wireless vs wired mice

KieranTHeBesT

I’ve used Corsair and Logitech wireless mouses for the past 3 years with no issues. As long as they have the high speed wireless connection and a good sensor there isn’t a noticeable diff IMO.

I prefer wired because lower latency. yes there are some good mice with just a tad higher latency than wired but still i prefer wired.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

1 hour ago, KieranTHeBesT said:

i have been wondering if i should get a really light wired mouse or semi light wireless mouse price cap of 80$ any ideas?

What it comes down to is how annoying do you find the wire and what other annoyances are worth having instead.  Wired mice have advantages.  They’re lighter, faster, never run out of battery, more reliable, cheaper, And are generally a lot easier to find.  TheY have one sometimes big disadvantage though: the wire.

wireless mice can reduce or near eliminate a lot of these.

1 weight.  Reduced annoyance.

They’ve gotten a lot lighter.  Still heavier, but they’ve gotten lighter. 

2 speed.  Reduced annoyance.  Effectively eliminated with enough money.

they used to be a lot slower.  Now the expensive ones are barely slower

3. Battery life. reduced annoyance.
 An annoying problem.  Got less bad with rechargeable batteries.  Some have Qi wireless chargers so if you have a special mat with a window charger in a corner you can park it on it and recharge the battery.

4. More reliable.  No improvement.

rechargable batteries die, wireless signals get inturrupted, bits break.  This hasn’t really gotten better.  You can still find a shit wired mouse with reliability issues in software though

5. Cheaper. Reduced annoyance

the problem here is not that wireless mice got cheaper so much as that wired mice got more expensive.

6. A lot easier to find.  No improvement

a wired mouse is attached to your computer so it can’t fall allen that far from your desk and you can always follow the cable.  This imho is one of the biggest advantages of wired mice.

The wire.  How annoying is it for you? That’s a personal one.  

What I buy: $5 wired mice.  As good as a $50 wireless mouse and I like the $45 left over.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

38 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

rechargable batteries die, wireless signals get inturrupted, bits break.  This hasn’t really gotten better.

depends on which wireless mouse you are referring to, not all wireless mice has this problem 

proven here

Spoiler

Spoiler

https://prosettings.net/best-cs-go-mouse/

Logitech #2nd most used mouse among CS Pros on LAN events

38 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

$5 wired mice.  As good as a $50 wireless mouse and I like the $45 left over.

highly depends on your use case.

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

Logitech and razer wireless are so nice if you can afford them. Literally same performance as wired, very long lasting battery life and no annoying wire when you are gaming. The G305 is great and quite affordable too.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

They’ve gotten a lot lighter.  Still heavier, but they’ve gotten lighter

The G Pro Wireless at 80g (77 without the cover) and the Razer Viper Ultimate at 74g are still lighter than most gaming mice and pretty damn close to most ultralights.

they used to be a lot slower.  Now the expensive ones are barely slower

Not barely, as fast, if not a bit faster.

wireless signals get inturrupted, bits break.  This hasn’t really gotten better.

It absolutely has, literally half of CS pros use the G Pro Wireless in LAN tournaments with a ton of wireless interference and I have yet to hear of anyone having issues with it. Same with the Viper Ultimate, although this isn't as widely adopted as the G Pro.

$5 wired mice.  As good as a $50 wireless mouse and I like the $45 left over.

As long as you don't plan on doing any gaming, sure.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Logitech and razer wireless are so nice if you can afford them. Literally same performance as wired, very long lasting battery life and no annoying wire when you are gaming. The G305 is great and quite affordable too.

The G Pro Wireless at 80g (77 without the cover) and the Razer Viper Ultimate at 74g are still lighter than most gaming mice and pretty damn close to most ultralights.

It absolutely has, literally half of CS pros use the G Pro Wireless in LAN tournaments with a ton of wireless interference and I have yet to hear of anyone having issues with it. Same with the Viper Ultimate, although this isn't as widely adopted as the G Pro.

The lighter mice normally have pitiful battery and require things like expensive Qi mouse mats. 

They’re can be as fast if you don’t run into interference etc and faster is just ridiculous. For a start they have to go through more circuitry to be broadcast and to be received wirelessly on top of all the usual stuff the wireless mouse has to go through. Light and electricity travel so fast they’re not the limiting factor here either. 

I switched back to wired after have horrendous issues with a Corsair Dark Core. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

10 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

The lighter mice normally have pitiful battery and require things like expensive Qi mouse mats.

define pitiful battery life? pretty sure the GPW has the same battery as my G502 which is a full 42 grams heavier.

also the G305 is fairly light and still boast a 200hr battery life

They’re can be as fast if you don’t run into interference etc and faster is just ridiculous.

as previously mentioned here:

3 hours ago, Oswin said:

Spoiler

again, depends on which wireless mouse you are referring to, not all wireless mice has these issues.

Edited by Oswin

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

Just now, Lord Vile said:

My G Pro Wireless literally lasts like a week of use while using it for 10+ hours a day and charges in an hour. I'd say that pretty good IMO.

2 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

They’re can be as fast if you don’t run into interference etc and faster is just ridiculous.

You can find tests online that prove that they are at least as fast as wired (I think Linus has one as well). I think Logitech, with internal tests, have shown that their wireless implementation is even slightly faster than wired. As for interference, I would say that LANs have quite a lot and I have never heard of any pro having problems with their wireless mice at LANs.

6 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

For a start they have to go through more circuitry to be broadcast and to be received wirelessly on top of all the usual stuff the wireless mouse has to go through.

With good optimization and engineering, it's not impossible.

5 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Yes, which is why I specifically mentioned Logitech and Razer. These 2 are the only ones who have gotten it right so far.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

13 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

My G Pro Wireless literally lasts like a week of use while using it for 10+ hours a day and charges in an hour. I'd say that pretty good IMO.

You can find tests online that prove that they are at least as fast as wired (I think Linus has one as well). I think Logitech, with internal tests, have shown that their wireless implementation is even slightly faster than wired. As for interference, I would say that LANs have quite a lot and I have never heard of any pro having problems with their wireless mice at LANs.

With good optimization and engineering, it's not impossible.

Yes, which is why I specifically mentioned Logitech and Razer. These 2 are the only ones who have gotten it right so far.

Is that with or without lights? 

It is physically impossible for them to be faster, anything Logitech have put out would be lab made crap that in no way represents the real world. Also I remember seeing the Linus thing and poking holes in it. 

Depends on the location, a LAN, unless it’s massive, shouldn’t have more noise than a small household. I had no issue with a wireless mouse until I moved into a flat where there’s wireless signals bouncing all over the place and about 30

different internet hubs. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Is that with or without lights? 

With lights

4 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

It is physically impossible for them to be faster, anything Logitech have put out would be lab made crap that in no way represents the real world. Also I remember seeing the Linus thing and poking holes in it. 

As you can see, as fast if not slightly faster. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Depends on the location, a LAN, unless it’s massive, shouldn’t have more noise than a small household.

Would dreamhacks and arenas with thousands of spectators count?

9 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

With lights

I’ll watch the video again and pick it apart for you. 

Depends I can see dreamhacks organising WiFi communications to minimise interference plus there aren’t multiple boxes with different wavelengths from a myriad of devices pinging everywhere, all the computers should be wired and all the spectators would either be on cellular or a few WiFi boxes that are all operating together as a mesh. 

8 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Depends I can see dreamhacks organising WiFi communications to minimise interference plus there aren’t multiple boxes with different wavelengths from a myriad of devices pinging everywhere, all the computers should be wired and all the spectators would either be on cellular or a few WiFi boxes that are all operating together as a mesh. 

For what it's worth the only time I have ever heard of anyone having any issues with Logitech wireless is when they have their router on their desk right next to the mouse or if they have their receiver completely hidden or too far away from their mouse. As long as you have your receiver close to your mouse and don't have your router, or other devices that can introduce a lot of interference on your desk, you shouldn't have any interference issues. You're free to disagree because of your experience with Corsair wireless, but I'm just saying that Logitech doesn't have the same issues that Corsair does and this can be backed up by a quick google search. 

56 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Depends on the location, a LAN, unless it’s massive, shouldn’t have more noise than a small household. I had no issue with a wireless mouse until I moved into a flat where there’s wireless signals bouncing all over the place and about 30

different internet hubs. 

how much interference do you have?

sent this video 3 times, have you watched it?

*mind you this video was made 4 years ago.

Edited by Oswin

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

rechargable batteries die, wireless signals get inturrupted, bits break

Then why do literally every OW Professional player use a G Pro Wireless?

25 minutes ago, gloop said:

Only OW? CS:GO (when they aren't using Zowie) and Fortnite (when they aren't using a finalmouse) too

13 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Only OW? CS:GO (when they aren't using Zowie) and Fortnite (when they aren't using a finalmouse) too

not to mention the majority of R6 and Apex Legends players and the list goes on and on

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

2 minutes ago, Oswin said:

not to mention the majority of R6 and Apex Legends players and the list goes on and on

shit, i forgot r6s existed. Valorant too, not to mention the huge number of non pros, but very high level players that use it. 

4 hours ago, Oswin said:

define pitiful battery life? pretty sure the GPW has the same battery as my G502 which is a full 42 grams heavier.

also the G305 is fairly light and still boast a 200hr battery life

Just want to mention that I've put a AA Energizer Lithium Battery on my G305 on August of last year and the Logitech software still says it's full battery. Okay I always leave it at Endurance Mode but I use it 8h+ a day and it's been a year already.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black | 16GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | Asus PA329CV, Dell U2718Q and LG 65CX | Xduoo XD05 Basic | Sennheiser HD660s, beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Moondrop Kato and Sony WH-1000XM3 | Wacom Intuos Pro M | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Logitech G915 TKL | 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 + Pencil

1 minute ago, VSTOLL said:

on my G503

you do mean the G305?

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

Just now, Oswin said:

you do mean the G305?

Hahaha yeah, sorry about that. Fixed. Thanks for pointing it out.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black | 16GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | Asus PA329CV, Dell U2718Q and LG 65CX | Xduoo XD05 Basic | Sennheiser HD660s, beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Moondrop Kato and Sony WH-1000XM3 | Wacom Intuos Pro M | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Logitech G915 TKL | 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 + Pencil

7 hours ago, Oswin said:

depends on which wireless mouse you are referring to, not all wireless mice has this problem 

proven here

Hide contents

Reveal hidden contents

highly depends on your use case.

Re: #4

so signal interruption is becoming reduced/ eliminated in some more expensive models. Is such a mouse in the users budget?

re: $5 mice (rather than #5)

True.  I put that in there to point to my difference in use case. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Personally I don't mind wire, with good quality cable, bungee, I don't think about it. But wireless mice from Logitech and Razer are top notch, better than some wired, anyone following mice tech or play competitive know this. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

9 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

As long as you don't plan on doing any gaming, sure.

Re #1
so yes.  

I would also say that a mouse can be too light.  People have actually put weights in light mice to make them heavier. 

re: #2 speed

not sure how it is possible physics wise to do that. Might be possible that wired development totally stopped but wireless development kept going.  A wireless literally mouse requires more processing.  In apples to apples a wireless signal is just going to be slower than a wired one.  Might not be apples to apples anymore.

re: #4 reliability

same point as @Oswin then.  Reduce/near eliminated in some mice.  Draws same question: are they in budget?

re: end note (not 5)

I do game with my now 5 year old $5 mouse.  Thing is still sold but it’s a $20 mouse now.   I actually find it too sensitive, because it tends to jump around making aiming difficult.  I attribute that to my essential tremor issues and not the fault of the mouse.   Not a problem I expect other to have.

8 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

With lights

So Goes to perception. No perceptible difference.  Same issue as with SATA SSDs for gaming.  Nvme is lots faster than sata it just doesn’t matter in most or almost all situations. Saturate the port and things become equal if the same port is used. 

7 hours ago, gloop said:

Because wires are a big big problem in most competitive shooters. A great example of how the wire can be crippling and worth removing.  Not the only one.  There is also the whole “I just can’t frocking stand wires!” Thing which could be crippling too.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I would also say that a mouse can be too light.  People have actually put weights in light mice to make them heavier. 

Not sure how that's relevant since the point you were making is that wireless mice are too heavy.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

not sure how it is possible physics wise to do that. Might be possible that wired development totally stopped but wireless development kept going.  A wireless literally mouse requires more processing.  In apples to apples a wireless signal is just going to be slower than a wired one.  Might not be apples to apples anymore.

It actually is possible if the bottleneck is elsewhere, like the USB2.0 connection. And even if it was slower, it is only by 1-2ms which is impossible to notice and can definitely be considered as fast.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

same point as @Oswin then.  Reduce/near eliminated in some mice.  Draws same question: are they in budget?

You can get a G305 for $50 or even less.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I do game with my now 5 year old $5 mouse.  Thing is still sold but it’s a $20 mouse now.   I actually find it too sensitive, because it tends to jump around making aiming difficult.  I attribute that to my essential tremor issues and not the fault of the mouse.   Not a problem I expect other to have.

Yes, but I assume that you aren't that serious about gaming. I doubt it is too sensitive, it's probably not accurate enough TBH.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So Goes to perception. No perceptible difference.  Same issue as with SATA SSDs for gaming.  Nvme is lots faster than sata it just doesn’t matter in most or almost all situations. 

Not perception, they filmed it with a slow motion camera and the wireless was 1ms faster than wired on average.