52,600$ fully loaded mac pro

37 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

It plays in with that the mac pro is meant for a "pro" environment where price isnt as big an issue as one would think. It depends on the use case and the budget for the company. For a single user at home for pc use its very overpriced but the computer is not meant for that person. Think of a Lamborghini the car is almost useless in most places as it has very little storage and only allows 2 people and is VERY expensive and the insurance and licensing costs are huge. But the car isnt meant for someone who works 9-5 for 50k a year. The car is meant for specific purpose. like many objects you can purchase they have a specific use. Is the Mac pro expensive... yes but the cost is put so Apple can make money and the engineering that went into it. 

Completely agree with you there. Not arguing XD. Everything is relative depending on the standpoint and needs. For a mac, it is a super powerful system. Those that need the horsepower will definitely be welcoming it. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

I think that this is def intended to big movie studios (warner bros, fox, etc) or other stuff with huge budgets. Plus, they probably won't get the highest speced model. There's a reason that they have other configs. They're not forced to buy the highest spec.

Also that its assembled in America. First, they have to ship the parts from China (which does cost money) then they have to pay American workers (who are paid a lot more than chinese ones) to assemble it. Also, employee benifits, etc.

2 hours ago, Twilight said:

what alternative for a system with 1.5TB of ram?

that has literally one 6th the amount of ram of the top spec Mac Pro. it's not comparable at all. 

Why does that actually matter? What individual workstation software can leverage 1.5TB of RAM?

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

1 minute ago, atxcyclist said:

Why does that actually matter? What individual workstation software can leverage 1.5TB of RAM?

pixar can probably manage it, and also there is a rackmount version so it doesn't need to be a workstation.

She/Her

7 minutes ago, Twilight said:

pixar can probably manage it, and also there is a rackmount version so it doesn't need to be a workstation.

It makes sense to have a rackmount version of server hardware though, which this is. It's already been established that not even PIXAR does their rendering on individual workstations. As I mentioned several pages back, Apple dancing around the 1.5TB RAM capacity for a desktop workstation is just a dong-measuring contest, no individual user will approach that.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

I feel like the use case for this machine is VERY limited. It really only serves as a solution for someone who is only willing to work within the apple structure.

There are much better options (that are more affordable and powerful). If you are in a situation to need this type of power then you are probably going to be offloading that work to a dedicated server or 50.

I also understand these are for big companies who can eat the initial cost and write it off at the end of the year, but even so unless you just need the Mac OS you could drop a similar amount of money on even more powerful offerings that aren't sitting in someones office for their sole use. You are much better off buying a few powerful servers and letting people access them as needed and share the resources. This gives you much better utilization and more bang for your buck.

I need to look around, but I doubt there are any performance comparisons out on these since they are even released yet. I would be curious to see how they stack up to other options. I have a feeling there will be similar priced setups that will murder this thing. Then again it won't have that nice fancy apple on it.

20 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

I think the argument that this isn't aimed at consumers is a little silly. They're absolutely aiming at "prosumers", at the very least.

There are very, very few professional situations that would utilize the top spec'd machines as workstations. Anything that you need 1.5TB of RAM for is getting offloaded to a server in 99% of professional scenarios. Pixar isn't rendering movies on some random dude's office desk, Exxon isn't modeling ocean floors in Bob's office, etc.

lOoK aT mE i mAKe mINeCraFT mONtAgE GivE mE thE ram

but in all seriousness, just ignore apple, they're greedy and no one cares. people who are like sheep will buy their 100$ magical cloth probably mIcrOFibEr cLoTH pRO mAx, and the wheels for 400, just forget about apple and let the sheep buy their products.

25 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

It makes sense to have a rackmount version of server hardware though, which this is. It's already been established that not even PIXAR does their rendering on individual workstations. As I mentioned several pages back, Apple dancing around the 1.5TB RAM capacity for a desktop workstation is just a dong-measuring contest, no individual user will approach that.

even if it is a dong measuring contest it is funny that you can get a workstation from apple with more ram than any pc you can buy. 

notice i said pc, i know rackmount servers ahve it but you cannot get that as a workstation. 

She/Her

5 minutes ago, Twilight said:

even if it is a dong measuring contest it is funny that you can get a workstation from apple with more ram than any pc you can buy. 

notice i said pc, i know rackmount servers ahve it but you cannot get that as a workstation. 

Well, you could if you built yourself but that's just ludicrous, haha.

https://www.newegg.com/asus-knpa-u16-amd-epyc-7000-series/p/N82E16813119178

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

12 minutes ago, redbread123 said:

but in all seriousness, just ignore apple, they're greedy and no one cares. people who are like sheep will buy their 100$ magical cloth probably mIcrOFibEr cLoTH pRO mAx, and the wheels for 400, just forget about apple and let the sheep buy their products.

I buy Apple stuff, am I a sheep? ?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

7 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

depends what you buy, the phones? not really. the computers and headphones? yes who the fuck pays 350$ for some random beats that A: don't sound good B: are over ear and made of plastic. when someone said the beats were for 30$ i thought that was an ok price but i read it wrong and for 300$? what the fuck. anyways the only decent things they have are the phones. maybeee the watch, and yeah

9 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

No, if that were the case,everyone would be a 'sheep'; If you buy a android phone, your an android sheep. If you buy any corsair stuff your a corsair sheep.

2 minutes ago, redbread123 said:

depends what you buy, the phones? not really. the computers and headphones? yes who the fuck pays 350$ for some random beats that A: don't sound good B: are over ear and made of plastic. when someone said the beats were for 30$ i thought that was an ok price but i read it wrong and for 300$? what the fuck. anyways the only decent things they have are the phones. maybeee the watch, and yeah

Apple devices are also a social status symbol of where you are at in life, like owning a Mercedes.  This is also a reason Apple is successful.  Separates the plebs from the non-plebs in the minds of people who that is important too.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just now, redbread123 said:

I run an iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3, and mid-2012 MacBook Pro for work (I do have the option to upgrade to a 2019 13" with the quad core, but imma wait for the 13" refresh with the new keeb, current one is shit). My dad also runs a mid-2012 MacBook Pro, another guy at the office has a 2013 13", my dad has a 2012 iMac at home, an ex-boss still uses his 2015 15" as a daily driver and editing machine. 

You'll find a lot of the people who actually use Macs for work tend to be quite reasonable lol. The PCs I have at home are where I get unreasonable ?

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

34 minutes ago, redbread123 said:

OSX and iPhones have their uses. I use an iPhone but aside from all the iTunes gift card purchased music I have, I could probably switch to an Android phone without issue. OSX does have some global color palette stuff that graphic designers need, and because of that the graphic design community uses them. I've owned a few OSX Macs at home and used one as my email/spreadsheet computer at my office for a time, but the professional building modelling software I use at work and the gaming I do at home are for a Windows machine.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

47 minutes ago, redbread123 said:

just forget about apple and let the sheep buy their products.

insluting people isn't an argument. 

She/Her

49 minutes ago, Twilight said:

You can buy desktop workstations with up to 2TB, read my earlier posts in the thread. Scalable Xeon sockets support up to 2TB.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

27 minutes ago, redbread123 said:

the computers and headphones? yes

headphones agreed. computers no. Apple has done a great job with support IMO, my Mid-2012 MacBook Pro is still fully supported and considering it's an almost 8 year old laptop that's happy editing 1080p video in iMovie and running a Windows 10 VM in Parallels quite happily i think the computers are good as well. not so much the recent one's, although the 16" MacBook Pro is getting better again. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Vitamanic said:

You can buy desktop workstations with up to 2TB, read my earlier posts in the thread. Scalable Xeon sockets support up to 2TB.

are those as polished and well supported as Apple's Mac Pro is? no. i'm pretty sure you need a special version of Windows to use all that memory and all the cores etc etc. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, Twilight said:

are those as polished and well supported as Apple's Mac Pro is? no. i'm pretty sure you need a special version of Windows to use all that memory and all the cores etc etc. 

Wrong again. Windows 10 Pro supports up to 2TB of RAM and 256 cores.

2 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Wrong again. Windows 10 Pro supports up to 2TB of RAM and 256 cores.

wRoNg AgAiN

listen, i've had a shitty week with an exam in the middle and a fight with my dad, and as a result i've barely slept this week. i'm allowed to make a mistake!

She/Her

5 minutes ago, Twilight said:

They have to be because that's professional-level equipment. Those are workstation/server boards and because of that have been tested rigorously and certified by whatever people need to do so (I don't work in that space so I don't know which ones specifically). Windows 10 Professional will support 2TBs of RAM and any single-socket x64/x86 processor available, $149 software license.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

2 hours ago, scuff gang said:

mmm yes lets put the $56000 cheese greater in bobs office 

Yes please!

Main PC 

Just now, atxcyclist said:

Windows 10 Professional will support 2TBs of RAM and any single-socket x64/x86 processor available, $149 software license.

i didn't know that, i thought you needed server for that. my bad. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Twilight said:

wRoNg AgAiN

listen, i've had a shitty week with an exam in the middle and a fight with my dad, and as a result i've barely slept this week. i'm allowed to make a mistake!

My original reply was as polite as possible.

Then you got snippy with the rhetorical "Are they as supported and polished? No." So I decided to reply in kind. If that bothers you, don't start it yourself. Treat others as you would like to be treated.