Adding VRAM, is it possible? Seriously, not kidding.

Hi again everyone,

So... I was modding Skyrim and added loads of graphics mod and an ENB making the game totally stunning to my eyes, but the thing is I start to notice my 2GB Inno3D iChill GTX770 is failing on me, it just keeps running out of VRAM and CTD miserably, especially in open, flat terrains.

Upon Research I found out that heavily modded Skyrim actually needs more than what I would expect, most of the forum posts indicates heavily modded Skyrim will at least need 3GB of VRAM. I got frustrated with the constant CTD and tried a lot of software methods (e.g. texture optimizer, performance mod)to try to reduce the VRAM usage but have not gained a bit success. I really don't wanna sacrifice the visual quality, so I didn't went for the visually downgrading methods.

After more googling and stuff, I found out that the 4GB versions of the GTX770s, no matter for which brand, have no big physical differences from the 2GB version, except for more flash chips, usually positioned at the back of the card, around the GPU (probably because Nvidia limits the power delivery and PCB design?).

I also notice the positions and suspected soldering pads (though without solder but numerous tiny pits)  for those flash also exist in the 2GB versions, then I wonder: will adding VRAM to these 2GB GTX770s just be as simple as placing the flash chips and reflowing them with a hot air gun? 
Some examples:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127751 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133490

Then I got more into the details and found out the that the Inno3D iChill 2GB GTX770 I have, uses the GDDR5 flash chips, modle-named H5GQ2H24AFR (R2C) from SKhynix (link:http://www.skhynix.com/products/graphics/graphics.jsp?info.ramCategory=&info.ramKind=26&info.eol=NOT&posMap=graphicsGDDR5), with density of 2Gb. At the same time, the company produces GDDR5 flash with 4Gb density, but I don't exactly how it differs, is it the total capacity of VRAM? I don't know.

To my curiosity, I wanted to know the answers but couldn't find a single thing about adding VRAM to graphics card on the internet, so I have came to see if there are more intelligent brains here that can unveil the truth.

So to make things simple, here are the questions:

1. Generally, can lower vram capacity versions of graphics card be added vram through reflowing flash chips on the aforementioned positions? Is bio flashing or any software tweaking needed? Are there past examples and attempts, succeed or failed, being recorded and are available for reference?

2. What effect has the densities (namely 1Gb, 2Gb and 4Gb) of the GDDR5 flash chips on the outcome? Is it the total capacity or something else? I also notice there is a difference under the variable short-termed ORG., where the 2Gb and 4Gb densities, are 64MX32 and 128MX32 respectively.

Thank you so much and any input is much appreciated, mods please feel free to move my post to other sections if you think my post is not related.

I don't think you can add VRAM to cards. I had an old POS PCI video card that you could add a 2MB add-in board for a whopping 4MB of VRAM. But times have changed.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Let's go solder and Frankenstein our graphics card! :D

I think this is something that's tied to the card's BIOS and it being recognized in the driver properly, so I don't think it would work even if you managed to replace all of the memory chips.

Sell the 2GB 770.

Buy a 4GB 770.

Build Log: Monochrome

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H | Graphics Card: Asus HD 7970 DirectCU II | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | PSU: Corsair CXM 600 | Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB,2 Seagate Baracuda 3TB | Case: Corsair 350D Window

As I expected, the answer is probably no, but how about the second question, can someone answer that?

Even if you some how manged to perfectly solder on the correct speed and capacity chips, without short-circuiting or melting the board, it wouldn't work.

You would need to create a custom BIOS for the card and possibly even drivers.

EDIT: I think there have been cases where Vram was added to a card after assembly, but those were all old cards, you cant do that on modern GPU's.

Also, the 4Gb variant is meant for SLI, getting that card is not a smart idea unless you are going to get another identical card.

If you truly need more Vram get a R9 290(X) or go all the way up for a 780 (6Gb version or not).

Personally I would just tune down the mods.......

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Your card's bios also has its own hardware device ID (seen in GPUZ) that states its settings,.....example... a 2GB 770 @ those frequencies.

You'd no doubt have to flash the 4GB bios onto your 2GB card... to enable "software" to see the 4GB, otherwise, even if you transplanted more vram, it may only be seen as 2GB still until you flash a new hardware device ID (the 4GB model) onto it.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I am not suggesting that I would do it myself, instead I just wanna see if there's a possibility to this and how big is it, and yeah I agree to what SkilledRebuilds said.
I probably would tried this if I were a rich dude, but apparently I am not.

As for the second question, I think it make sense, I don't know why Liam-McShane said it doesn't. Sakketheenigineer thanks for your attempt to answer the second question but I think you got me wrong  there. I was asking about the SKHynix flash chips themselves and what the stated density and ORG. difference means in real world outcome, not anything about two cards running in SLI.

Thanks for all of your great and some humorous replies, I guess the post is probably pretty pointless to be continued at this point.

Snip.

If you some how removed the current chips soldered new nearly identical but double density chips and flashed a new bios (eg if you had a 2GB 770 flash a 4GB 770 Bios) and then tear open the gpu and remove the internal limiter... It still wouldn't work. Not a chance in hell.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas