Network layout showoff

Ssoele

Only problem is, Don't have a static IP. I should just be able to get round this with Dynamic DNS right?

http://freedns.afraid.org/

Register free sub domain and you can set a script to run every 24 hours on your server to do almost a get http request for the url they give you to click to update the IP. I believe Server 2012 has an IP sec service built in. I recommend using ipsec instead of something like pptp or a ssl vpn. It just seems alot easier to set up and configure and usually less of a hassle to troubleshoot. If you buy a 1841 router of Ebay you can just set up your ipsec connection and http request right there and not have to do anything with the server. just forward the port for whatever services you want to host.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

Currently at idle its using about 5-6 Amps at 1300W - 1400W

Cost on idle I think is arround £180 a month. Ex VAT

With regards to on full load.  This I havent tested yet,  But will probably turn out to be just under double the numbers above.  When I do ill reply back to this

If that thing folded it would chuck alot for a CPU rack. 

What's on the server (CPU/GPUs wise)?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Currently at idle its using about 5-6 Amps at 1300W - 1400W

Cost on idle I think is arround £180 a month. Ex VAT

With regards to on full load.  This I havent tested yet,  But will probably turn out to be just under double the numbers above.  When I do ill reply back to this

Those poweredges suck the power.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

network.png

Finally decided to be unlazy and do this. Well a quick explanation I have a poweredge 2950 running esxi running a PFsense box for my L2l tunnels and my remote access tunnels, as well as server 2012 and centos for a file server and hosting other stuff I want. Minecraft, plex, halo, etc.... Then at my house is an 1841 with a tunnel built back to the pfsense box. All my internet based traffic goes through the 3845 like the port forwards and what not. 100/100 connection at the colo is pretty nice for accessing my stuff anywhere I need it as long as I have the download bandwidth to support it.  

So this is a quick diagram of my home setup. Theres actually a lot more to it with the Crestron side of things because of the networking in that and my security system too but those I won't put up. I have 3 internet connections though in the house one is only for my main computer and the security system. The other one is connected for the wireless in the house and the rest of the stuff I have that needs a connection. Although I do need to upgrade a bit my main switch is actually maxed so I'm going add another one probably sooner or later and hook it up to its SFP port on it. other then that I need to probably upgrade to 5GHz on the AP's and AC on them sometime in the future.

List of equipment:

Ubiquiti 8-PORT x1
8 POE IP Camera's
MikroTik RB750UP 5 Port POE Router x1
MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM x1
MikroTik mAP 2n Access points x4
Crestron AV3 Controller x1
Crestron CEN-WAP x2
Crestron CEN-SW-POE-5 x1
QNAP TS-431 x1
PS3
PS4
Xbox 360
PS2
Wii
Wii U
Yamaha RX-V1000

Fe2pQFf.png

This is our companies current configuration of their 45RU rack and Office. I'll add the new 20 Rack setup when our data center gets our racks installed.

404 not found.

Yes.

Just a quick sketch, nothing too fancy

YyC20X3.png

edit, one of my lines was wrong

FLnqZwE.png

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

Here's my home network:

post-121464-0-16430900-1424545452_thumb.

post-121464-0-16430900-1424545452_thumb.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

So this is a quick diagram of my home setup. Theres actually a lot more to it with the Crestron side of things because of the networking in that and my security system too but those I won't put up. I have 3 internet connections though in the house one is only for my main computer and the security system. The other one is connected for the wireless in the house and the rest of the stuff I have that needs a connection. Although I do need to upgrade a bit my main switch is actually maxed so I'm going add another one probably sooner or later and hook it up to its SFP port on it. other then that I need to probably upgrade to 5GHz on the AP's and AC on them sometime in the future.

List of equipment:

Ubiquiti 8-PORT x1

8 POE IP Camera's

MikroTik RB750UP 5 Port POE Router x1

MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM x1

MikroTik mAP 2n Access points x4

Crestron AV3 Controller x1

Crestron CEN-WAP x2

Crestron CEN-SW-POE-5 x1

QNAP TS-431 x1

PS3

PS4

Xbox 360

PS2

Wii

Wii U

Yamaha RX-V1000

-snip-

How is the Crestron system working for you?

My father wants to use their solution for some automated blinds and for automating the living room with a motorized projector screen. I know it can get quite costly for some of their components, but how do you like it? 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

So here's mine. Nothing complicated compared to other setups here.

0SZ675G.png

Except for the ISP router all routers are acting as Switches and access points. Because reasons.

That ISP router I wanted to replace with the Mikrotik, but when I called the ISP to ask them for permission and PPPoE info they said the TP-Link must remain there. And I can't really use the Mikrotik ruter after the ISP router because the IPTV has to be on the same subnet the ISP router is on....

I'm planing on upgrading the network to Gigabit soon. All three routers have the same SSID on differnt channels.

Recently I got a small Shuttle K45 that will replace the DLNA/Samba Server, still waiting on parts tho.

Once I renovate the flat I'll probably change the network layout and upgrade some parts of it. Right now tell me what you think ;)

• 2 weeks later...

How is the Crestron system working for you?

My father wants to use their solution for some automated blinds and for automating the living room with a motorized projector screen. I know it can get quite costly for some of their components, but how do you like it? 

So just to put this out I am a Crestron dealer so I'm a bit biased lol, but in all seriousness the system is amazing as long as you have it properly put in and don't cheap out on stupid things like wire. And make sure that it for the right type of device like the non-LED rated dimmers wont work properly with LED's for a reason. I don't have the blinds or a projector so I haven't tested them out but the ones I've installed haven;t had any issues.

My current setup at my House A is:
leiria_network_diagram.jpg
The Thomson router is only serving the STB and the VoIP, it has its Wireless radio turned off.
The TP-Link N300 is serving the Wi-fi equipments.

At my House B, I have:
serta_network_diagram.jpg
The TP-Link Archer D5 and the Mi Router mini are AC1200 and the TL-WR841N v9 is N300.
At my house B I can only have ADSL service for now. I hope my ISP implmentes Fiber soon.
My STB is a MINIX Neo X8-H running Android 4.4.2.

On the next post I will post my 2 proposals to improve the network on my House A.

For my House A I have these two proposals:

Option A:
leiria_network_proposal_2.jpg

Proposal B:
leiria_network_proposal_1.jpg

Proposal A is the most likely to be implemented due to not needing a switch (with VLAN tagging), saving on the cost of buying one (~26€) and on the power consumption.
The proposal A can be switch (Thomson being the first, before the Mi Router), due to the VLAN tagging of the ISP network.

Currently waiting on the Xiaomi Mi Router, a AC1200 router with a built-in 1TB HDD. Very small and with a custom version of OpenWRT. It has, at least, monthly updates and can run apps.

Edited by Blade of Grass
Merge posts

Always willing to help :)

From Portugal with love.

Are those actually switches or just hubs?

A quick draw up of my setup.. Ask and I'll gladly elaborate..

XU9xlG6.png

This is my family's network. With my aunt and uncle on my dad's side being neighbors and having a family with networking and computer background comes a pretty spectacular network.

Colors:

Purple: PoE

Red: Main Internet Connections from ISP

Grey: Got too lazy to continue, but basically consists of:

vlans

cable connections

fiber/ethernet connections

I'm not sure of the specific model numbers, but I do know the switches are Juniper and Cisco.

There maybe a few errors in the diagram, because I didn't setup the entire network so I'm not entirely sure about it all just an overview from my dad and uncle. Under all three roofs there's a combined 19 people and almost all of us use the internet on a daily basis so you could imagine how much data we pull through a month heck even annually.

Having fiber runs to each house was necessary, because of the cable runs and latency. Also, we have Remote Site VPNs in-place that connect to a datacenter in Dallas that hosts a couple of our site-to-site VPN servers. This is, because the datacenter has "optimized routing" or BGPs coupled with multiple fiber lines to many tier 1 and 2 carriers. Basically what happens here is our network traffic goes through the VPN servers located at the datacenter and from there they take the most optimal route to it's destination. I'm very lucky to have a family and network like this. I just wish my dad would let me in the networking room, but hey at least I get to mess with the ESXi servers and host various services.

EDIT #1: We do have a load balancer for both the GigaPower connections.

post-178280-0-41696900-1425874441.png

• 2 weeks later...

It's not much, but my setup:

Modem/Router (Attached to printer) --> Powerline --> Powerline --> Cisco E2500 Router (in my bedroom :D) --> Ethernet Switch (salvaged) --> My pc, my htpc, my other pc, my laptop, raspberry pi, and my workbench

...And I though that I was high tech with 4 PCs wired through my house via CAT 6, a switch, and a raspberry pi.

Damn, you guys got such complicated networks at home?

I won't even bother to make a diagram for mine as it's simple

ISP ---> 160/10 connection ---> All-in-one router/wireless AP/switch -> 2 pcs, 1 laptop, a chromecast and 3 phones

Honestly this cheap all-in-one we got with our subscription does the thing for me. Atleast when using cable, the wifi is fast but for gaming a bit unreliable, something you don't notice while watching youtube/browsing in general.

The only thing that maxes it out is when I have multiple torrents downloading/seeding so my internet speed maxes out, but that rarely happens anyway. 

My network layout at home isn't particularly complex. Much of it is wireless, too.

DhGToum.png

My Network Layout:

Cisco 3550 Acting as my core, the 2 2811's are there to separate the 2 networks between the House and The Server Hosting (for the public).

IMG_20150401_161405_zpslxy7pxlc.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Why does everyone have awesome network setup but i don't have anything i only have my modem and my router and my computer

post-7591-0-61495600-1428058251.jpg

Not particularly sophisticated but anyway;

Red = 100 Mbps LAN

Green = 1 Gbps LAN

Thick Blue = Wireless AC

Medium Blue = Wireless N

Thin Blue = Wireless G

Purple = DECT

Network Components:-

1) Modem, Router, DHCP Server - AVM Fritz!Box 7490 [VDSL2 Service 80/20]

2) Wireless Access Point / Switch - Netgear R8000

3) Backup - Apple Time Capsule 2013 Model - 4 TB

4) Switch - Netgear 10/100 Mbps Switch

5) EoP 3 x Netgear 200Mbps EoP

Attached Devices:-

1) Sony PS4 [1Gbps]

2) Microsoft Xbox One [1Gbps]

3) Sony 55 inch TV [100Mbps]

4) Sony 32 inch TV [100Mbps]

5) Sony Home Theatre/Blu Ray System (5.1) [100Mbps]

6) Apple TV [100Mbps]

7) Foxtel iQHD x 2 [100Mbps; EoP]

8) Bowers & Wilkins A5 AirPlay Speakers [100Mbps; EoP]

9) HP X576dw MFD [Wireless G]

10) Custom Built Machine (see signature) [Wireless AC]

11) MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch 2012 model [Wireless N]

12) MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch late 2013 model [Wireless AC]

13) iPad Air 2 64 GB (WiFi + LTE) [Wireless AC]

14) iPad Air 32 GB (WiFi + LTE) [Wireless N]

15) iPhone 6 126GB [Wireless AC]

16) iPhone 5S 64 GB [Wireless N]

17) Fritz!Fon x 3 [DECT]

18) Lenovo ThinkPad X240 [Wireless N]

work LAN attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Question. Why does your work have 4 links coming off of the router instead of having a core switch for inter vlan routing, you can set up vlans really quickly and get a more optimized lan switching network running.

• 2 weeks later...

so each network has a broadcast :)

You can configure them with vlans and they will still have the broadcast addresses for each network, as different vlans have different layer 3 networks. Simplifies management by alot.