Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel
7 minutes ago, Avericious said:

True enough. It would probably be more accurately described as a superhero parody wouldn't it.

it wasn't much of a deconstruction in the first place. i can see some aspects of the series to be deconstruction but it's nowhere near to the amount of a series such as madoka magica 

1 hour ago, Charger said:

the dog is making it hard to get in and out of my computer chair right now 

sFPuTKKl.jpg

Looks like they've lost the will to live since you strapped on the "cone of shame" and have opted to lay down on the railroad tracks instead of enduring the humiliation.

6 hours ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

I still don't see why people call it a "deconstruction", to be honest. It hasn't done any real theme exploration yet. Maybe if it gets to some actual deconstruction in subsequent seasons I'll agree. In the meantime Concrete Revolutio was actually a deconstruction of superhero anime (and the concept of superheros in general), but nobody watched it because One Punch Man got all the hype :)

Death Parade lags behind anime for younger teens, sure, but it's very popular for its intended target audience (adolescents). It's kind of a given that a show for younger teens will have a larger viewership, and hence higher popularity rankings, so if you consider that natural handicap, Death Parade's doing quite well.

And yeah, DigiBro's quite right about A-1 being the McDonald's of anime (just like I've always said KyoAni is the Wonderbread of anime).

To be honest, I consider myself not having high standards (I think random standards are more like it in my case as I rate different shows differently based on how it can cater to the child inside me and/or the adult that I am right now. I personally rate Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru higher than Clannad [not really over Afterstory, though] and some people found me strange for it.). I'll check out Concrete Revolutio (is it spelt that way?). I just found One Punch Man to be a good show on deconstructing heroes. Then again, as of now, despite not being an anime, I dare say Watchmen is a really good example of a deconstruction of a superhero.

But oh well, you're right about Death Parade. I guess I'll retract what I said about it underrated.

6 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

Looks like they've lost the will to live since you strapped on the "cone of shame" and have opted to lay down on the railroad tracks instead of enduring the humiliation.

lol she has had the cone on for about a week now since she was spayed last weekend. The reason she is under my chair is she was trying to hide from firework sounds since people here are stupid and think lighting fireworks within walking distance of a police department is a good idea.

2 hours ago, WynLore said:

To be honest, I consider myself not having high standards (I think random standards are more like it in my case as I rate different shows differently based on how it can cater to the child inside me and/or the adult that I am right now. I personally rate Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru higher than Clannad [not really over Afterstory, though] and some people found me strange for it.). I'll check out Concrete Revolutio (is it spelt that way?). I just found One Punch Man to be a good show on deconstructing heroes. Then again, as of now, despite not being an anime, I dare say Watchmen is a really good example of a deconstruction of a superhero.

But oh well, you're right about Death Parade. I guess I'll retract what I said about it underrated.

Yeah, that's the spelling of Concrete Revolutio. It's a weird series, so don't be surprised if you don't quite like it right away. It's kind of the opposite of One Punch Man in many respects. It rewards patience, but if you're just after a dumb straightforward show then it might not be for you (I like dumb straightforward shows too, mind you).

I'm at the point now where I suspect that people are really just in love with the IDEA of One Punch Man more than the show itself. There are other better recent superhero anime with very similar ideas to One Punch, like Astro Fighter Sunred, Tiger and Bunny, etc, but younger audiences always nitpick shows unless they're the newest popular thing being hyped.

As for Death Parade, don't worry about that... I used to also be annoyed at how my peers under-rated shows just because they weren't being hyped or because they were for people just a few years older than them.

alright guys, I had no idea where I should write this so I'd just write it here

2016.... a new year.. a new dilemma... well here's my current biggest dilemma.

okay so, I just got out of hand with gundam and Tamiya Mini4WD (putting them together is sort of my addiction) and yeah... now I come to the zone that my friend brought me to, Figures..... so my plan on buying my first figure is either Kongo, Shigure, Yamato, or Akagi (KanColle, not the actual ship model), specifically. AGP Kongo Kai Ni and/or Nendoroid Kongo, Scale Figure Shigure Kai Ni, AGP Yamato and/or GSC Yamato Heavy Armament ver., and the Akagi.... (Haven't search it but Akagai would be my last option *see my profile pic)

*What's the problem with those?

well the problem is money, they're not "affordable" in the eyes of students, but well yeah.. I can save my money for 3 months WHICH require me to pass lunch, and by this... I'd like to get the "best" in terms of details (between the mentioned above, ofc), and size..... bigger than my Space Jahannam (which is around 14cm in height) then I'd be happy, why? the "mentioned above" cost way more than a Gundam RG (excluding limited editions and rare ones) aaaaaaand.... when my parents saw it they'll probably be mad if they know much it cost and knowing it that it only at the same height as my Space Jahannam (quite small if you ask me)

*why space jahannam? it's the one posing in front of me right now

1 hour ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

Yeah, that's the spelling of Concrete Revolutio. It's a weird series, so don't be surprised if you don't quite like it right away. It's kind of the opposite of One Punch Man in many respects. It rewards patience, but if you're just after a dumb straightforward show then it might not be for you (I like dumb straightforward shows too, mind you).

I'm at the point now where I suspect that people are really just in love with the IDEA of One Punch Man more than the show itself. There are other better recent superhero anime with very similar ideas to One Punch, like Astro Fighter Sunred, Tiger and Bunny, etc, but younger audiences always nitpick shows unless they're the newest popular thing being hyped.

As for Death Parade, don't worry about that... I used to also be annoyed at how my peers under-rated shows just because they weren't being hyped or because they were for people just a few years older than them.

Dumb straightforward shows always get me. Half-and-half it either makes me fall in love with it or just makes me upset along the way. I don't mind if the pacing of a show is slow provided it can make full use of all of how many episodes they want to/are allowed to air, whether there will be another season or not. Asterisk War pretty much gave pacing a big fat middle finger and... it really shouldn't have. It was either fast, slow, or both each episode. Its fast at times that I think really needed to be slowed down to establish a character, an environment, or something, and its slow at a time that its used for something like exposition or some random ass shit that could've been allocated for something else like, I dunno, character development or character establishment? I like my fan service, but we have hentai sites left and right anyways.

About One Punch Man... I find it stupidly fun that it just somehow worked. I think its meant to be something stupid that turned out to be a superhero deconstruction series like how and why some heroes are heroes, how and why some heroes don't listen to reason, how some heroes are total assholes, how some of them care about their ranks, and how some of them legitimately care for the people. Sometimes, it begs the question: "If you're a superhero, and there's a version of the Justice League but ran pretty much by the government OR privately owned, has a ranking system, and some other benefits per rank progression and what not, what would you really do when you're in it?". The question itself is kinda stupid, but fuck... it actually works. I mean, its stupidly funny that Saitama was unintentionally the actual founder of the Hero Association for saving a kid with balls for a chin from a lobster that the kid drew nipples on... and Saitama had to work from pretty much the bottom, despite that he very well could destroy all of them if he wanted to. I find it funny he doesn't really know about it.

And yeah, after watching three episodes of Erased/Boku Dake Ga Inai Machi... is this REALLY the same guy who directed Sword Art Online? It doesn't look like it. The composition was really, really good. The establishing shots, the cuts, the framing, I haven't seen this from an A-1 show (I haven't watched alot of their shows, but still...) at all.

Guys I wanted to ask this question for some time now, but always forgot to do so. Why do most, mainly male, characters in anime hold their bags in the one handed, over the shoulder style? I mean I can't imagine myself holding a bag that way, I find it very uncomfortable, at least if their wrist was inward facing the shoulder but it being outwards it just looks and feels even more uncomfortable. 

Was just wondering...

Illustrational pic in case you don't know what I'm talking about(first pic I found on Google pics lol)

82a2e8adbcd7ed011255c64ad9b89925fba91292

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

15 minutes ago, WynLore said:

About One Punch Man... I find it stupidly fun that it just somehow worked. I think its meant to be something stupid that turned out to be a superhero deconstruction series like how and why some heroes are heroes, how and why some heroes don't listen to reason, how some heroes are total assholes, how some of them care about their ranks, and how some of them legitimately care for the people. Sometimes, it begs the question: "If you're a superhero, and there's a version of the Justice League but ran pretty much by the government OR privately owned, has a ranking system, and some other benefits per rank progression and what not, what would you really do when you're in it?". The question itself is kinda stupid, but fuck... it actually works. I mean, its stupidly funny that Saitama was unintentionally the actual founder of the Hero Association for saving a kid with balls for a chin from a lobster that the kid drew nipples on... and Saitama had to work from pretty much the bottom, despite that he very well could destroy all of them if he wanted to. I find it funny he doesn't really know about it.

That's why I call the show "decent" (I rate things more harshly than most people). But then pretty much every modern superhero show has elements like that, especially parodies and such. OPM's just the latest iteration in that formula. I understand why people like it, I just don't understand why they blow so much smoke up its proverbial ass. It's a solid 7/10 show if we're being honest, maybe an 8 if you happen to love that sort of thing. But everyone's been giving it 10/10 and acting like it's the best anime of 2015 as though it's the only anime they watched that year.

1 minute ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

That's why I call the show "decent" (I rate things more harshly than most people). But then pretty much every modern superhero show has elements like that, especially parodies and such. OPM's just the latest iteration in that formula. I understand why people like it, I just don't understand why they blow so much smoke up its proverbial ass. It's a solid 7/10 show if we're being honest, maybe an 8 if you happen to love that sort of thing. But everyone's been giving it 10/10 and acting like it's the best anime of 2015 as though it's the only anime they watched that year.

Well... yeah, fuck those guys who overrate the show. I'd give it an 8 because it has that fun factor I like in an action comedy, but come on... 10/10? Even the Monogatari series, despite that its loved by alot of people, struggle to maintain a 9 from even its most devoted fans... and OPM doesn't deserve a 10 or a 9, IMHO.

3 hours ago, ManOfDisguise said:

Guys I wanted to ask this question for some time now, but always forgot to do so. Why do most, mainly male, characters in anime hold their bags in the one handed, over the shoulder style? I mean I can't imagine myself holding a bag that way, I find it very uncomfortable, at least if their wrist was inward facing the shoulder but it being outwards it just looks and feels even more uncomfortable. 

Was just wondering...

Illustrational pic in case you don't know what I'm talking about(first pic I found on Google pics lol)

82a2e8adbcd7ed011255c64ad9b89925fba91292

Because it's the "cool" thing to do.

I honestly can't think of any other reason than that but I have noticed it a lot in anime. I think it is along the same lines of guys in a western school themed TV show only wearing their bag with one strap instead of two.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Just now, DragonTamer1 said:

Because it's the "cool" thing to do.

I honestly can't think of any other reason than that but I have noticed it a lot in anime. I think it is along the same lines of guys in a western school themed TV show only wearing their bag with one strap instead of two.

Yea it is the cool thing to do over there, but I just don't see why anyone would hold a bag like that irl(IF there are people, at least in Japan who hold bags like that irl). Seriously, try it with a big or just walking with your hand like that it feels pretty weird and uncomfortable lol :P

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

2 hours ago, WynLore said:

Well... yeah, fuck those guys who overrate the show. I'd give it an 8 because it has that fun factor I like in an action comedy, but come on... 10/10? Even the Monogatari series, despite that its loved by alot of people, struggle to maintain a 9 from even its most devoted fans... and OPM doesn't deserve a 10 or a 9, IMHO.

Speaking of Monagatari I need to start watching Monogatari 2nd season have been putting it on hold for a long time now :/

Specs of my PC:

Anyone read the DB Super manga? It's actually going at a nice pace and the first fight between Goku and Botamo took only 2 chapters, I expected it to drag on for like 5+ chapters lol. Definitely liking the manga much more than the anime so far.

Specs of my PC:

3 hours ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

Yes OPM is definitely overrated, it's good for what it is, a parody and comedy anime/gag manga but people are seriously overrating it. I even saw people write things like "One Punch Man saved anime" and things like that... And of course most of the people that are saying that OPM is like the best anime ever are the ones who watch like maybe 5 anime max alltogether and of course to no surprise the most mainstream ones as well. And I love when people get in fights about Saitama vs this and that character(Saitama vs Goku,Saitama vs Superman, etc.) "THIS FICTIONAL CHARACTER IS BETTER THAN THAT FICTIONAL CHARACTER!" 

Specs of my PC:

3 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

I'm watching To Love-Ru now as I fell asleep, but I told you I'm into fucked up humor+a masochist.

lol well if its your thing, go right ahead.

Meanwhile i got a lot of editing to do on these old ass, crappy videos i filmed like 5 or 6 months ago when i was building my desk in my closet. Trying to put together a Build log thread. need to get everything done by wed since my setup will be done then

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

2 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

My degree

Nice. In the same time I`m wasting my time watching stuff like this xD

L6fDLcS%2B-%2BImgur.gif

0BPbqUx.jpg

ASRock Z97 PRO 4| i7-4790К@4600MHz/1.26V| Noctua NH-D14| 16GB ADATA@1800Mhz| Gigabyte GTX 660 WF OC| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB; Samsung 860 Pro 256GB; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB| Seasonic SS-650KM3 Gold| CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate| Mionix Naos 7000|

1 hour ago, ManOfDisguise said:

Yes OPM is definitely overrated, it's good for what it is, a parody and comedy anime/gag manga but people are seriously overrating it. I even saw people write things like "One Punch Man saved anime" and things like that... And of course most of the people that are saying that OPM is like the best anime ever are the ones who watch like maybe 5 anime max alltogether and of course to no surprise the most mainstream ones as well. And I love when people get in fights about Saitama vs this and that character(Saitama vs Goku,Saitama vs Superman, etc.) "THIS FICTIONAL CHARACTER IS BETTER THAN THAT FICTIONAL CHARACTER!" 

One surefire way to know if an anime is overrated and overhyped is when people are saying it's saving anime and is an 11/10 BEFORE it even airs. That sort of thing makes me not want to watch an anime anymore. I mean, OPM was being rated higher on IMDB than Breaking Bad before it even finished. Um, no, kids. It's a show that doesn't even live up to the limited potential it draws up for itself (not that Breaking Bad necessarily deserves 10/10 status or anything, but it's certainly not inferior to One Punch Man). But kids will be kids, jumping on the bandwagon and trying to steer it.

5 minutes ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

One surefire way to know if an anime is overrated and overhyped is when people are saying it's saving anime and is an 11/10 BEFORE it even airs. That sort of thing makes me not want to watch an anime anymore. I mean, OPM was being rated higher on IMDB than Breaking Bad before it even finished. Um, no, kids. It's a show that doesn't even live up to the limited potential it draws up for itself (not that Breaking Bad necessarily deserves 10/10 status or anything, but it's certainly not inferior to One Punch Man). But kids will be kids, jumping on the bandwagon and trying to steer it.

Yep and also don't forget the people saying "Oh it's done by Madhouse? Best anime of the season!"

But I'm kind of glad the 1st season ended already since this anime was being talked about everywhere! I get it, it's good but if you overhype and overpraise it it also in a way takes out the enjoyment of watching it, since the expectations are set so incredibly high. Glad I got around to watching it before it completely blew up(or before I noticed that it blew up). 

Edit: that said there are anime out there that I was told are amazing and even masterpieces and they did in fact live up to the hype(Steins Gate for example) but all of them had something very interesting going for them(story mainly) and well, OPM kind of doesn't :/

Specs of my PC:

Yusuke Murata's art was the only really great thing about the OPM manga.

Obviously the anime cannot live up to his art, but it was fine.

4 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

d3ros.JPG.1e8aebfd25f03dda0addef58f28cd9

Gunna be a long day with the gf.  Got her and I matching DLC.

That's gonna be fun

Bought Lords of the Fallen today, played it for about an hour and a half and I liked it, it's not as hard as Dark Souls but it has some fun mechanics etc.

I also watched ep 42, 43, 44 and 45 of Ace of Diamond, it's getting exciting. I wonder how good the match will be

Deleted code is debugged code.

7 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

My degree.  The computer science and math tracks are on my transcript.

i have an aa and a bfa they have yet to do anything for me lol

1 hour ago, Charger said:

i have an aa and a bfa they have yet to do anything for me lol

Really?  Think you're exaggerating a bit no?  I would have sworn that they'd at least have manage to cost you 30 dollars to frame them.

lowblow.jpg

/me flexes

Take it!

ead441cc7f34dc87a75821b7cd8ab94613649213

Well, despite having little time for it, I've been having pretty good luck with manga lately.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni manga (c8). decent.
Chapter 7 had an important moment that shows that this manga isn't about misunderstandings. Chapter 8 followed up by flashing back to Akira's accident. Overall, they were important chapters, but didn't really have a ton of impact because the manga still feels a bit disjoint in how it presents things. It felt like they merely wanted to end the first volume on a cliffhanger and thus just presented what we expected to pad things out until the next volume. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy it, but I'll definitely be hoping that they start capitalizing on the themes and topics that should go with a story like this, because it would be a crying shame to waste such atypical and sympathetic leads.

Boku no Hero Academia manga (v5-c79). good.
I'm glad they're still developing the characters well here, but I fear that the general direction of the story is slowly turning into "just another Shounen Jump manga". It's still one of the better ones, but I can't say I'm looking forward to thousands of chapters of wheel-spinning just for a pretty generic and uninspired heros vs villains tale. That said, I'm happy that the art quality and the battles are still creative enough to keep reading this one as a fun teamwork story. I can't say that I'm impressed with the manga, but at least it's trying to entertain me.. and that I appreciate, since Shounen Jump titles tend to aim at the lowest possible hanging fruit and end up squandering their potential. There is still potential here for a good coming of age story for many characters at once, and so I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

Renai Kaidan Sayako-san manga (v3). good.
I'm still not 100% sold on this manga, but it's definitely interesting. They seem to be waffling about whether to build up the central romance or not, and at the same time they're really hammering in the whole "everyone in this manga is wretched in some way" aspect while not losing the comedy angle. It's eerily reminiscent of Kyoukai no Rinne at times, especially when they belabor the point about how poor the MC is. Overall the cast and comedy are improving, so I'm also cautiously optimistic about this manga, but I'm not getting the vibe that it's something special... just a fun little time-waster.

Spice and Wolf manga (v11). good.
This arc was the nadir of the light novels, but in manga form they're managing to take the weakest material and make more sense of it, because the pacing of the story isn't as broken as the light novels were in this phase of the story. I finally confirmed my suspicions as to what the heck was going on in this arc's various schemes, and while I'm still greatly disappointed in their Eve character (reducing her to a mere romantic interest), at least the manga version of this story felt a bit more focused and tense throughout. I just don't know what the heck they're doing now in the story, because it looks like they're skipping a volume or two (and perhaps another of the best moments in the series, which would greatly disappoint me).

Tomo-chan's a Girl! manga (c248-255). good.
It was worth it to see Gundou get what she wanted, but not exactly. Also cute was the omake with Tomo's parents. Overall I'm glad they're back in fine form again, though I'm hoping they manage to find a higher gear to kick into at some point.

Seitokai Yakuindomo manga (c364). good.
This was actually surprisingly funny. They made good use of the characters this time, and managed to keep a tired cliche from being too tired, especially with the arm-wrestling joke.

Letter Bee manga (c94). decent.
Weak translation is weak, but at least we've finally hit the story's low point just before the final fight. There are certainly interesting ideas here, as usual, but there is no real sense of gravity. This is one series that could probably do with a remake that uses the elements in a better story with the looming threat more clear, and the characters as complex as the proceedings require. If Lag had truly grown over the course of the series, and the various other people involved had been given clearer motivations and such, then this could have been a pretty interesting final arc. As it stands it's just a bunch of stuff happening that looks like it should be a lot more compelling than it really is.

Actually, I'm... manga (c113). good.
Heh. Even when this manga forces a subplot for a joke, it's funny as hell. Not much to say except that it was a really nice change of pace, even if it's hard to buy that the chapter would end just like that (I'm guessing it's just the start of another funny-facial-expression bonanza?).

2 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

Really?  Think you're exaggerating a bit no?  I would have sworn that they'd at least have manage to cost you 30 dollars to frame them.

Hidden Content

never even framed them