Star Wars V. Star Trek

xARACHN1D

Star Wars V. Star Trek  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is better?

• Star Wars
    • Star Trek

I wish to hear your opinions. Which do you like better, Star Wars or Star Trek? I Used to think when I was younger that Star Trek was a lost cause and nobody liked it and that everybody was hooked on Star Wars. So, Which is your favorite and why? Put it down below. Also add your vote to the poll.

Neither - they are both fantastic, and trying to compete against one vs the other is, in my opinion, pointless.

Star Wars tends to be more comedy and action adventure, Star Trek tends to be more drama and action thriller.

Though the newer Trek shows are blurring the traditional lines - Discovery is borderline Star Wars - though way heavier on the hard Scifi front.

You must not be that old if Star Trek was a lost cause and nobody liked it when you were young. Star Trek was at it's peak in the 90's and early 00's with TNG, DS9, and Voyager - plus all the TNG movies.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Neither - they are both fantastic, and trying to compete against one vs the other is, in my opinion, pointless.

Star Wars tends to be more comedy and action adventure, Star Trek tends to be more drama and action thriller.

Though the newer Trek shows are blurring the traditional lines - Discovery is borderline Star Wars - though way heavier on the hard Scifi front.

You must not be that old if Star Trek was a lost cause and nobody liked it when you were young. Star Trek was at it's peak in the 90's and early 00's with TNG, DS9, and Voyager - plus all the TNG movies.

yea. I was born in 2003. So I am a huge star wars nerd.

Star Trek.

Star Wars lost all charm IMO, not that it really had much to begin with.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, xARACHN1D said:

yea. I was born in 2003. So I am a huge star wars nerd.

Well that's one cross generational thing we share. My friends and I are in the midst of a full Saga re-watch in anticipation of Episode 9 coming out.

We've watched Ep's 1-3, Rogue One + ANH, and we're doing Empire Strikes Back on Sunday. We skipped Solo - it's a good movie, but has nothing to do with the overarching Saga storyline. We might catch it after finishing TLJ if we've got time before Rise of Skywalker comes out - which we have opening night tickets for.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Both are great pieces of Sci-Fi entertainment, although I tend to prefer Star Wars (but that's mainly due to me being born in 2000). 

Star Trek is great because it's more drama/thriller oriented and follows in theory what true space travel/exploration would be like in a century or two.

Star Wars is borderline Sci-Fi western and has a rich lore behind it, which is what I like. I'm a huge lore nerd. 

not to say Star Trek doesn't have rich lore/backstory, I just don't find it as interesting. 

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Well that's one cross generational thing we share. My friends and I are in the midst of a full Saga re-watch in anticipation of Episode 9 coming out.

We've watched Ep's 1-3, Rogue One + ANH, and we're doing Empire Strikes Back on Sunday. We skipped Solo - it's a good movie, but has nothing to do with the overarching Saga storyline. We might catch it after finishing TLJ if we've got time before Rise of Skywalker comes out - which we have opening night tickets for.

That reminds me to buy tickets. I completely forgot. I am so excited for this movie. When I heard palpatines laugh I was like O_O.

I've always been a massive Star Trek fan! Just enjoyed it more than Star Wars.

However I go enjoy both! 

Here's a riddle:

If Storm Troopers and Red Shirts were having a battle, Who'd Win?

Storm Troopers can't hit the broadside of a barn and Red Shirts always die.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

1 minute ago, xARACHN1D said:

That reminds me to buy tickets. I completely forgot. I am so excited for this movie.

Better get them soon if you want good seats - my local theatres aren't sold out yet, but I bet they will be within a few weeks.

When I heard palpatines laugh I was like O_O.

I think every nerd in the Star Wars fandom lost their minds. I've heard some "leaks" (I've been trying to avoid them mostly) that are... well, let's just say, I'm fucking stoked with what I heard.

3 minutes ago, Sousuke said:

I've always been a massive Star Trek fan! Just enjoyed it more than Star Wars.

However I go enjoy both! 

Here's a riddle:

If Storm Troopers and Red Shirts were having a battle, Who'd Win?

Storm Troopers can't hit the broadside of a barn and Red Shirts always die.

Bro... I watched a film theory on why storm troopers constantly miss. Its because every time they shoot at a Jedi, the Jedi can use the force and misdirect the bolts. It was shown in the movie rogue one when the guy who had force abilities walked out in the middle of a firefight and didn't get hit once whereas the other machine gun guy got shot like instantly. Sorry I don't know exact names, I wasn't a big fan of rogue one. Anyway, in this case stormtroopers would win.

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Better get them soon if you want good seats - my local theatres aren't sold out yet, but I bet they will be within a few weeks.

I think every nerd in the Star Wars fandom lost their minds. I've heard some "leaks" (I've been trying to avoid them mostly) that are... well, let's just say, I'm fucking stoked with what I heard.

I have stayed away from any and all leaks. I don't even watch the commercials anymore. I only watched that one and that was it. Nowadays commercials are just spoilers.

I like Star Trek much better. Although I also enjoyed watching Star Wars, it never really excited me.

I feel that Star Trek has more sophisticated plots (not true for every episode/film obviously, but there are some real highlights) and some truly remarkable actors (I really like Sir Patrick Stewart, Brent Spiner and John deLancie for example). Last but not least, I like how the writers/producers of Star Trek went to great length to try to imagine how future technologies and societies might look like. They even try to keep the fictional languages used consistent throughout the series (to the point that the Klingon language has enough structure and vocabulary for Klingon language seminars to exist). I feel like I could go on for hours in that direction.

Bro... I watched a film theory on why storm troopers constantly miss.

There are actually multiple theories - and in particular, the actions of the Storm Troopers on the Death Star during ANH - they were intentionally missing. They let Han, Luke, Leia, and Chewie escape on purpose because they planted a tracking device on the Falcon, and wanted to follow them to the Alliance Command base on Yavin 4.

Its because every time they shoot at a Jedi, the Jedi can use the force and misdirect the bolts. It was shown in the movie rogue one when the guy who had force abilities walked out in the middle of a firefight and didn't get hit once whereas the other machine gun guy got shot like instantly.

Interesting theory, but the accepted theory is that Jedi (and other force users like Chirrut Imwe (Donnie Yen's character from Rogue One)) are not moving the blaster bolts, exactly, but as a Jedi, they can see a few milliseconds into the Future (usually instinctively) - so they know where the blaster bolt will land before it's even been fired, which means he can calmly walk through a battlefield because he knows ahead of time where each bolt will hand.

Additionally, there could be some mental manipulation going on (Eg: confusing the troopers in the area, making their minds clouded, difficult to concentrate, etc).

On the flip side, we see Kylo Ren straight up freeze a blaster bolt in mid air - so we do know it's possible to manipulate them to some degree or another.

4 minutes ago, xARACHN1D said:

I have stayed away from any and all leaks. I don't even watch the commercials anymore. I only watched that one and that was it. Nowadays commercials are just spoilers.

The final trailer was fucking sweet - but yeah, might well be a bit spoilery. I don't think it was too bad though.

I was 13 years old when the first Star Trek series come out and it was great. It had concepts in it that any reader of science fiction would be familiar with. 

It was about the system and the people living in it like you would find in the works of Robert Heinlein. 

The successful Star Trek series that came after used the same concepts as the first.                                                                                                                                                        

I was 23 when Star Wars came out and was not really comparable to Star Trek. It used the pacing that was popular with old 30s and 40s sci fi movie serials that I loved to watch at matinees when I was in my pre teens. So more like Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon. I would compare it to writings by Andre Norton. The first movie was great but I was not a fan of any of the other movies.

My Favorite Star Wars I was "Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic" the video game and its sequel that was done by Obsidian.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Just now, D.U.F.F. said:

-beautiful snip-

100% agreed - While production and some of the acting in Season 1 is uh... pretty rough - after Season 2 gets underway, it's fucking kickass (Season 3 and 4 are the best of the series by far - the Shadow War arc followed by the EA Civil War).

I love both shows. I think that Star Wars is better even tho I grew up with TNG and Voyager. Some it may have been Visual effects some maybe story lines/lightsabers. Both comparing them apples to apples is not fair. A more fair Comparison maybe Stargate to Star Wars and Battlestar Galatic to Star Trek

Neither really? Like Dalekphalm pointed out, they're different but one isn't better than the other (though I do enjoy the memes). I personally prefer Star Wars purely because that's what I grew up on, but I've liked a lot of the Star Trek stuff I've seen too. Though recently I've been much more into the Destiny universe, it's got quite a lot of cool lore and such, haven't dabbled in Star Wars much lately other than passively collecting some of the Lego spaceships. Don't think the new movies helped with that, TLJ was an oof on many fronts even outside of what it did with the lore, though I did quite like Solo (even if it was an unneeded movie that no one wanted, it was a good watch). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I enjoy star trek a lot more although the first star wars movies were terrific. One aspect I really like is the deep sci-fi element and flipping back and forth between the future and the past. When you watch TNG, the ships and technology look much more advanced than Kirks era from 100 years before...one especially cool episode was from the series 'Enterprise', called "In a mirror darkly" It essentially had Kirks sister ship battle the present day enterprise built 100 years earlier. Of course, my favorites are 'best of both worlds' with the seemingly invisible Borg.

Star wars, on the other hand lacks any form of evolution of technology...almost like they always had light sabers and star destroyers.

3 minutes ago, steelo said:

I enjoy star trek a lot more although the first star wars movies were terrific. I like the deep sci-fi element and flipping back and forth between the future and the past. When you watch TNG, the ships and technology look much more advanced than Kirks era from 100 years before.

Star wars, on the other hand lacks any form of evolution of technology...almost like they always had light sabers and star destroyers.

If you looked into the lore, you would see the evolution of their tech. Its all canon too. Its just in the comics.

7 minutes ago, xARACHN1D said:

If you looked into the lore, you would see the evolution of their tech. Its all canon too. Its just in the comics.

Perhaps so, but tbh I'm really not into star wars enough to read the books or comics. I'm referring mainly to the mainstream movies. I did love the 70-80's movies though...the 'current' prequels suck monkey balls. Honestly though, the new star trek 'discovery' series sucks pretty bad too. CBS turned it into a political correctness monologue.

6 minutes ago, steelo said:

Perhaps so, but tbh I'm really not into star wars enough to read the books or comics. I'm referring mainly to the mainstream movies. I did love the 70-80's movies though...the 'current' prequels suck monkey balls. Honestly though, the new star trek 'discovery' sucks pretty bad too.

I can see where you are coming from.

3 minutes ago, xARACHN1D said:

Most of the lore isn't canon. Disney retracted any canon status of third party material (of which nearly everything universe building is).

And the "evolution" resembles that of our phone market the past five years: small incremental improvements.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

12 minutes ago, steelo said:

I enjoy star trek a lot more although the first star wars movies were terrific. I like the deep sci-fi element and flipping back and forth between the future and the past. When you watch TNG, the ships and technology look much more advanced than Kirks era.

As opposed to star wars, it seems there was no evolution of technology...almost like they always had light sabers and star destroyers.

Lightsabers they have, they're quite ancient and traditional force-user weapons IIRC. Star Destroyers belong to 3 different eras in the movies: Clone Wars, Original Trilogy, and Sequel Trilogy. The Venator-class star destroyers in the Clone Wars were quite different to the OT ones. Different shape and I think they were also a lot smaller (they're just never shown side-by-side). The OT ones are basically revised versions of the Clone Wars tech, updated for the slightly newer times (I think there's only a 10-20 year gap between the Clone Wars and Original Trilogy). Sequel Trilogy was just reskinned Empire and Rebels. To better explain the more common ships, here's CW > OT > ST:

ARC-170 > T65 X-Wing (quite a lot different, only a single pilot, smaller, but similar abilities and wing setup) - T70 X-Wing (just a refresh)

Jedi Interceptor (ETA-2 specifically) > TIE Fighter (various, all very different to the interceptors while still having similar wing and cockpit placing) > TIE Fighter (wow they have shields now such amaze)

Y-Wing > Y-Wing (but usually with the armor panels removed) > Y-Wing (IIRC they stopped making them after the Clone Wars, during the OT they were destroying those that were left, any still running were "liberated" by the Rebels/Resistance/etc)

B-Wings and A-Wings IDK much about, other than that one of the squid people designed the B-Wing off the tail end of the Clone Wars, it's solidly an OT era and onward ship. 

Venator-Class Star Destroyer > ISD (Imperial-Class Star Destroyer, a bit bigger and a slightly tweaked shape/bridge layout) > those ones from the sequels that are mostly just even bigger or a very light reskin

Basically most of them changed a good bit between the Clone Wars and Original Trilogy, even given the relatively small time gap. 

Whereas the Sequels just put a very light reskin on all the stuff even though there's a larger time gap AFAIK. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

12 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Most of the lore isn't canon. Disney retracted any canon status of third party material (of which nearly everything universe building is).

And the "evolution" resembles that of our phone market the past five years: small incremental improvements.

Disney Messed up star wars. Nuff said.