Community & Collaborate: Tiberian ROM - EA releases C&C Tiberian Dawn & Red Alert DLLs and code as Open Source

rcmaehl

Sources:
TNW (Quote source)

Reddit (EA statement)
The Verge (media source)

Summary:
EA has released Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert dlls and their corresponding source code under the GPLv3 license to enable mod support.

Media:

Quotes/Excerpts:

A today made the surprise announcement that the .dll files and corresponding source code for RTS classics Command and Conquer Red Alert and Command and Conquer Tiberian Dawn would be released into open source. The announcement came via a Reddit post related to the upcoming Command and Conquer remaster collection. This came as a surprise to most. The Command and Conquer series has been a darling for RTS afficianados and modders alike since it launched in 1995. "So, what does it mean for Mod Support within the Remastered Collection? Along with the inclusion of a new Map Editor, these open-source DLLs should assist users to design maps, create custom units, replace art, alter gameplay logic, and edit data." Command and Conquer is a nostalgic throwback from a time when 32-bit graphics were cutting edge and full motion video was a must-have for serious strategy games. EA‘s already let some modders run wild with code to answer the age old question:  “What would the Brotherhood of Nod do if they captured the Mammoth Tank?” The answer is make it shoot nukes, of course.

My Thoughts:
Hype. I remember being a young kid a playing Tiberian Sun for days on end. While I could never get far, I loved the actual live action video and actual story line it provided and really was a league of it's own. I'm ready for this remaster and I'm glad they've opened it up as much as they have.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

32 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

enable mod support.

So we can replace the people with my little ponies and the other side as furrys? 

I'm okay with this. 🤪

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

is there a fanculture war i'm not aware of o_o

Apparently 👀

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

That reddit statement is just like a slot machine that always hands out jackpots. 

It's like EA listened to peoples' complaints and went "okay, let's give them what they want". 

I am pretty sure that some C&C games have issues on newer computers, so getting a compatible version is great! They are some of my favorite games of all time. 

They want mods? Let's just open source a bunch of stuff and give them something even better than limited mod support!

People have been complaining about games becoming unplayable once servers shut down? Let's add LAN support! Sadly it doesn't seem like it'll come at launch because of covid, but hopefully it will come later. 

People dislike Origin? Let's release it on Steam too! 

People dislike paid dlc? Let's make it possible for people to upload free stuff for others to download on the steam workshop! 

I hope the stuff they open source are large parts of the games. The more stuff that's open source the better. 

Wow, this is a blast from the past, haven't played C&C since about 1994-1998 IIRC, used to play in a weekly LAN party, that and Doom were the goto games most weeks.

Ah those were the days, playing on our £1000+ PCs that we had to pay extra for a CD-ROM and sound card... and had like 4MB RAM to go with our Pentium 90 - Cyrix 166 CPUs 🤣

I will say that I used to enjoy games a lot more those days though.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

17 hours ago, LAwLz said:

That reddit statement is just like a slot machine that always hands out jackpots. 

It's like EA listened to peoples' complaints and went "okay, let's give them what they want". 

I am pretty sure that some C&C games have issues on newer computers, so getting a compatible version is great! They are some of my favorite games of all time. 

They want mods? Let's just open source a bunch of stuff and give them something even better than limited mod support!

People have been complaining about games becoming unplayable once servers shut down? Let's add LAN support! Sadly it doesn't seem like it'll come at launch because of covid, but hopefully it will come later. 

People dislike Origin? Let's release it on Steam too! 

People dislike paid dlc? Let's make it possible for people to upload free stuff for others to download on the steam workshop! 

I hope the stuff they open source are large parts of the games. The more stuff that's open source the better. 

Modding support does seem to go hand in hand with longevity for games. I've put more time into Stardew Valley than any other game in my steam library. Not to mention Fallout 4, Skyrim, etc.

Nice to see EA do something "not completely-dickish" for a change?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

*childhood intensifies*

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Don't pre-order, don't pre-order, don't pre-order, don't pre-order, don't pre-order, don't pre-order, don't pre-order, don't pre-order, don't pre-order.... Pre-ordered 🎉

Same. xD

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |