Anybody here have a tablet mounted in a car??

big_lilo

Hey guys,

Bought a Nissan 2005 X-Trail and it came with a cassette and CD deck... It looked soo dated haha I'm used to having a navi in my other car.... So I decided instead of spending $800+ on a GPS Double din.... why not put in a tablet instead! I've seen it done before and LOVED the idea.... So here is my install :) Very pleased with it

Bone Stock....BORING!!!

20140210_135207_zpsaf887221.jpg

Finished Product!
20140211_162119_zps0f1c2e8b.jpg

Looks killer! 

20140211_162130_zps89f1f572.jpg

I have the charged hooked up to the ACC and TASKER installed on the tablet..so when it gets power, the tablet turns on and screen stays on, also have a task to turn on BT, GPS, launch GPS / Music player etc and once the power is cut TASKER puts the tablet in airplane mode and turns off the screen and kills all the apps :)

I installed a JVC deck in there as well to make life a bit easier... Didn't want rewire everything and amp everything... they way I have phone bluetooth, IPOD, CD and the tablet thru AUX or even BT aswell

Soo... anyone else use a tablet in their vehicles??

Check out my Rigs: Obi-Wan Shinobi & HTPC: The Dark Prodigy

I have a Civic so if I wanted to do something like that I would have to rip out my dash hahaha. That looks great though. What tablet did you use for that?

i like this but the only thing i dont like compared to a normal nav headunit is that u have to pay for 3g on your tablet to use nav which sucks.

i like this but the only thing i dont like compared to a normal nav headunit is that u have to pay for 3g on your tablet to use nav which sucks.

no you can download a full GPS app like IGO with maps and use it offline! only thing you need is GPS to be turned on which is free :)

I pay an extra $5 bucks for the sim a month to share my 6GB data plan :) 

That actually looks a lot better than I figured it was going to look, well done!
I agree with @JAKEBAB though. I'd rather have the free NAV. I also find car based systems are a little faster navigation wise but that will entirely depend on location.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

That awesome... I wonder if I could put one in my 2002 Chevrolet Suburban. :)

How the hell did you got the tablet fitted so perfectly in this, this is insane, great work man!

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

no you can download a full GPS app like IGO with maps and use it offline! only thing you need is GPS to be turned on which is free :)

I pay an extra $5 bucks for the sim a month to share my 6GB data plan :)

oh i didnt know that ill definitely have to check that out. 

How the hell did you got the tablet fitted so perfectly in this, this is insane, great work man!

Hahaha it was actually a direct fit man... All I needed to do was get 90 degree angle cables and done! Put some 2-way tape all around it and some "L" brackets in the back for support

Done! 

I'm probably going to hot glue it in place soon.. It was just a test fit at first.. but i'm loving it!

Cool!  I like it.

But if you ever need to enter the Android Recovery/Restart menu, how would you do it? Like if it becomes unresponsive and can't do regular soft restart.

I've only had to do that once on my Nexus 7 when it became unresponsive.  I couldn't do a normal power off.  So I press Power button and both volume keys at same time.  Then I can select PowerDown; RestartBootload; or FactoryReset

Cool!  I like it.

But if you ever need to enter the Android Recovery/Restart menu, how would you do it? Like if it becomes unresponsive and can't do regular soft restart.

I've only had to do that once on my Nexus 7 when it became unresponsive.  I couldn't do a normal power off.  So I press Power button and both volume keys at same time.  Then I can select PowerDown; RestartBootload; or FactoryReset

I actually drilled a Tiny tiny hole right above the PWR button... I use a paper clip to get at it so I can reboot or turn off / on if I absolutely have to :)  

I also didn't stach the USB/Power cable behind the tablet... I have them in my glove box.. So I could use things like Nexus Toolkit and factory wipe it etc etc without having to remove it

I'd love to mount it on a bike though xD would be awesome with the gps and stuff.

Live your life like a dream.

I actually drilled a Tiny tiny hole right above the PWR button... I use a paper clip to get at it so I can reboot or turn off / on if I absolutely have to :)

I also didn't stach the USB/Power cable behind the tablet... I have them in my glove box.. So I could use things like Nexus Toolkit and factory wipe it etc etc without having to remove it

How did you set up the interface with your current audio setup?

My rig: Case: Cooler master storm scout

CPU: I5 3570k - Ram:  8Gb Kingston HyperX Blu

GPU: GTX 660 - Sorage: 2-1TB WD black;  120 GB samsung 840

I'm actually going to make a little video and put in on YouTube of everything i've done so far

I'm using cyanogenmod 10.1 with the USB-ROM kernal on top of it (which will host OTG USB hub with charge) haven't gotten my cable yet some i'm still waiting on that... once I get it, I can hook up an external HDD and a reverse camrea if I want :) A lot of guys use a USB DAC but i'm currently using it over BLUETOOTH Audio and it's great! sounds good and when I'm in Navigation lets say, I dont have to minimize and open the audio app to be able to switch tracks.. I can use the Next button on the JVC deck to change tracks :) 

It's pretty sweet!

I'm actually mapping out a summer project to put in a tablet in my Bimmer e46 next :)

I'm actually going to make a little video and put in on YouTube of everything i've done so far

I'm using cyanogenmod 10.1 with the USB-ROM kernal on top of it (which will host OTG USB hub with charge) haven't gotten my cable yet some i'm still waiting on that... once I get it, I can hook up an external HDD and a reverse camrea if I want :) A lot of guys use a USB DAC but i'm currently using it over BLUETOOTH Audio and it's great! sounds good and when I'm in Navigation lets say, I dont have to minimize and open the audio app to be able to switch tracks.. I can use the Next button on the JVC deck to change tracks :)

It's pretty sweet!

I'm actually mapping out a summer project to put in a tablet in my Bimmer e46 next :)

That's amazing man! Can't wait for the video.

My rig: Case: Cooler master storm scout

CPU: I5 3570k - Ram:  8Gb Kingston HyperX Blu

GPU: GTX 660 - Sorage: 2-1TB WD black;  120 GB samsung 840

Automatic transmission?!  :o

CPU Intel Core i7-3537U @ 3.1GHz  GPU NVIDIA GEFORCE 740M  RAM 4GB DDR3  Storage 500GB 5400 RPM  DISPLAY 1366 x 768 Laptop Display MOBO Laptop MOBO  CASE Laptop Case  PSU Laptop PSU  OS Windows 8.1 x64

• 1 year later...

Now all you need is an elm327 Bluetooth obd2 adapter, and torque. Full fledged onboard digonostics and live view of system functions. Not to me to n the built in engine diagnostics scanner.

6a00d83451c9ec69e20147e0db9dac970b-800wi

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit