Intel Tiger Lake launch event

porina
15 hours ago, Vacras said:

I would be surprised if it was the best AMD CPU Intel has ever built :D

Well if you go back far enough you could have actually said the reverse, the best Intel CPU AMD has made, or Cyrix etc 🤣

11 hours ago, LAwLz said:

If anyone says anything good about Intel then clearly it's a conspiracy and Intel have been bribing someone!

Cant say they dont deserve it to some degree........  Right now we do not know anything about what sort of cooling it had and in what environment the tests were done so ill just presume they are again bending a few things to make themselves look better.

5 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Cant say they dont deserve it to some degree........  Right now we do not know anything about what sort of cooling it had and in what environment the tests were done so ill just presume they are again bending a few things to make themselves look better.

But we do know Principal Technology was involved so, CONSPIRACY CONFIRMED!!!!

Spoiler

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

https://edc.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/performance/benchmarks/11th-generation-intel-core-mobile-processors/

Test configurations above. I haven't gone over it.

There are some other performance claim slides I've seen since the event yesterday, just digesting it before reposting those.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just added to OP a tweet from Legit Reviews including some gaming performance charts. I've also found and linked the Intel video where that was probably taken from, but not had a chance to watch it myself yet. It seems to go more into the technical side.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Another area for confusion: TDP! Well, more confusion than normal, if that's possible.

The top end Tiger Lake parts are 12-28W TDP range, with a nominal 15W. An obvious question when they were putting it against the 4800U was at what power was that running? 4800U is listed on AMD's website as 10-25W TDP, with a nominal of 15W also. Presuming both were run at the upper limit of their respective TDP ranges (I haven't gone over the test configurations posted earlier), Tiger Lake would have a slight power advantage at 28W vs 25W.

@leadeater thanks for the screenshot. I saw the video title but I stopped watching GN a long time ago for multiple reasons. However, I would agree that the Tiger Lake model numbers are not exactly memorable or easy to say.

28 minutes ago, porina said:

The top end Tiger Lake parts are 12-28W TDP range, with a nominal 15W. An obvious question when they were putting it against the 4800U was at what power was that running? 4800U is listed on AMD's website as 10-25W TDP, with a nominal of 15W also. Presuming both were run at the upper limit of their respective TDP ranges (I haven't gone over the test configurations posted earlier), Tiger Lake would have a slight power advantage at 28W vs 25W.

Thankfully Intel Ark specs actually list the base clocks at 12W, I wouldn't have been shocked if they did not. But to be fair listing both is better, AMD should also do it.

I have to agree on GN regarding presentation. NVIDIA could make fun of AMD and laugh about their massive performance leap compared to Radeon 5700 XT, but they kept it classy and only compared it to their own products. I respect that. Intel's presentation felt like pure raw desperation and something an angry Intel fanboy would do.

Which is weird given how Intel hired bunch of people who are more in touch with consumers and public to prevent this exactly and yet they somehow managed to make it even worse. I just don't get Intel right now. Like, not at all.

Tiger Lake actually doesn't look bad, they still have the turbo clocks, they improved iGPU dramatically, but the naming scheme is just plain retarded and their constant pissing on AMD just makes them look desperate and lame.

Sure, AMD compares their products to Intel too, but it's sort of understandable, they've been out of the CPU game for so long they need to showcase they are very much relevant. But they still keep it classy. There is nothing wrong is showing your CPU does some task faster by X seconds and also mention at lower power consumption while at it. And that's it. Calling competition "imitators" is childish and lame. That's the difference.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I have to agree on GN regarding presentation. NVIDIA could make fun of AMD and laugh about their massive performance leap compared to Radeon 5700 XT, but they kept it classy and only compared it to their own products. I respect that. Intel's presentation felt like pure raw desperation and something an angry Intel fanboy would do.

Which is weird given how Intel hired bunch of people who are more in touch with consumers and public to prevent this exactly and yet they somehow managed to make it even worse. I just don't get Intel right now. Like, not at all.

Tiger Lake actually doesn't look bad, they still have the turbo clocks, they improved iGPU dramatically, but the naming scheme is just plain retarded and their constant pissing on AMD just makes them look desperate and lame.

Sure, AMD compares their products to Intel too, but it's sort of understandable, they've been out of the CPU game for so long they need to showcase they are very much relevant. But they still keep it classy. There is nothing wrong is showing your CPU does some task faster by X seconds and also mention at lower power consumption while at it. And that's it. Calling competition "imitators" is childish and lame. That's the difference.

AMD? Keeping it classy? Oh please. AMD has been constantly bashing Intel for years now with the same type of marketing Intel is now doing. Maybe Intel is pissed and wanted to give AMD a taste of their own medicine, but it comes across as kind of pitiful.

Here is what GN had to say about AMD's marketing a couple of months ago (4:18):

Basically, what is says about AMD's marketing is that it appeals to stupid kids who goes "AMD gud, Intel bad lol". It hasn't been classy at all.

To me, the only company doing "classy" marketing right now is Nvidia. 

13 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Then we weren't watching the same presentations...

Just look at the video I linked. It's filled with AMD doing, in Steve's words "infantile shit flinging". Not classy.

It's not something everyone has seen since a lot of it takes place on Reddit, but let's face it, AMD has participated in a lot of "infantile shit flinging" aimed at Intel, and a lot of stupid and easily amused fanboys have given them plenty of pats on the backs for it.

Again, not classy.

If you only look at some of AMD's marketing (like the presentations from Su) then it might come across as classy, but the same can be said for Intel (if you ignore some marketing and only look at some other marketing material). When you look at both companies as a whole then I'd say AMD has basically loaded a super soaker with diarrhea and has been blasting that at full power for a couple of years now. Intel just threw their first turd at AMD, and Nvidia is still squeaky clean. Probably because if Nvidia started making jokes aimed at AMD then it would basically be like a bully picking on a disabled kid, which I don't think anyone would find tasteful.

• 2 weeks later...

@RejZoR Gamers nexus released another video about how unclassy AMD's marketing is a few days ago. Might be worth watching if you still think AMD has "classy" marketing.

On 9/2/2020 at 3:51 PM, LAwLz said:

Dude, this is LTT forum.

If anyone says anything good about AMD then it's fine and normal.

If anyone says anything good about Intel then clearly it's a conspiracy and Intel have been bribing someone!

Going with the logical conclusion that websites try and write clickbait and/or hyperbole headlines all the time to get as many clicks as possible is kinda boring. Let's jump on the conspiracy wagon instead! That's way more interesting.

Anyway, Tiger Lake seems really good.

The new CPU cores sounds very promising architecture wise.

Higher clock speeds and these new products launching seems to indicate that Intel are finally moving forward with their lithography.

That GPU seems like a beast.

I really hope Intel brings out some really good products that can give AMD a run for their money. It's nice that AMD are back in the lead but it's best for us consumers if both AMD and Intel are trading punches. 

Also, Ian Cutress has posted a ton of questions and answers about Tiger Lake on his Twitter.

https://twitter.com/IanCutress

Here is the Twitter thread:

I’d go so far as to say that Xe looks really powerful as iGPUs/apus go.  More than is needed for many things less than in needed for many things.   The 4800u actually having less graphics capability could be an advantage is some situations where it requires less electricity to run.  It seems to be faster than Vega7.  Is it faster than vega11?  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumor has it that Rocket Lake-U (not the S-line for desktops) has been replaced with 8-core Tiger Lake-U with DDR5 support: https://www.hardwaretimes.com/intel-reportedly-cancels-rocket-lake-u-8-core-tiger-lake-u-ddr5-alder-lake-p-in-pipeline/

Probably to combat the upcoming Van Gogh APUs from AMD which also have DDR5 support and updated graphics.

But hey, at least their naming for their line of laptop CPUs will be simplified! ^_^

4 minutes ago, Results45 said:

Rumor has it that Rocket Lake-U (not the S-line for desktops) has been replaced with 8-core Tiger Lake-U with DDR5 support:

Interesting... I've never followed mobile that closely, didn't even know Rocket Lake mobile was going to be a thing (only the desktop variant). I suppose we can take it as a good sign if the mobile Rocket Lake was, like the desktop version, supposed to be built on 14nm. Does that indicate their 10nm process is finally usable in volume they don't need it any more?