Gamefreak lies about not reusing models in pokemon sword and shield (spoilers)

spartaman64

Eeeehhh.

It sucks that Gamefreak obviously lied about not reusing the models, as an excuse to not put all of them in... 

But I'll still be buying it, because honestly I wasn't going to ever complete the "national dex"and would only play with the same handful of pokemon without giving a single fuck about IV anyway, while the rest of the pokemon gather dust in the PC.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

A: The "leak" started from someone posting comparison images of model wireframes from Sun and Moon and Sword and Shield... On 4chan. Yup, that's very trustworthy and legit source to go for some actual facts and not at all for troll posts and general fuckery /s

B: Someone streamed Sword and Shield on Twitch... Which was basicly a game that didn't have even animations turned on and god knows what else was fucked up in that version.

A+B and people go batshit crazy dramaqueens in less than a second and prepare to go full Spanish inquisition on GameFreak. [joke] And someone still questions why modern adult Pokemon fans are treated like mentally handicapped [/joke].

For a second let's forget that the leak was published on 4chan and imagine that there was some actually creditable and serious source for it. Still doesn't mean much when there's only wireframes posted with some polygonal numbers, they just tell from what the model is made from. We are missing smoothing group data, UV-maps, skeletal information, LOD data, textures and probably something else which I have no interest to remember now, but yeah, 3D-model is a lot more than just the polygons and usually the polygons are the easy part of the model, UV-map and skeletal can be real PIAs and take a lot more than what was used on making the visible model and quite usually when converting model from one fileformat to another, those are the data that gets fucked up and requires remaking. Hell even if you use the same OBJ-format in two different game engines you might get a lot of oddities and other "happy little accidents" because the game engines handle the model differently and want different kind of animation/skeletal format for their use. What I'm saying is that you go and just update your tools and change the game engine and SURPRISE! Your long lasting 3D-models that you thought you could use for the next decade require as much work per model as making completely new ones because everything is fucked up (thank you MODO, 3Ds Max, Blender and others who can't make one single fileformat that would be handled the same way everywhere and that would include the most needed elements and nothing more, especially looking at you Blender for being little shitbag who always, I mean ALWAYS, needs to be so fucking open and free that they cannot make a single thing as the others do, even if doing that thing would be completely open and free for them to do).

And after all it was really time to make some drastic cuts to the amount of Pokemons. Especially now with all of the mega-giga-tera-dark-ultimatum-evolution forms. GameFreak run out of ideas years ago and it's time to get back to the basics and making something actually meaningful and no more this:

spacer.png (Yes, that's a trashbag and a real Pokemon. They literally made a Pokemon out of a trashbag. And that was already years ago.)

2 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

For a second let's forget that the leak was published on 4chan and imagine that there was some actually creditable and serious source for it. Still doesn't mean much when there's only wireframes posted with some polygonal numbers, they just tell from what the model is made from. We are missing smoothing group data, UV-maps, skeletal information, LOD data, textures and probably something else which I have no interest to remember now, but yeah, 3D-model is a lot more than just the polygons and usually the polygons are the easy part of the model, UV-map and skeletal can be real PIAs and take a lot more than what was used on making the visible model and quite usually when converting model from one fileformat to another, those are the data that gets fucked up and requires remaking. Hell even if you use the same OBJ-format in two different game engines you might get a lot of oddities and other "happy little accidents" because the game engines handle the model differently and want different kind of animation/skeletal format for their use. What I'm saying is that you go and just update your tools and change the game engine and SURPRISE! Your long lasting 3D-models that you thought you could use for the next decade require as much work per model as making completely new ones because everything is fucked up (thank you MODO, 3Ds Max, Blender and others who can't make one single fileformat that would be handled the same way everywhere and that would include the most needed elements and nothing more, especially looking at you Blender for being little shitbag who always, I mean ALWAYS, needs to be so fucking open and free that they cannot make a single thing as the others do, even if doing that thing would be completely open and free for them to do).

It almost sounds like someone who knows what they're talking about on the subject at hand

(I say this endearingly, pls don't hurt me)

I don't want a national dex so this doesn't bother me. Isn't it better for competitive with no national dex? I also get confused by all the pokemon I don't know if they add them all in.

52 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

btw that trash bag is in sword and shield.

i noted in my op that the battle animations might be turned off but the still doesnt excuse the out of battle ones

this guy looks at more than just the wire frames 

the files are data mine from the game people are getting physical copies early either from mom and pop stores that dont understand release dates or some target somewhere putting them out early by accident. 

i never went spanish Inquisition on game freak i didnt call for employees to be burned at the stake or anything all i said is that they shouldnt have lied about the models.

i said before i agree that cuts need to happen eventually but i dont agree with cutting this many this quickly.  

also ive said before the game could still be a good game its just that things dont look good right now.

what happened? i remember a time when we demanded honesty and quality from game devs. i remember the old ubisoft keep digging memes and people asking why watch dog's graphics got downgraded from the demo. i remember people complaining about how poorly optimized arkhan knight is for the pc. but now we not only accept that games are going to be rushed and unfinished on release and game devs are going to lie to us we defend it. 

is it any surprise that we get stuff like anthem, fallout 76, mass effect andromeda and wwe 2020 now

56 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

what happened? i remember a time when we demanded honesty and quality from game devs

We still do.

But as a fan I will only backlash at the developer on something I or anyone else can definitively prove. Can you definitively prove that Game Freak (or rather Creatures, since they're the ones who do the actual modeling) directly copied assets? Because if you can, I'd really like to know how to do it so I can verify it myself.

@spartaman64 hold on a second, where's the source that GF even claimed that they would be "building from scratch"? I sure as hell can't find it - and it's not in any of your source links, as far as I can tell.

I did find his response to the "outrage", which is listed on the GF website (in both Japanese and translated into English):

https://www.pokemon.com/us/a-message-for-pokemon-video-game-fans/

But I can't find anything where he actually said they would rebuild from scratch.

Aside from that, until the game comes out, we simply can't be sure whether or not that's true (regardless of whether he said it).

Wait until it comes out, and then we can see if it's the same quality, or higher quality, than the 3DS game.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

@spartaman64 hold on a second, where's the source that GF even claimed that they would be "building from scratch"? I sure as hell can't find it - and it's not in any of your source links, as far as I can tell.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201906/13177936.html

I think that's the article in question. The answer to question 2 contains a line where if you pop it into Google Translate, it spits out "we decided to build models from scratch" or something. I asked my friend who knows Japanese what that line really meant and they said it meant "we decided from the beginning to remake the models"

This screams like the whole "Square Enix is censoring games!" debacle when someone directly translated a blurb about Tifa's design in the FF7 Remake and people took it out of context.

14 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201906/13177936.html

I think that's the article in question. The answer to question 2 contains a line where if you pop it into Google Translate, it spits out "we decided to build models from scratch" or something. I asked my friend who knows Japanese what that line really meant and they said it meant "we decided from the beginning to remake the models"

This screams like the whole "Square Enix is censoring games!" debacle when someone directly translated a blurb about Tifa's design in the FF7 Remake and people took it out of context.

Interesting - I still think this is a big ole nothing sandwich. They should wait until the damn game comes out, and decide for themselves if it looks better quality than the 3DS games. So much more goes into a model than just the 3D model itself.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

... are we really in a world where ppl are complaining about reused models and polygon counts for characters in our beloved franchises?! WTH, either it will be a good game or not, poly count or an asset imported from sun/moon and up-scaled won't change that. SO many games re-use assets, as long as they match in-game (and i have seen nothing to indicate otherwise), I see no problem with it. Stop being mad just to be mad ppl, I know it's so cool these days... lol. This is Nintendo/game freak we are talking about here, have faith that they know what they are doing... this isn't *ahem* EA *ahem* 

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

10 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

... are we really in a world where ppl are complaining about reused models and polygon counts for characters in our beloved franchises?! WTH, either it will be a good game or not, poly count or an asset imported from sun/moon and up-scaled won't change that. SO many games re-use assets, as long as they match in-game (and i have seen nothing to indicate otherwise), I see no problem with it. Stop being mad just to be mad ppl, I know it's so cool these days... lol. This is Nintendo/game freak we are talking about here, have faith that they know what they are doing... this isn't *ahem* EA *ahem* 

I think people who are upset about the cutting of the roster are looking for any reason to continue berating Game Freak.

42 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

30 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I think people who are upset about the cutting of the roster are looking for any reason to continue berating Game Freak.

No they promised something in return for cutting the national dex that they didnt deliver. Is there no concept of accountability any more and devs are expected to lie to their fan base and get away with it

30 minutes ago, comander said:

You have new pokemon... 

At some level I suspect they're trying to make a new meta-game for the MP which is tricky in and of itself.

Pokemon is never going to be balanced unless they cut the number of pokemon to 5 or remove all mechanics unique to different pokemon and make them all do the same thing

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

No they promised something in return for cutting the national dex that they didnt deliver. Is there no concept of accountability any more and devs are expected to lie to their fan base and get away with it

We don't know that. You're coming to a conclusion without all available evidence.

At worst, all we can say right now is that one or two models are similar in mesh to their 3DS counterparts. That says nothing about animations, textures, and everything else that goes into a 3D object.

It also says nothing of the other... what... 398 pokemon?

8 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

You still haven't proven this. By prove, did you actually take a production cartridge or ROM file, dump its contents, and examine it yourself? And can you give said method so that others can verify from the point of having a cartridge?

Because if you did none of this, what some rando on the internet says should be taken with a grain of salt.

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

We don't know that. You're coming to a conclusion without all available evidence.

At worst, all we can say right now is that one or two models are similar in mesh to their 3DS counterparts. That says nothing about animations, textures, and everything else that goes into a 3D object.

It also says nothing of the other... what... 398 pokemon?

I already explained data mining and people looked through a lot of them and sure some had minor differences but the vast majority were the same. I play a mmo called bdo and in the beginning it had lots of hidden stats and the rng enhancement system percentages were also hidden and then bloo data mined the game and gave us concrete numbers on them. Then earlier this year the devs made them all visible and confirmed what bloo data mined.

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

You still haven't proven this. By prove, did you actually take a production cartridge or ROM file, dump its contents, and examine it yourself? And can you give said method so that others can verify from the point of having a cartridge?

Because if you did none of this, what some rando on the internet says should be taken with a grain of salt.

Ofc you should take it with a grain of salt but with many individual data miners confirming the same thing and nobody came out to say they data mined something different its pretty credible imo

Just now, spartaman64 said:

I already explained data mining and people looked through a lot of them and sure some had minor differences but the vast majority were the same. I play a mmo called bdo and in the beginning it had lots of hidden stats and the rng enhancement system percentages were also hidden and then bloo data mined the game and gave us concrete numbers on them. Then earlier this year the devs made them all visible and confirmed what bloo data mined.

Have you seen the gameplay, though? Have you seen the end result of the visual quality of the game and the models in question?

Just... just stop. Stop, take a step back, and judge the game for yourself on whether you think there's a justifiable increase in quality.

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

I play a mmo called bdo and in the beginning it had lots of hidden stats and the rng enhancement system percentages were also hidden and then bloo data mined the game and gave us concrete numbers on them. Then earlier this year the devs made them all visible and confirmed what bloo data mined.

Your anecdotal is irrelevant.

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

people looked through a lot of them and sure some had minor differences but the vast majority were the same.

People CLAIMED that. Doesn’t mean jack shit until we can actually verify that.

Actually, still doesn’t mean shit. We don’t have access to every detail of the model development in Sword and Shield.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

Ofc you should take it with a grain of salt but with many individual data miners confirming the same thing and nobody came out to say they data mined something different its pretty credible imo

And where did most of these data miners come from? 4chan. 4chan, the greatest source of any factual evidence amirite?

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Have you seen the gameplay, though? Have you seen the end result of the visual quality of the game and the models in question?

Just... just stop. Stop, take a step back, and judge the game for yourself on whether you think there's a justifiable increase in quality.

Did you not read any of my posts I said that it could still be a good game

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Your anecdotal is irrelevant.

People CLAIMED that. Doesn’t mean jack shit until we can actually verify that.

Actually, still doesn’t mean shit. We don’t have access to every detail of the model development in Sword and Shield.

My anecdote shows that data miners can find information in game files and they are not just random guessers

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

And where did most of these data miners come from? 4chan. 4chan, the greatest source of any factual evidence amirite?

You think theres a big global conspiracy of data miners from Reddit 4chan and other forums to make nintendo look bad for 2 days 

Did you not read any of my posts I said that it could still be a good game

Exactly. So just stop and wait.

You're working yourself up over what? Nothing, until you can see it for yourself.

I get it, you're a fan, you're worried. But you're worried over possibly nothing. Just wait and see.

My anecdote shows that data miners can find information in game files and they are not just random guessers

Perhaps - but who cares? Wait and see for yourself.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Exactly. So just stop and wait.

You're working yourself up over what? Nothing, until you can see it for yourself.

I get it, you're a fan, you're worried. But you're worried over possibly nothing. Just wait and see.

Perhaps - but who cares? Wait and see for yourself.

Im not worked up I've been calm this entire time and you guys seem more worked up than me. And yes we will see tomorrow

So?

It’s still an anecdote. It’s irrelevant to the conversation as your anecdote revolves around a released game and the questions asked were basic in game stats.

These games are not yet released AND the question of why game content was ‘cut’ isn’t going to be in the game code. Creatures Inc could have easily created new models that are similar to the old ones, or ultimately not used (for a variety of reasons) in the upcoming games. Data mining wouldn’t be able to tell us that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.