium III and Windows 95.

Woot my first game was also RollerCoaster Tycoon 1. I got it from a general mills cereal box and couldn't figure out how to run it for the longest time. Don't think I ever unlocked all the maps :(

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Back in my days, was debating on whether to buy a WD VelociRaptor or not. 

Back in my day downloading something above 5GB took a day.

It still takes that long with my blazing 3Mbps :(

HEH (17 year old putting on an old man voice)

Back in mah day, we didn't have none of these garn-fangled new SayTay (SATA) ports, we had PaTay and Ahh-Dee-Eee.

We had MASTER drives an' SLAVE drives, ya had ta make sure that yer Ahh-Dee-Eee cable were plugged in ta the right drive with the right connector. We didn' have none of this equality nonsense that all you young whippersnappers(!?!??!) have today,

This made my day. And the fact you have wendell as you profile pic makes it so much better. I just imagine him saying it. 

IDE drives. If you've never had to set a jumper on a HDD or ODD count yourself lucky, they're not actually that far in the past.

Put your jumpers in wrong and nothing works right. It was a big deal to set drives as slave or master. Now you just plug them shits in and go. That's why it's so easy to build pc's today. You don't really have to know anything, just put the parts together. 

Put your jumpers in wrong and nothing works right. It was a big deal to set drives as slave or master. Now you just plug them shits in and go. That's why it's so easy to build pc's today. You don't really have to know anything, just put the parts together. 

I honestly like IDE a lot better. Gives me some dexterity.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

considering the forums are made up of kids like me (14-17) we havent really experienced this :S 

awkward m8

still i like the thread gr8 m8 8/8 no h8

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

considering the forums are made up of kids like me (14-17) we havent really experienced this :S 

awkward m8

still i like the thread gr8 m8 8/8 no h8

You can talk about your first PC ever.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

You can talk about your first PC ever.

lol dont bring me back to those days m8

fx 4300 and gt610 lelelelelelelel

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

lol dont bring me back to those days m8

fx 4300 and gt610 lelelelelelelel

you're kidding, you must have something older than that as a first pc, no?

you're kidding, you must have something older than that as a first pc, no?

well this was my first "this is mine" pc, there were obviously other pc's in the house like laptops and desktops

my dad was a day trader in the stock market so he had this huge set up of old square monitors with his toshiba laptop and old desktop with a sempron i think. (this was back in like 2007 ish) 

fear not we got em out of the old tech days and bought him a nice macbook air (which he loves and uses for work)

CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT

I should say no more.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

Had to shout down my dail-up connection to use the telephone.

P55C with up to 16KB to 32KB CPU cache speed was a huge deal. and finally!

It-s-now-safe-to-turn-off-your-computer-

Had to shout down my dail-up connection to use the telephone.

P55C with up to 16KB to 32KB CPU cache speed was a huge deal. and finally!

It-s-now-safe-to-turn-off-your-computer-

AT masterrace :)

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

This made my day. And the fact you have wendell as you profile pic makes it so much better. I just imagine him saying it. 

For me, well, yes and no, because I was going for more of an ultra-wild-west accent like cowboys from Idaho and Utah and Arizona and Nevada, you get a moderate drawl but it's got some edges to it. A deep-south accent is all heavy drawl and sounds like the laziest thing in the world.

Texas, on the other hand is a similar yet altogether different story, having both extremes of being super-sharp and extremely slurred compared to Standard American English (which in itself is pretty slurred compared to Standard English English, but that's another thread for another day) so that's why Texas has the age-old stereotype of being big, strong and down-to-earth, but pretty laid back. I know a guy from Texas and he's got all the hats and the boots down to pat, but he's an electrical engineer, and he's probably one of the most intelligent people I know. So two of the smartest people I know at a basic personality level are both from Texas.

And then there's Texas Instruments, one of the largest microprocessor and semiconductor companies in the world that just sits back and dominates the world from behind a fishing rod, a chicken and a can of lager.

Texas may have a stereotype of being full of unintelligent people, but let me tell you: not many of them are idiots. A hell of a lot of them are really, really smart.

How about not having a GUI interface and having to use DOS to do anything, I can remember this but never had to it thankfully

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

1st PC was in 1997 and my Dad said it costs around $2+++ (I don't know if it is the true price).

I think Hard Disk Space Size was less than 5MB. 

$2000+ is plauseible, if not likely including accessories.

HDD size 5mb, nope. More than 1GB. The RAM was likely quite a bit more than 5mb, 5<RAM<32.

First computer my mother borrowed from her school was an apple microbee..... I don't miss load times off a tape drive. Although montezuma's revenge was pretty cool.

The first Pc i used could be "overclocked" with a key-combo when booting. Cant remember the combo anymore, but you could choose from 4-8-10MHz modes. It even had a green-yellow-red led indicator showing you which one were you using.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

built a couple of computers when I was 16 years old. took a break because of well... life, almost 20 years later I get to play with x99. What a massive difference. Everything works. compatibility is a breeze, and no more trying to squeeze programs into that first 512 bytes while fending off windows with a whip and chair, yelling "Thou shalt not pass!!!"

Back in my day games came on 5.25" floppy disks and the screen was only in green!

1225292870-00.jpg

My Rig!

Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D, Mobo: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming, CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K (OC'd to 4.2Ghz), RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400Mhz, GFX: 2 x Gigabyte GTX770 OC Windforce in SLI, CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i with Corsair SP120 Quiet edition fans, SSD: 2 x 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro in Raid 0, Storage: 2Tb WD Caviar Black, PSU: Corsair AX760i, Monitor: Benq XL2024T Keyboard: Corsair K70, Mouse: Razer Taipan