Double Check My Parts?

Haymayjay

Bit of a new pc builder, I’ve built one before in 2017 and it’s held pretty well. Things been overused to oblivion and probably wants an early retirement before it dies, so I’m upgrading. I’ve thrown a few pieces in the older one over time, and I’m salvaging:

GTX 1660 6Gb

EVGA 650 Black

If anyone could check other my stuff that I’m getting to make sure it’s all ready (I did myself, but would like someone with actual experience to do so.)

26 minutes ago, Haymayjay said:

Things been overused to oblivion and probably wants an early retirement before it dies

um what? what kind of excuse is this for buying something new

Edit: like, you can get something new if you find the current system lacking, but at least be honest about it without some excuse. 

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

FWP.jpg

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

Strictly on your configuration.

Drop the thermal paste, the stock cooler comes with thermal paste.

If you want x570, spend 30$ more on Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, excellent motherboard at $200.

GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE AMD Ryzen 3000 PCIe 4.0 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.2 AMD X570 ATX Motherboard - Newegg.com

GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI AM4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

Otherwise, lots of good MSI B450 chipset based motherboards that are just as good : B450-A Pro , B450 Gaming Plus, B450 Tomohawk ..

MSI B450-A PRO AM4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX AM4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

Don't waste your money on a 1TB hard drive. Instead of shitty SSD and shitty HDD, spend more and buy just a SSD, get a 512GB or a 960GB-1TB SSD for around 80-100$. At that price range you get higher quality, longer lasting, more reliable SSDs than that A400 ssd, and 1 TB is not enough for a mechanical drive in 2019.... I'd get mechanical drives only from 3 TB and up.

The case is fine, with decent air flow, you don't need to throw away 25$ on a fan ... you don't have high heat producing components in the case anyway.

Case also comes with 2 fans in the front, so if you really want to you could unscrew one from the front and move it to the back of your case to pull out the warm air from the cpu area - one fan in front is enough to push air towards the video card and one in the back is enough to pull out warm air that rises.

Use those 25$ and the 5$ from thermal paste to get the x570 Elite board, or use them on the SSD budget.

Also, you can always buy additional fans later.

10 hours ago, wt_dude said:

are you even going to use the dvd/cd player?

Have to burn a Windows 10 disc, besides that no lol.

11 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Edit: like, you can get something new if you find the current system lacking, but at least be honest about it without some excuse. 

its lacking in newer games or high cpu ones, but that sentence was a joke.

10 hours ago, mariushm said:

Strictly on your configuration.

Drop the thermal paste, the stock cooler comes with thermal paste.

If you want x570, spend 30$ more on Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, excellent motherboard at $200.

GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE AMD Ryzen 3000 PCIe 4.0 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.2 AMD X570 ATX Motherboard - Newegg.com

GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI AM4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

Otherwise, lots of good MSI B450 chipset based motherboards that are just as good : B450-A Pro , B450 Gaming Plus, B450 Tomohawk ..

MSI B450-A PRO AM4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX AM4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

Don't waste your money on a 1TB hard drive. Instead of shitty SSD and shitty HDD, spend more and buy just a SSD, get a 512GB or a 960GB-1TB SSD for around 80-100$. At that price range you get higher quality, longer lasting, more reliable SSDs than that A400 ssd, and 1 TB is not enough for a mechanical drive in 2019.... I'd get mechanical drives only from 3 TB and up.

The case is fine, with decent air flow, you don't need to throw away 25$ on a fan ... you don't have high heat producing components in the case anyway.

Case also comes with 2 fans in the front, so if you really want to you could unscrew one from the front and move it to the back of your case to pull out the warm air from the cpu area - one fan in front is enough to push air towards the video card and one in the back is enough to pull out warm air that rises.

Use those 25$ and the 5$ from thermal paste to get the x570 Elite board, or use them on the SSD budget.

Also, you can always buy additional fans later.

Definitely the most helpful! Thanks!

11 hours ago, Plouffe said:

Won’t I have to update the BIOS by opting to not buy a X570? My local shop probably does it, but I’m just wondering.

Thanks for all the responses!

3 minutes ago, Haymayjay said:

Won’t I have to update the BIOS? My local shop probably does it, but I’m just wondering.

no you dont have to, Max labeled boards have the correct Bios for third gen installed. 

4 minutes ago, Haymayjay said:

its lacking in newer games or high cpu ones, but that sentence was a joke

would honestly "/s" any joke on a forum, because you would be suprised the ammount of times some people are serious. 

The motherboards with MAX in name are made after Ryzen 3xxx were released so they all support Ryzen 3600 from the factory.

You should download the latest bios version from the website though. Updating is easy, just extract the zip file or whatever onto a USB stick, go in BIOS and select "Update bios"

You don't need a disc drive to install Windows, if you have a USB stick (I think 8 GB is enough, but 16 GB would be safer)

You can download the media creation tool from Microsoft and after they check the cd key,the tool downloads a disc image and prepares the usb stick for you.

Forgot to link to the page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

6 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

no you dont have to, Max labeled boards have the correct Bios for third gen installed. 

would honestly "/s" any joke on a forum, because you would be suprised the ammount of times some people are serious. 

Sweet! I’ve heard lots of positive things about Tomahawk boards but never got one.

6 hours ago, mariushm said:

The motherboards with MAX in name are made after Ryzen 3xxx were released so they all support Ryzen 3600 from the factory.

You should download the latest bios version from the website though. Updating is easy, just extract the zip file or whatever onto a USB stick, go in BIOS and select "Update bios"

You don't need a disc drive to install Windows, if you have a USB stick (I think 8 GB is enough, but 16 GB would be safer)

You can download the media creation tool from Microsoft and after they check the cd key,the tool downloads a disc image and prepares the usb stick for you.

Forgot to link to the page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

probably still going to get the drive, always nice to have Incase GPU needs a driver update from a disc or something.

4 hours ago, Haymayjay said:

Sweet! I’ve heard lots of positive things about Tomahawk boards but never got one.

probably still going to get the drive, always nice to have Incase GPU needs a driver update from a disc or something.

You can download the video card drivers from AMD or nVidia website.

Really, the only driver you could possibly need on a physical media is the network card driver, if the motherboard uses a fancy new network card chip that doesn't have drivers built into Windows. Once you get the network working, you have Internet and you can download the rest.

You can go on the website of the motherboard you chose (MSI for Tomohawk) in the downloads and download the network card driver to usb stick.

After you install the driver, you have Internet so you can download the other drivers on that computer.

You should definitely install the chipset drivers from AMD's website for example, as you don't know how often MSI checks to see if there's new driver updates and updates the pages for all AMD motherboards.

For B450 chipset you have latest chipset drivers here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

On 11/19/2019 at 5:45 AM, Haymayjay said:

No need to burn to a DVD.  Since at least Windows 7, Microsoft has perfected USB installations for it's O.S.  So download the ISO and create a bootable USB installer of Windows 10.

You can also just download the Windows 10 ISO and use the Windows USB/DVD Tool that was released in the Windows 7 era to create the same bootable USB installer for Windows 10. The tool still works with Windows 10 ISOs by the way. Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Also another thing you might want to know, the Windows 10 installer will activate with a Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 key.  SO might be able to save if you have those keys lying around.  I tried this in the 1709 build of Windows 10 myself.  Should have not changed that much since then.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

On 11/18/2019 at 1:45 PM, Haymayjay said:

I would download windows onto a usb and use that rather than spending the money on a cd/dvd player. On top of that, you don't have to buy windows, rather you can use it for free. If you really want the full version, you can buy an activation key online for a lot less than what you're about to pay