What are some things you've head people say/think about computers that drove you crazy?

Cokeman

So what are things you have heard people say about computers that drove you crazy? Like two things that drive me crazy is, when someone calls a Surface a laptop. And the people that think all computers are the same. They go into a store and see a PC for $500, $400, and $300 and get the $300 one because to them all computers are the same.

But those are just two of the things that drive me crazy. What are some of yours?

My dad saying SSDs aren't worth it because they die really fast and your data gets corrupted all the time.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

So what are things you have heard people say about computers that drove you crazy? Like two things that drive me crazy is, when someone calls a Surface a laptop. And the people that think all computers are the same. They go into a store and see a PC for $500, $400, and $300 and get the $300 one because to them all computers are the same.

But those are just two of the things that drive me crazy. What are some of yours?

When people talk about building a 'future-proof' PC. 

That's..

8mS65Uk.jpg

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

My dad saying SSDs aren't worth it because they die really fast and your data gets corrupted all the time.

I know i have heard people say that. They do die quicker then a HDD but it still takes a long time to kill them.

yeah-no.gif

You always mention how your dad knows nothing about computers. I pray you don't try to murder him in his sleep with all this ignorance.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

Early computer days my mom tought PC's are kids toys and didnt want to buy one.

She would die now if id steal her laptop lel... :D

You always mention how your dad knows nothing about computers. I pray you don't try to murder him in his sleep with all this ignorance.

He makes food enter my facehole. Of course I wouldn't.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

When people refer to the tower as the CPU my blood begins to boil and I cry tears of lava.

When people refer to the PC Case as the tower..

(PS4 Fanboy claiming that his "8 core gaming console" will outperform any i5 because they 'only' have four cores.)

jjQz6Bm.png

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

In 2014 "This is a HIGH END GAMING computer with a Geforce GTX 260 graphics card!"

Seriously the stuff I'm getting ready to discard is the stuff that passes for "high end gaming!" according to facebook sellers.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Another thing that drives me crazy is the people that sell these quad core AMD computers on eBay for $400 and say "Perfect for Minecraft."

When people think the monitor is the computer

When people say the camera on their 4th gen ipod touch is probably better than my mirrorless

When people assume that if something is more expensive it must be automatically better (cough Apple cough)

When people assume that I can magically open any type of file on any computer without installing anything and get irritated when I tell them to give me 10 minutes to download openoffice portable or gimp

2gb of VRAM! written in huge letters on pictures of laptops with gt 710s

When people think having more storage will miraculously have their pc run faster.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

When people don't understand different types of lag and say that their PC is running slow because their internet connection is crap.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

consoles are better @ gaming.. :mellow:

^ This. Tears of freaking lava. Words cannot express the rage.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

People thinking that APUs are good for gaming. NO.
my dad thinking that having an external 5400rpm HDD hooked up to USB 3.0 will make it faster. NO.

When people think you need an optical drive to boot a computer (they did at one point.)
People thinking I am hacking when I bypass a command line block at school. That is not hacking, that is CRACKING.
When people mix RAM and brag about how awesome their 12/24GB computer is!!!
The absolute worst though is when someone is goaded into buying an overpriced video cable because "those cheap ones will give you really bad image quality."

Or whenever a member of Best Buy's computer staff opens his mouth (no offense to those of you on here who DO work at Best Buy -- this does not apply to you because you are here)

1. People who think that entering someone else's Facebook/Insta/etc is hacking

"LOLL HACKED BY CARLLYYYYYY SAM BE IN DA WASHROOM SHUD I WATCH HER LOLOLOL #HACKED #PASSWORD #WASHROOM LOL"

I hate this more than anything. It's insulting more than anything.

I also hate how people don't see my PC being justifiable but still consider Macs great options for computers.

I also really hate people who recommend Macs to a freshman with barely any money to their name, claiming it's the only way to do work.

I understand that some people don't need an expensive computer, but I absolutely hate it when people argue that you should never spend over $500 on a PC because THEY don't see the practicality of it.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

consoles are better @ gaming.. :mellow:

A console could be better at gaming. Depends on the pc.

Another thing that dives me crazy is people that say they overclock their hard drive.