Is human evolution over?

Otto_iii
1 minute ago, Scatology said:

The evolution is not over but the race will be over soon. ? 

I worry about this one too.  My big question is will I die soon enough to not have to go through the impending horror.  Actuarial you’re I’m supposed to live another 30 years.  I’m not sure I want to.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

kinda slower, cause there is no natural selection everybody has babies with who what where when, there is no survival of the fittest human, it's all just a soup of people now. it evloves but going to be more like a buffet of everything

39 minutes ago, redbread123 said:

kinda slower, cause there is no natural selection everybody has babies with who what where when, there is no survival of the fittest human, it's all just a soup of people now. it evloves but going to be more like a buffet of everything

There is still natural selection just the selective pressures are different then the past. Mate selection is also determined by selection pressures of today. However we still have a lot of our ancestral ways of thinking. Look up some evolutionary psych stuff it’s pretty interesting. There’s also a part about female dual mating strategy where when they are fertile prefer mating with people who have better genetics then when they aren’t prefer males with better parental investment. We see this in modern day as well. Remember always get paternal tests kids.

If I have the time I’ll dig up some academic articles about it if I have time.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

2 hours ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Mate selection is also determined by selection pressures of today. 

For women maybe. For men, you just need to be filthy rich. No other attributes neccessary.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, tech.guru said:

I personally think you can argue  we are devolving.

We are getting dumber, and lazy as a society.

There is also is some evidence of this,

https://www.ancient-origins.net/news-evolution-human-origins/our-brains-are-growing-alarmingly-smaller-showing-evidence-devolution

True, Homo sapien neanderthalensis actually have larger brain and stronger body(as in stronger bone and bulkier muscle) than homo sapien sapien. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

55 minutes ago, wasab said:

For women maybe. For men, you just need to be filthy rich. No other attributes neccessary.

Yes and no. If this were the cause dual mating strategies wouldnt exist. Its a bit more complicated then just resources. I recommend reading more evolutionary psych studies; I assume your mgtow go look up some reading on mgtow and evolutionary psych if you want a more detailed answer. Mate selection is far more complicated then just resources. 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

On 12/31/2019 at 10:53 PM, RetroGeneral said:

And we are in the middle of the technological revolution! how can people state we are at a evolutionary death point is beyond understandin

We are?  What's getting revolutionaried exactly?  I think technical advances are extremely stagnant since 50 years or so and most "new inventions"  are gimmicks at best. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

We are?  What's getting revolutionaried exactly?  I think technical advances are extremely stagnant since 50 years or so and most "new inventions"  are gimmicks at best. 

You uh... you realize that your smartphone has more computing power than a supercomputer from 50 years ago, right?

The Guidance Computer on the Apollo missions literally had a 2000 word RAM limit (it had deeper storage for 36,000 words too).

So yeah... if you were to say the last 20 years, that might have been reasonable, but 50 years? Yeah no.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

40 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You uh... you realize that your smartphone has more computing power than a supercomputer from 50 years ago, right?

The Guidance Computer on the Apollo missions literally had a 2000 word RAM limit (it had deeper storage for 36,000 words too).

So yeah... if you were to say the last 20 years, that might have been reasonable, but 50 years? Yeah no.

That is however not a revolution, it's just tech evolving,  the people back then achieved more with less advanced tech,  nowadays tech is just not very exciting to me,  4k,  3d helmets...  Even smartphones have long plateaued. 

Edit: Actually,  if we look at computer tech,  I'd agree, between 1970 and 2000 huge advancements have been made,  but overall I think I was pretty spot on with "50 years"  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

That is however not a revolution, it's just tech evolving,  the people back then achieved more with less advanced tech,  nowadays tech is just not very exciting to me,  4k,  3rd helmets...  Even smartphones have long plateaued. 

There have been plenty of "revolutions" in the tech world in the last 50 years. Examples include stuff like 64 bit computing, AI (actual neural net AI), quantum computing, self-driving technology, etc.

Additionally, there have been massive revolutions in space technology in particular in the last decade, with self-landing reusable rockets, among other things.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You know that back in 2010 the United States Air Force did this to make a super computer - https://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-playstation-3s-supercomputer.html

That's 1,760 Sony Playstation 3's

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

There have been plenty of "revolutions" in the tech world in the last 50 years. Examples include stuff like 64 bit computing, AI (actual neural net AI), quantum computing, self-driving technology, etc.

Additionally, there have been massive revolutions in space technology in particular in the last decade, with self-landing reusable rockets, among other things.

Ah I think revolution just doesn't mean the same thing to us.  

Those are particularly slight evolutionary advances to me.  Also I thought space exploration has slowed down dramatically - I'd say the current space station is exactly what I'd call a gimmick. 

"self driving technology"  also not revolutionary at all,  and even more a gimmick currently 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, CalintzJerevinan said:

You know that back in 2010 the United States Air Force did this to make a super computer - https://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-playstation-3s-supercomputer.html

That's 1,760 Sony Playstation 3's

Yep - it was a cheap way for them to build a supercomputer, and the early versions could run Linux. It was cheaper than building a traditional super computer, since at the time, multi-core processors were incredibly expensive, and the Cell processor was fairly advanced for the time - and it was based on PowerPC tech from IBM, so the software wouldn't require too much modification.

On 12/22/2019 at 11:48 AM, Otto_iii said:

Simple question, just asking 

its based of millions of years not thousands.

Lol we all go boom soon and it starts from scratch. Sad part is red shift will be so large we wont detect most things in about 10 million years and even before that our universe goes boom so yk keep living dont spend 10 years to make 5.

but dont live in no superficial lie we aint here for no reason but no discussion on that.

Ah I think revolution just doesn't mean the same thing to us.  

Those are particularly slight evolutionary advances to me.

A bout the only thing on my list you could conceivably call "evolutionary" is 64-bit computing (especially since we've already gone through several similar iterations, including 8-bit and 16-bit computing).

But AI and Quantum Computers are revolutionary, period. They aren't slight evolutionary advances in any sense of the word.

Also I thought space exploration has slowed down dramatically - I'd say the current space station is exactly what I'd call a gimmick. 

The Space Station is also mostly pretty old tech now - from the 90's and early 2000's. Though it does advance a lot of our scientific understanding, since they perform all kinds of experiments there every day.

"self driving technology"  also not revolutionary at all,  and even more a gimmick currently 

How so? You can call it a gimmick if you want, but it is most certainly revolutionary technology.

4 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

its based of millions of years not thousands.

Lol we all go boom soon and it starts from scratch. Sad part is red shift will be so large we wont detect most things in about 10 million years and even before that our universe goes boom so yk keep living dont spend 10 years to make 5.

but dont live in no superficial lie we aint here for no reason but no discussion on that.

Uhm... our universe (even locally, our galaxy) is going to last a lot longer than 10 million years.

Hell, our local sun should last another 5 billion years before starting to die out, and the "dying" process will take millions of years.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Uhm... our universe (even locally, our galaxy) is going to last a lot longer than 10 million years.

Hell, our local sun should last another 5 billion years before starting to die out, and the "dying" process will take millions of years.

https://taskandpurpose.com/the-space-forces-newest-hub-will-live-long-and-prosper-as-spoc

U.S. Space Force's newest Space Hub "SPOC" 

Just now, CalintzJerevinan said:

I feel like you're quoting the wrong person here...

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

A bout the only thing on my list you could conceivably call "evolutionary" is 64-bit computing (especially since we've already gone through several similar iterations, including 8-bit and 16-bit computing).

But AI and Quantum Computers are revolutionary, period. They aren't slight evolutionary advances in any sense of the word.

The Space Station is also mostly pretty old tech now - from the 90's and early 2000's. Though it does advance a lot of our scientific understanding, since they perform all kinds of experiments there every day.

How so? You can call it a gimmick if you want, but it is most certainly revolutionary technology.

You kinda seem to mistake evolution and revolution...

A self driving car is the logical continuation of our current tech,  people were thinking and trying this since a long time,  it's the opposite of a revolution how I see it.  A revolution has to be kinda unforeseen to be that. 

Something you didn't think was possible... 

We know self driving cars are possible (and existed)  for a very long time. 

Also it's not exciting or anything it's just cringe - and dangerous as heck on top of it  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I feel like you're quoting the wrong person here...

No we're becoming more and more advanced in the space technology in the near future.  Soon we will be setting up bases in space to prevent future missile attacks from Russia/China or North Korea.  Back in the Cold War we were not able to do this.  So the human race is getting more and more advanced.

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

in only 4 million years we gonna crash into andromeda.

That's our entire galaxy - g o n e . No coming back from that.

But you know what they say. In i cant say what number years when everything is gone and its all explosive dark energy, we have 0.00000000000016 or some silly number percent of a reaction happening like big bang again.

But its infinite energy - its per hundred doesn't count if there's unlimited hundreds. All this will happen again, and again and again. And each time it will be exactly the same as exactly the same reaction and process of events so we will do all this again and again and these aren't even my beliefs and im gonna sign off now...

4 minutes ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

No we're becoming more and more advanced in the space technology in the near future.  Soon we will be setting up bases in space to prevent future missile attacks from Russia/China or North Korea.  Back in the Cold War we were not able to do this.  So the human race is getting more and more advanced.

the top 0.0000000.1% is becoming more advanced.

When elongated muskrat becomes a computer, he aint gonna invite us. He wants the oc'd cores to himself.

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

You kinda seem to mistake evolution and revolution...

A self driving car is the logical continuation of our current tech,  people were thinking and trying this since a long time,  it's the opposite of a revolution how I see it.  A revolution has to be kinda unforeseen to be that. 

Something you didn't think was possible... 

We know self driving cars are possible (and existed)  for a very long time. 

Also it's not exciting or anything it's just cringe - and dangerous as heck on top of it  

A self driving car is the logical continuation of our current tech precisely because of revolutionary changes in concept, design, and available technology that can allow a car to make decisions, see the road, identify objects, etc.

We're not talking about a computer that will maintain a set speed, we're talking about a computer that will look through a camera (or other sensors) and make a decision on how the vehicle will react. It won't be long now before level 5 autonomy is established - and once that happens, it'll be only a matter of time before self driving becomes the default.

If you asked someone 50 years ago if they thought it was possible to create a car that can drive itself for real, they'd tell you it was science fiction (ala Knight Rider)

2 minutes ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

Kay - just that what you posted had literally nothing to do with my quote, so I was confused as to why you quoted me specifically rather than just replying to the thread.

Also, I never stated anything to the contrary. So again, why did you quote me?

Just now, The Torrent said:

in only 4 million years we gonna crash into andromeda.

That's quite simply not true. While we are scheduled for a collision, you've got an order of magnitude wrong in your dates. Estimates are 4.5 billion years from now:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda–Milky_Way_collision

That's our entire galaxy - g o n e . No coming back from that.

That's... not true. While there will be major disruptions, and some stars will likely be tossed into intergalactic space, most will stay within one galaxy or the other. Galaxies collide all the time. It's disruptive and certainly some parts of the galaxies will experience catastrophic destruction, but most likely the two galaxies will just merge, or just pass through.

Keep in mind that despite the number of stars in each galaxy, the odds of even a single star colliding with another are essentially negligible - most of space is empty. This is true on a solar scale as well as on a galactic scale.

It would be like hitting a bullet with another bullet, blindfolded, while pulling the trigger with your toe.

But you know what they say. In i cant say what number years when everything is gone and its all explosive dark energy, we have 0.00000000000016 or some silly number percent of a reaction happening like big bang again.

But its infinite energy - its per hundred doesn't count if there's unlimited hundreds. All this will happen again, and again and again. And each time it will be exactly the same as exactly the same reaction and process of events so we will do all this again and again and these aren't even my beliefs and im gonna sign off now...

I have no idea what you're saying here.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

A self driving car is the logical continuation of our current tech precisely because of revolutionary changes in concept, design, and available technology that can allow a car to make decisions, see the road, identify objects, etc.

We're not talking about a computer that will maintain a set speed, we're talking about a computer that will look through a camera (or other sensors) and make a decision on how the vehicle will react. It won't be long now before level 5 autonomy is established - and once that happens, it'll be only a matter of time before self driving becomes the default.

If you asked someone 50 years ago if they thought it was possible to create a car that can drive itself for real, they'd tell you it was science fiction (ala Knight Rider)

Kay - just that what you posted had literally nothing to do with my quote, so I was confused as to why you quoted me specifically rather than just replying to the thread.

Also, I never stated anything to the contrary. So again, why did you quote me?

That's quite simply not true. While we are scheduled for a collision, you've got an order of magnitude wrong in your dates. Estimates are 4.5 billion years from now:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda–Milky_Way_collision

That's... not true. While there will be major disruptions, and some stars will likely be tossed into intergalactic space, most will stay within one galaxy or the other. Galaxies collide all the time. It's disruptive and certainly some parts of the galaxies will experience catastrophic destruction, but most likely the two galaxies will just merge, or just pass through.

Keep in mind that despite the number of stars in each galaxy, the odds of even a single star colliding with another are essentially negligible - most of space is empty. This is true on a solar scale as well as on a galactic scale.

It would be like hitting a bullet with another bullet, blindfolded, while pulling the trigger with your toe.

I have no idea what you're saying here.

Forgive me I still got a hangover from New Years Eve/Day so I'm not thinking straight at the moment.