Helping a friend with a build - some help would be appreciated!

Budget (including currency): Below $1600ish

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Primarily for gaming (but some homework as well). Specifically strategy games like Total War WH2, and other AAA games

Other details Going to be at 1080p 60hz. Already have all needed peripherals

Here's the list my friend came up with so far. I'm not as familiar with the range of hardware that's out there right now so I figured someone else should take a look at his list and give suggestions. I told him about the new Nvidia cards coming out shortly, but he isn't too concerned with having the latest and greatest GPU and won't upgrade for a number of years anyways. Not sure about that cooler in 2020 lol. Maybe someone could suggest a better one

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YnDQ4n

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($409.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($199.99 @ Best Buy) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($158.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card  ($399.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($154.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1573.92

if you are going to get something high end, i would strongly suggest waiting for the new zen 3 and nvidia ampere, it's just a couple months away.

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

3 minutes ago, Oswin said:

if you are going to get something high end, i would strongly suggest waiting for the new zen 3 and nvidia ampere, it's just a couple months away.

Yeah I mean that's what I told my friend, but I think he really doesn't care and just wants the stuff now

Just now, SnakeEater said:

Yeah I mean that's what I told my friend, but I think he really doesn't care and just wants the stuff now

well then, i dont think its a good idea to get something that is going to be outperformed in 2 months or so. will work on a build to help.

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

10700K and Hyper 212 sounds like a recipe for disaster. Also, 1080p 60Hz seems like quite a waste for a new PC with this budget tbh.

As suggested by @Oswin above, I would also advise waiting (if possible) a couple more months, since we're getting new GPUs (Nvidia Ampere and AMD RDNA2) as well as new CPUs (AMD Zen 3), especially if your mate plans on keeping the parts for as long as possible, without having to upgrade.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I dont think your friend would need 32GB of ram for a while so i switched it for 16GB. i put on a slighter better cooler. From what ive seen the wd blue sn550 performs better than the intel probably because the intel uses qlc. I bumped up the gpu. I really like the meshify case so i switched for that.

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

I dont think your friend would need 32GB of ram for a while so i switched it for 16GB. i put on a slighter better cooler. From what ive seen the wd blue sn550 performs better than the intel probably because the intel uses qlc. I bumped up the gpu. I really like the meshify case so i switched for that.

Good catch on the RAM! I didn't even notice he had put so much in there lol. 

12 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

10700K and Hyper 212 sounds like a recipe for disaster. Also, 1080p 60Hz seems like quite a waste for a new PC with this budget tbh.

As suggested by @Oswin above, I would also advise waiting (if possible) a couple more months, since we're getting new GPUs (Nvidia Ampere and AMD RDNA2) as well as new CPUs (AMD Zen 3), especially if your mate plans on keeping the parts for as long as possible, without having to upgrade.

Yeah it is a bit of a waste for sure. I'll probably try to convince him to upgrade to 1440 and a higher refresh rate at some point down the line. He's already got a monitor though so just getting the high end system no and waiting a bit for a better monitor makes sense to me

15 minutes ago, SnakeEater said:

Yeah it is a bit of a waste for sure. I'll probably try to convince him to upgrade to 1440 and a higher refresh rate at some point down the line. He's already got a monitor though so just getting the high end system no and waiting a bit for a better monitor makes sense to me

Mateyys list is FAR better than the option you have selected. I would STRONGLY suggest either waiting for new parts in two months or going with his list. I mean, the i7 is a massive and very power hungry/hot waste of money.

18 minutes ago, SnakeEater said:

Then if the monitor's out of the $1600 budget, you could swap the 2070S out for a 2080S and get a 1440p 144Hz monitor later on.

If you could also convince him to wait for a little longer for new hardware to come out, that'd also be ideal.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

5 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Then if the monitor's out of the $1600 budget, you could swap the 2070S out for a 2080S and get a 1440p 144Hz monitor later on.

If you could also convince him to wait for a little longer for new hardware to come out, that'd also be ideal.

Sigh yeah I know. It is what it is though. Sometimes you just want the instant gratification (and I think non tech people don't care as much anyays). I don't think I'll be able to, but I'll try. I'll probably recommend your build to him (with the 2080S) and then show him my 144hz 1440p monitor. He should definitely upgrade monitors within 6 months.