Getting DDOSed. How to protect yourself?

Hello, my friend's kid is an amature hacker & game cheater. He's only 13 so doesn't know much better.

He managed to tick off the wrong person & now his home network is getting DDOSed. Every computer on the home network has slow internet.

I recommended that they call Verizon to have their IP address changed, & get a VPN service.

What else can they do to protect themselves? They've already had their IP address changed & they got DDOSed again.
I heard some companies get software that checks to see if a connection is sending too many pings and if so, it blocks the connection. I'm going to presume this script kiddy isn't using a network of computers to bring the network down. If they are getting DDOSed by a network of computers, is it settled that they're screwed no matter what? What else could they do if that's the case?

The kid believes he knows who the DDOSer is. I doubt there's any thing the government can/would do so it's kinda in our own hands.

Let me know if there's anything else they can do to protect themselves! I feel like this thread could be a great resource for targets of malicious intent.

I'm taking some classes in computer security but they were mostly presented for large companies & identification of what a DDOS is. No real solutions were proposed. After some small research, I'm seeing most suggestions as things I've mentioned. I'm guessing I'll need a network monitoring program like wireshark to view what connections are attempting to flood the network & block them manually.

Some other resource I'm looking at:

https://www.esecurityplanet.com/network-security/5-tips-for-fighting-ddos-attacks.html

Spoiler
Spoiler
  • rate limit your router to prevent your Web server from being overwhelmed
  • add filters to tell your router to drop packets from obvious sources of attack
  • timeout half-open connections more aggressively
  • drop spoofed or malformed packages
  • set lower SYN, ICMP, and UDP flood drop thresholds

Bullet point 2 seems to say that some Routers can be configured to block obvious attacks.

Bullet point 5 says that UDP can be blocked in some way. This kid also plays online video games that likely use UDP for its networking protocols. (Minecraft, fortnite, so forth.)

He got what he deserved for cheating. Usually if you want an anti DDOS protection you need a business grade firewall. 

Running the games though a Proxy (a VPN) would probably be his best option. Increased ping but any DDoS attacks on him would be thwarted. After changing the homes Public IP the only way for the attacks to start again is he connected to a game and the attacker got the new IP address.

Wireshark wouldn't do anything for you here as it's a LAN based network management tool. You need something to reroute the traffic from the WAN. You won't be able to read or see DDoS attacks on the WAN interface from WireShark. That's how DDoS works. It doesn't infiltrate your LAN.

Most of the DDoS mitigation tools built unto consumer routers won't do a whole lot. Even if the router drops packets from a attack the CPU still has to react to the requests and that uses CPU cycles. If the attack is big enough it'll still overwhelm the router.

There's nothing you can really do in a home environment. If his public IP address has changed and he is still being DDoS'd he is obviously leaking the new IP somehow. That could be via IRC if he uses that, he could be clicking on links that they send him, or it could be scraped from a forum/website he uses.

I think the best thing they can do to protect themselves is pull apart his PC and put all the pieces in the dishwasher, just to scrub any excess hacks off the components.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

First of all - how do you know it is a DDOS at all and not connection being slow for some other reason?

The thing about DDoS attack is that there are so many variants of them. ICMP pings is just one of many. It is not that easy to block away and even if you do, your home router will still be overloaded depending on the kind of the attack. If they are malformed packets that just target router, the router already drops them by default (unless there are some weird devices/configurations, that the router forwards the packets to). Adding another firewall rule is not going to help.

Depending on the volume, going for a business-grade firewall might not help. If the attacker has a 1Gbps line and you have 100 Mbps, he can send saturate your line so full, that even if the firewall can handle it, the line will still be saturated.

Your best bet is to contact the ISP for assistance, see what they say first. It is generally against ISP policy's to have their lines completely saturated using such attacks (causes loss of services). DoS attacks (so the ones that come from few IPs max) can be located and their ISPs can be notified - they are likely against their ISP's terms of service and might get their connection terminated.

Also - if it is not from a network of devices (it is not distributed), it is just a DOS attack - Denial of Service. DDOS is Distributed Denial of Service, where a large number of devices/computers are involved.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Your friend should change their IP again and ban their kid from the Internet.

Seriously, he needs to learn there are consequences to his actions before he pisses off the wrong person and your friend ends up in court.  Him being 13 doesn't alter the fact that what he is doing is illegal and the bill payer will be held responsible.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

16 hours ago, fpo said:

my friend's kid is an amature hacker & game cheater retard and needs to learn a lesson

FTFY.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

• 1 month later...

Make the kid pay for his own business connection?  Once on a separate connection, the kid should learn a lesson swiftly, all while freeing up the house connection.

*is a floof*
*looks for other floofs*