LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

~5.4 million points and ~200 work units since March 21st-ish. Not bad. If I could keep the machines fed steadily I'd be doing well.

What's a good $/Watt/PPD GPU to pair with my Xeon X3470? The GTX 650 in there is a wee bit slow. Something around the $100-150 USD price point, used is fine. In the future I'll probably toss it in a box with a Haswell Celeron (20W) and park it in the corner of the basement running Linux on a very small SSD to just fold all the time so being power efficient is good if it's running 24/7.

This is the main reason I don't leave my gaming PC folding all the time and mostly leave it up to my old server and just let it do CPU folding on the Phenom; the FX 8370 in the living room gaming rig is not power efficient.  When it's running full bore across all 8 cores the fan basically runs at 100% constantly just to keep it under 70C.

1 minute ago, Gerowen said:

This is the main reason I don't leave my gaming PC folding all the time and mostly leave it up to my old server and just let it do CPU folding on the Phenom; the FX 8370 in the living room gaming rig is not power efficient.  When it's running full bore across all 8 cores the fan basically runs at 100% constantly just to keep it under 70C.

Turn the number of cores down then, run 4 or 6 in the config by editing the CPU slot. That'll reduce the CPU load a lot but still do work, or just run GPU only on that PC?

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Turn the number of cores down then, run 4 or 6 in the config by editing the CPU slot. That'll reduce the CPU load a lot but still do work, or just run GPU only on that PC?

Right now with F@H going, the UPS is reporting about 500 watts power draw, counting the 55 inch television.  I'll let it run a day or two and see what kind of power consumption it averages, temps, and whether it affects my ability to play some CoD or something.  I don't actually do much PC gaming any more; mostly Nintendo Switch or games that run just fine on my laptop, so other than knocking out a few matches of Modern Warfare every now and then, this PC is mostly idle.  At Medium priority it "should" take a back seat to any games I want to play without me having to kill the process altogether, and then ramp the CPU/GPU utilization back up when I'm not using it.

1 hour ago, Pasi123 said:

Currently I'm folding with a GTX 760, GTX 660, GTX 470, GT 640, GT 430, i5-3450 3.7GHz 4c/8t, Xeon X5677 3.6GHz 4c/8t, i3-4150 3.5GHz 2c/4t and i5-3210M 2.9GHz 2c/4t. For a while I was folding with my main PC (X5670 4.4GHz 6c/12t and GTX 960) too

Screw the electricity bill this month, I'm going all out. I've also got some old hardware folding, including a gtx 480, gtx 470, hd6870, hd 6970 and an hd 6790.

I can't go on like this unfortunately, but I do not intend to quit folding once the competition is over, I will have to come up with a long term plan. I have a gaming server which didn't have any need for a power gpu, but I might stick one in there to fold long term, maybe the 5700xt as the drivers are doing my head in anyway.

Going to have to say goodbye to my first VMs on google cloud tonight. I am almost out of credit. The 3rd and fourth will die in the morning.

However, hope is not lost, for in their place have risen 4 new VMs, better, faster, more stable, all with P100s. 

I am coming for the top 25!!!!

Edit:

giphy.gif

F@H    EOC

2 minutes ago, justpoet said:

Holy crap!  I *****FINALLY***** got work units running on most systems at once! :) 

Probably still far too late for me to make the points cutoff. :(

Do you have a passkey? 5 days should be plenty of time to make the cutoff. 

You could also try this:

F@H    EOC

Just now, jctappel67 said:

You could also try this:

Yes passkey.  I've been at this quite a long time.  But, I'm a spare CPU core only folder on many older servers (mostly Xeons).  No GPUs new enough to compete with except the one in my MacBook Pro, and they don't support GPU folding on Mac.

7 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

You could also try this:

I was trying it last week but until now I'm stuck at verification process, i sent them a photo of my master card with a finger cover and only show last 4 numbers, just like the one in their instruction but they keep asking to verify again so i gave up.

19 minutes ago, Gerowen said:

Right now with F@H going, the UPS is reporting about 500 watts power draw, counting the 55 inch television.  I'll let it run a day or two and see what kind of power consumption it averages, temps, and whether it affects my ability to play some CoD or something.  I don't actually do much PC gaming any more; mostly Nintendo Switch or games that run just fine on my laptop, so other than knocking out a few matches of Modern Warfare every now and then, this PC is mostly idle.  At Medium priority it "should" take a back seat to any games I want to play without me having to kill the process altogether, and then ramp the CPU/GPU utilization back up when I'm not using it.

Disregarding power supply efficiency (I'll have to figure that out later as a blanket number for all systems) I'm around 700W for all machines, the Xeon+GTX 650 I'm just guessing at around 150W CPU and 80W GPU but I think the GPU is probably less while folding. One PSU is 90 gold bordering on the next one up, one is 80, and one is unrated.

Just now, Bitter said:

Can mining cards be used for folding?

could be wrong but isnt that what the Curecoin team is made up of mostly. Im sure it does since its still a Graphics Processing Unit GPU. just without display outputs

5 minutes ago, snorlaxgangs said:

I was trying it last week but until now I'm stuck at verification process, i sent them a photo of my master card with a finger cover and only show last 4 numbers, just like the one in their instruction but they keep asking to verify again so i gave up.

Why not just type it in?

F@H    EOC

2 minutes ago, KendallR said:

could be wrong but isnt that what the Curecoin team is made up of mostly. Im sure it does since its still a Graphics Processing Unit GPU. just without display outputs

I have no idea, figured I'd ask.

Just now, Bitter said:

I have no idea, figured I'd ask.

if you already have one or more Mining cards, Give it a try. Im pretty sure CureCoin is re-purposed Bitcoin mining systems

2 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

Why not just type it in?

i dont think they want that

googlecloudverification.jpg.068c00b28dcbb8ead8fea672dcb9a34a.jpg

2 minutes ago, snorlaxgangs said:

i dont think they want that

Weird. I started all of my accounts from my desktop, and they never asked me to do that.

F@H    EOC

9 minutes ago, KendallR said:

if you already have one or more Mining cards, Give it a try. Im pretty sure CureCoin is re-purposed Bitcoin mining systems

I was considering buying a couple 3GB P106-90's because they're super cheap.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/zotac-p106-090.b4832

That card exactly, was going to buy 2 of them and run them both in one box. At 75W they're pretty power efficient but the flops look a little low. I know mining cards are usually crippled with a slower PCIe version, does that hamper folding?

14 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

Weird. I started all of my accounts from my desktop, and they never asked me to do that.

When i signed up they immediately suspend my account and ask for verification even tho i never purchased anything from google, there's also no issue with my bank account after recheck w the bank manager. Well it's weird when they send email saying that the verification images i sent are approval ( i sent the same thing they show people how to do it in the instruction), i could have sent bank statement instead but don't wanna go to the bank to take it. Anyway, i just fold with what i have. 

Just now, snorlaxgangs said:

When i signed up they immediately suspend my account and ask for verification even tho i never purchased anything from google, there's also no issue with my bank account after recheck w the bank manager. Well it's weird when they send email saying that the verification images i sent are approval ( i sent the same thing they show people how to do it in the instruction), i could have sent bank statement instead but don't wanna go to the bank to take it. Anyway, i just fold with what i have. 

That blows...

F@H    EOC

20 minutes ago, snorlaxgangs said:

Are you using a vpn?

20 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

That blows...

I tried one more time with scan document instead. I hope they make it fast this time. 

2 minutes ago, ConceptOW said:

Are you using a vpn?

No not at all, google chrome and normal connection, using my isp's dns, didn't change anything.

2 minutes ago, snorlaxgangs said:

No not at all, google chrome and normal connection, using my isp's dns, didn't change anything.

Damn then... I have no idea why. If you really want to do folding on cloud servers. Try AWS. Although, they don't give you any free credit unlike Google. I just pay for it and choose the cheapest one with gpu and no problems. I got denied by Google Cloud when I tried to make new account and get a gpu quota increase.

Well, still no dice on the AMD APU's GPU under linux.  But at least the linux client has finally gotten its first WUs and is properly being controlled by my Mac FAHControl. :)