Moral conundrum

Sat1600

I purchased a ryzen 2700x at microcenter for $160. Then the price dropped to $130. I went in for a price adjustment which they were happy to do. They refunded the original purchase and repurchased at the new price.

Here is the thing. The CPU came with a game code for borderlands 3 or outer worlds. I sold the code for $30. When I did the return. rebuy the system spit out another code automatically.

So I feel like I'm not really entitled to a second code. The guy who purchased my first code has not had any problems. I feel funny about claiming or selling the new code. 

On the other hand I feel like the code is already generated. Does AMD pay for the code only once redeemed? Or is it already paid for and now there is no way to return it and I may as well use it?

Thoughts?

*cough* i'll take it off your hands so you don't need to feel guilty *cough*

in all seriousness you shouldn't feel bad. since it's not going to hurt someone because you just got another automatically generated code

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

If it helps, AMD made a deal where they basically bought let's say 100k licenses of that game for 10$ each or something like that, so you didn't cost AMD 30$

Also, a lot of gamers don't even redeem those codes. For example, I bought a second rx570 card that came with a game (Hitman I think but it may have been something else) which is just not my cup of tea so I never claimed the code.

I'm sure they only pay for the codes that are redeemed so...

It's more or less like a mail-in rebate scheme for them with faster gratification for users ... they could offer 30$ mail in rebate but then user would have to stress about filling forms correctly and waiting weeks for cheque to come in the mail (and some are rejected as the forms are not filled correctly) or they can give you the games.

Just as some users never end up mailing those bar codes to get the 30$ mail in rebate, some people won't ever claim the games.

29 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

I purchased a ryzen 2700x at microcenter for $160. Then the price dropped to $130. I went in for a price adjustment which they were happy to do. They refunded the original purchase and repurchased at the new price.

Here is the thing. The CPU came with a game code for borderlands 3 or outer worlds. I sold the code for $30. When I did the return. rebuy the system spit out another code automatically.

So I feel like I'm not really entitled to a second code. The guy who purchased my first code has not had any problems. I feel funny about claiming or selling the new code. 

On the other hand I feel like the code is already generated. Does AMD pay for the code only once redeemed? Or is it already paid for and now there is no way to return it and I may as well use it?

Thoughts?

Since they didn't just give you a credit or refund of the difference, to the system it looks like a whole new sale. And returns aren't conditional to returning any promotional material received during the purchase. I'd say don't feel too bad. I don't think you can return promotional items, either. So, even if you wanted to do 'the right thing' and give it back, the best you could do is give it to someone else in line who is also buying an AMD product (but then they will still receive the code when they get to the register). You can opt to not use it, but if it works the same as any of Nvidia's promotional items, you can still redeem it months after the fact, so it's going to be a 'live' code for a long time.

All in all, whether you sell it, use it, or hold it, the outcome is going to be the same to all parties involved. Best case: AMD "saves" 60 dollars. Worst case: AMD "loses" 60 dollars. You might save the company enough money to pay one employee for 35-40-ish minutes of work.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

A game code didn't cost anything to make, it's just text. If you got a physical product then it's a different story, but you shouldn't stress about something that was made for basically free.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

23 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

A game code didn't cost anything to make, it's just text. If you got a physical product then it's a different story, but you shouldn't stress about something that was made for basically free.

Dependent on what you consider the object to be.  The code cost effectively nothing.  The game took years to make.  It’s already made though.  Also the maker has already been paid.  It’s quite subjective.  The biggest variable is how it makes the OP feel I think.  Would the OP have bought the game anyway?  Doubtful.  He already sold one code.  Would he have bought the game at a lower price?  Would a good solution be to keep the game and donate the price he feels is appropriate for his interest and situation?    Morality is twitchy.  Humans have been wrestling with it for thousands of years.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Dependent on what you consider the object to be.  The code cost effectively nothing.  The game took years to make.  It’s already made though.  Also the maker has already been paid.  It’s quite subjective.  The biggest variable is how it makes the OP feel I think.  Would the OP have bought the game anyway?  Doubtful.  He already sold one code.  Would he have bought the game at a lower price?  Would a good solution be to keep the game and donate the price he feels is appropriate for his interest and situation?    Morality is twitchy.  Humans have been wrestling with it for thousands of years.

I think this is part of the answer. I would not have purchased either game. If I keep the code and use it myself the makers are not losing out. On the other hand if it costs amd money every time someone redeems a code, then it does cost them even if  I just keep it for myself 

Your not costing amd anything meaningful so dont worry about it.

I just got a 3700x and couldnt get the xbox game pass code to work. Hit up customer service and they just sent me new codes so i ended up with both borderlands 3 and outer worlds and one game pass trial.

They are handing them out like candy on halloween. 

Morality is fleeting - base YOUR morals off what you feel in YOUR heart - if you base them off societies moralities you may have ended up owning human beings a couple hundred years ago, which was morally acceptable in society.

My morals on this would be - its a game code, you were given, twice.  Not your issue.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

OT but, can I buy it? xD 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

22 hours ago, Sat1600 said:

I think this is part of the answer. I would not have purchased either game. If I keep the code and use it myself the makers are not losing out. On the other hand if it costs amd money every time someone redeems a code, then it does cost them even if  I just keep it for myself 

“Search your feelings Luke”.  What do you feel is appropriate? What would make this work for you?  Could be many things.  If you’re a fan of the whole tree planting thing you could sell it and plant some trees for example.  That’s been a common favorite on the internet lately. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I had a game code for division two when I bought an rx570 for my second pc that was staying at my parents house for when I was off school for breaks and I forgot to redeem it at home and when I was back at school I couldn't because it could not detect that hardware in my system and would not give me the game key. I say use it, it won't cost them anything as they likely already made a deal with the game studio at a fixed price likely up to a certain number of keys or for a specific amount of time. Use it while you can because it will expire like mine did. Plus its not really being dishonest they gave you a second code and you did technically purchase it again, view it as a flaw in their system rather than something you did

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

On 11/13/2019 at 8:02 AM, Sat1600 said:

Thoughts?

Enjoy your free game, as while this may not be intentional, a ~$60 mistake is not worth yours or their time to correct.

If you don't feel good about using it yourself you have two other options. You can either leave the code unused or you can give it away to a friend or family member. 

When the Note 7 came out, I did the Samsung promo for the free 256gb SD card. A week later when I had to return the Note 7 and switched it for the S7 EDGE, I did the promo again and got another 256gb SD card.

Don't feel bad about taking advantage of deals like that.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

They're your morals and you have to sleep with them, not me or anyone else on this forum.  As far as I am concerned humanity only has two sides, on one side we're all fucked because we are human and there is no helping that, on the other hand if we don't start basing our decisions and expectations on decency and and some form of moral code then we are doomed to always be on the first side.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just give it away to a friend, who perhaps likes the game but never considered buying it. Or give it away to anyone for that matter. In this case it doesn't really matter, it's only a code, AMD probably buys them for dirt cheap, you can sell it, doesn't change much anyway. If you really want to, you can just leave the code and forget about it if you must. I mean the developer in theory already got payed by AMD for that very code that got shipped with your CPU as they usually buy a limited number of code.

So yeah, you either sell it, give it away, or at last just throw the code away in the bin and forget about it.

On 11/13/2019 at 9:02 AM, Sat1600 said:

Thoughts?

AMD likely gets the codes extremely cheap from the publisher, so don't feel too bad about it. They're either paid for by advance or at time of purchase.

Microcenter sold me my motherbaord (ASUS Strix Z370-G Wifi AC, MSRP $185) for like $65 on accident when I tried getting the price marked down because it dropped between the time I ordered it online and when I went to pick it up. I guess they forgot a 1 or something. Great day for me. Probably not so great for the manager that rang me up, if it was even noticed afterwards.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W