Very Loud Case, Fans at Full Speed at all Times

Yesterday I got my new system.

The Case I am using is an Antec GX 500 Window Blue (I thought I had ordered the windowless Black version, but this one is the same except for... well, the window).

It is loud. According to specs, the GX 500 should have had the same noise levels as my previous case - yet it does not. It is significantly louder. Sound Meter, the app I use to measure noise levels, shows 45 db. Online reviews measured the noise levels at 35 dbA at 100%.

It seems that the fans are running at full speed. I have no way of knowing if they are 100%, but... it sure sounds like it.

The GX 500 has manual fan controls (only one of which seems to have any effect btw), but it doesn't make much of a difference whether I set the fans to low, stop, or high speed. It is still very loud.

Any ideas what could be causing this issue?

How can I tell the exact speed of the fans (and more importantly, how can I control it)?

How do I know it is the case fans, and not the CPU cooler, the PSU cooler, or the GPU coolers that are making so much noise?

Relevant system specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX5700 XT Pulse

PSU: Antec EDG 550W Gold Plus (Silence Defined, btw)

ps: if at all relevant, I am using a Samsung 970 NVMe, and two Western Digital HDDs. I think the PC became louder when I installed the storage disk, a Western Digital Red 2TB 5400 RPM.

Have you tried plugging your case fans into the motherboard? 

Installing a hard drive shouldn't have an impact on your fans' speeds, unless you'd literally stick it to the fans and they'd have no air to breathe, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Are the fans plugged into your case, your motherboard or your PSU? If they're plugged into your PSU, they will spin at 100% as long as the PSU has power. If they're plugged into the motherboard you can control the fans using software.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I checked the fans. The side intake fan is plugged directly into the motherboard, and the front and rear fans are plugged in the manual fan-controllers near the top of the case, which is itself plugged into the motherboard.

On 11/3/2019 at 4:11 PM, Mateyyy said:

Have you tried plugging your case fans into the motherboard? 

5 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Are the fans plugged into your case, your motherboard or your PSU?

This also explains why, when using the controller, the front and the rear fans turn off/slow down, but the window fan keeps going at full speed.

Considering that turning off the front and rear fans does not make the case significantly quieter, could the window fan be the one to blame for the majority of the noise?

5 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

If they're plugged into the motherboard you can control the fans using software.

Could you recommend me some?

13 hours ago, Katarn said:

Could you recommend me some?

Speed fan is often the Go-To, it gives you a lot of options and can give you real time feedback of RPM's if the fans are 4 pin PWM. You can also choose to have a fan curve based on CPU, GPU or system temps. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 11/5/2019 at 2:28 PM, TVwazhere said:

Speed fan is often the Go-To, it gives you a lot of options and can give you real time feedback of RPM's if the fans are 4 pin PWM. You can also choose to have a fan curve based on CPU, GPU or system temps. 

I installed Speed Fan.

But other than the the temperature of the hard drives and CPU usage, the Readings tab shows nothing.

I don't think it recognizes the fans (or anything else other than the hard drives for that matter)

7 minutes ago, Katarn said:

I installed Speed Fan.

But other than the the temperature of the hard drives and CPU usage, the Readings tab shows nothing.

I don't think it recognizes the fans (or anything else other than the hard drives for that matter)

If the fans are 3 pin DC-DC fans, then there wont be an RPM readout,just a % fan speed. You might have to configure it to detect certain headers on your motherboard. 

44 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

If the fans are 3 pin DC-DC fans, then there wont be an RPM readout,just a % fan speed. You might have to configure it to detect certain headers on your motherboard.

I think there is something wrong.

I don't know if Speed Fan is incompatible with my motherboard (MSI B450 Tomahawk Max) or something else, but I am not seeing anything of what is in the video.

Under Configure, the Temperatures tab shows only the three hard drives (even though one of them is an NVMe, not an HDD). The Advanced tab is empty. So is everything else under Configure, except for Options. When I check Advanced Fan Control, the Add button is greyed out.

The only field that is not completely empty is the Exotics tab, which shows my CPU cores alongside my three drives.

Readings shows neither % fan speed nor RPM. It shows no fans. Just the three drives and their temperatures. The program does not recognize my GPU either. The bottom half of the Readings tab is completely empty (no place to enter values or the little arrows) - it is literally empty. In fact, there is nothing in that tab I can click other than the "Configure" and the "Minimze" buttons. Other tabs are not much better.