Ultimate Value Gaming Build Guide

I'm running a APU A8 6600k + hd7750, i should go for this upgrade considering that my actual motherboard is running my ssd at 3gbs because does not support sata III. 

Will be a noticeable upgrade, or i should save for a i5 ?

Sorry for my bad english and greetings from Chile :D

does anyone know what sort of paint he used on the heat sink from te cpu cooler?

He mentioned "stove paint" :) 

Doesn't painting the heatsink with stove paint damage the cooler performance? Because I really like the idea of painting it but i don't want to damage the performance of the cpu.

Tips? :D

Doesn't painting the heatsink with stove paint damage the cooler performance? Because I really like the idea of painting it but i don't want to damage the performance of the cpu.

Tips? :D

Not by that much. If you're worried use car paint.

Steve

I need some help building a pc, and I'd like to know if this is a good rig for about 670 dollars (keep in mind that I am from Portugal and the proces here are a bit higher than in the US/Canada)

CPU: AMD FX6300

Mobo: MSI 970-Gaming

RAM: G.Skill Kit 8GB DDR3 1866MHz Sniper CL9

HDD: Seagate Baracuda 1TB (7200)

Case: Nox SX Red Devil USB 3.0

GPU: MSI R9 280

PSU: Cheap 700 watt psu

Thank you for your time and help

PS: I know this post is for the pentium oc, but here in portugal to get the pentium with the other parts I have listed is more expencive, so I had to go with this

how does the R7 260x compare to the 750ti? 

From what I've seen looking them up for my build, the R7 260X and GTX 750 Ti are fairly similar performance wise, maybe a slight edge going to the 750 Ti. The 260x does have Mantel though which can be beneficial in some games, it also generally cost less.

From what I've seen looking them up for my build, the R7 260X and GTX 750 Ti are fairly similar performance wise, maybe a slight edge going to the 750 Ti. The 260x does have Mantel though which can be beneficial in some games, it also generally cost less.

and usually a 270 can be had for a similar price to a 750ti

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1044?vs=1130

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, first please forgive me, english is not my first or second language, that being said, I'm trying to build my first PC, i saw this video and decided to give it a go, however I want to get something a little more powerful since I'm planning on playing some AAA titles, i have a couple questions, can i use any pentium i5 for the CPU, if not, can anyone point me in the right direction, also can i use a different GPU with a little more power? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction as well; i really appreciate the help and I'm a big fan of Linus Tech on YouTube.

Sorry Linus, love your channel and the site, but this is a retarded build. Instead of wasting the $200 this G3258 + Z97 board cost might as well have spent $220 on an i5-4440 and a B85 board. No one on an extreme budget is going to be using SLI, so what's the point of Z97? Not a lot of value in this system.

Did you think about upgradability perchance? Yes its budget but your gonna have a really hard time keeping that i5 relevant long as b85 won't be up to snuff long.

You can swap out that g3258 for a high end i7 at any moment 

Did you think about upgradability perchance? Yes its budget but your gonna have a really hard time keeping that i5 relevant long as b85 won't be up to snuff long.

Why would the i5-4440 not be a relevant CPU for long? Locked Sandy Bridge i5's from January 2011 are still considered top tier gaming CPUs in the Toms Hardware CPU tier list. If there is some huge upgrade in IPC or core count for mainstream CPUs in the next couple of years the 4690k and 4790k propbably wouldn't keep up either. I don't see the sense in flushing $140 down the toilet for a Z97 board and a crappy Pentium for someone just targeting 60FPS. Over clocking isn't free performance when you have to buy a high end board for it and make huge sacrifices everywhere else, which is exactly what this build is. It's horrible for bang for your buck.

Hello, first please forgive me, english is not my first or second language, that being said, I'm trying to build my first PC, i saw this video and decided to give it a go, however I want to get something a little more powerful since I'm planning on playing some AAA titles, i have a couple questions, can i use any pentium i5 for the CPU, if not, can anyone point me in the right direction, also can i use a different GPU with a little more power? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction as well; i really appreciate the help and I'm a big fan of Linus Tech on YouTube.

Yes you can drop in an i5 rather then the G3258. A R9 270X or 280X would be a nice step up for the GPU, or maybe a GTX 960... lots of options.

Back to the i5-4440:

And check a simulated i5 at 3.2GHz vs one at 3.8GHz. Completely imperceptible difference from those extra 600MHz in a pretty CPU hungry game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbXZF7yUhgc

But the extra 600MHz you'd get with a big overclock on a 4690k are going to be so night and day to justify the expensive motherboard and using a crap CPU for months before?

• 3 weeks later...

Hallo. I have a question about the processor. I make a post because I have to build a new system for autocad, Catia and in general 3D design. Of course for gaming to. So my question is: is this processor strong enough for this work for the beginning and in the future to upgrade it. Thanks for the help

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty darn good system.

I am addicted to building gaming PCs but I don't have a great reason to stop...yet...

Has anyone tried out the motherboard. if do is it good??

Hello

• 3 months later...

"A Hard-drive costs the same as going to the Movies"

Erm.

No it doesn't. Going to the movies with some friends costs £15 at Max, however a good 1TB hard-drive will set you back at least £40. Well over double... 

In Canada it is 15 dollars a ticket plus pop corn and drink is  another 15 dollars minimum, if you have a friend that's also 15 dollars for ticket and 15 dollars for popcorn and drink.  

30 for one, 30 for friend.  60 dollars.  I just bought a 1tb western digital for 55 dollars.  

Yah our movie prices are stupid.  But linus is actually pretty bang on with his comparison.  

• 1 month later...

I think you mentioned a second mouse, but I haven't been able to figure out what it was. Didn't sound like anything familiar.

• 1 month later...

Is there another motherboard alternative??? Other than the ASRock Anniversary

Is there another motherboard alternative??? Other than the ASRock Anniversary

All of these builds are pretty outdated. What's your total budget, location, and use? 

P.s. there is a build's planning section: http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

• 5 months later...

1: How much does it all cost?

2: How well will it record/stream games?

9 hours ago, Gabecoolio said:

1: How much does it all cost?

2: How well will it record/stream games?

Old video

Hit up the build forums