Google fights Marriott's plan to block Wi-Fi hotspots

Victorious Secret

albuquerque_marriott_pyramid_north_meeti

Oh Marriott, trying to block the inherent tech that many people specifically pay for in their phones and mobile plans. How on Earth can they petition the FCC to pull something thats, well, this dodgy? 

Though with MS, Google and others going against them, I don't see how Marriott would be successful in this. 

In order to avoid pricey hotel Wi-Fi charges, many guests opt to use their data allotment from their cell phone provider, connecting their laptops to the Internet via their smartphones. 

At Marriott connection rates start at $14.95 per day. For $19.95, guests get "enhanced high speed Internet" which includes video chatting, downloading large files and streaming video. 

In its petition to the FCC, Marriott and the hotel lobby argued that guests can use their smartphones or Mi-Fi devices to launch an attack against a hotel's Wi-Fi network or threaten other guests' privacy (by stealing their credit card data or other personal information).

They also said that those gadgets can interfere with the hotel's Wi-Fi, slowing down speeds for other customers.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/25/technology/marriott-wifi/index.html

not gonna happen!

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

If they have proper security then an attack would be rather difficult.... Also how would the block it? Wrap the entire building in aluminium foil?

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

If I remember correctly, blocking someone's cell phone signal is illegal unless you are the government.

Not to mention anyone could attack their networks, from their networks, or from outside their networks.

post-78731-0-36513100-1419958018.gif

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

um, both their points are wrong. if they use their own device it will take a load off the hotels wifi. so thats wrong

um, issiue attack to the people on the wifi? if im going to steal info, im going to be on the same local wifi. not on my own private data plan. then it'd be just as difficult to steal info then if you where stealing info half way around the world. 

lmfao how transparent

"This has nothing to do with our desire to have a monopoly on internet within our hotels. It's totally about the possibility of people attacking us with their independent data usage!!"

I hope they get it :D

Then no one will stay there, great plan Marriot :lol:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

That statement for why it should be banned... HAHAHAHAHA

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

Also how would the block it? Wrap the entire building in aluminium foil?

There are signal jammers that can block it all out basically.

If I remember correctly, blocking someone's cell phone signal is illegal unless you are the government.

Very illegal, and Marriott was already caught and fined for doing it. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/226900-marriott-to-pay-600000-settlement-for-jamming-wi-fi-hotspots/

Soo, can I sue my house for not giving me sufficient Cell phone signal?

This kills me for being stupid beyond stupid.

Man I hope they did not have someone from their IT Department make this suggestion. It sounds corporate level stupid though, but if they have an off-site network management company running their wireless this should never have been a problem.

You never know until tomorrow how today will go.

Soo, can I sue my house for not giving me sufficient Cell phone signal?

No. I'm talking about intentional block, aka a signal jammer.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Marriott is just being absolutely ridiculous.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates