[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

3 minutes ago, NeptuneIX said:

Can i press the button even when the PC is on?

Yeah, that's the whole point.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

Yeah, that's the whole point.

but theres no good way to tell which mode is set

Like when the button is pushed in what does that mean?

Edit: Nvm i saw on the amazon QNA page for the foucs plus platinum and a seasonic rep said this "

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. Actually the Hybrid fanless mode is when the button is in the out position. If pushed in, the fan will be engaged and spin continuously. We have documentation in our FAQ that explains this function in more detail. - https://knowledge.seasonic.com/article/9-focus-plus-fan-control-button.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns." 

So ye i just pushed the button in

1 hour ago, NeptuneIX said:

but theres no good way to tell which mode is set

Like when the button is pushed in what does that mean?

It's not clear, on Riotoro website a wording implies that it's supposed to be three-position button but on Seasonic website it's two-position (semi-fanless when unpressed).

1 hour ago, Juular said:

It's not clear, on Riotoro website a wording implies that it's supposed to be three-position button but on Seasonic website it's two-position (semi-fanless when unpressed).

Lol no its bs, i dont think riotoro can/needs to change that, even then its apparently a "max cooling mode" which would imply itd ramp up the fan to max but pressing the button a few times didnt result that at all, so its just BS or its worded wrong on their site.

27 minutes ago, NeptuneIX said:

Lol no its bs, i dont think riotoro can/needs to change that, even then its apparently a "max cooling mode" which would imply itd ramp up the fan to max but pressing the button a few times didnt result that at all, so its just BS or its worded wrong on their site.

It's also possibly effective only in new revision.

55 minutes ago, Juular said:

It's also possibly effective only in new revision.

Wdym by new revision?

1 hour ago, NeptuneIX said:

Wdym by new revision?

Based on Focus GX.

On 4/10/2020 at 6:46 AM, Juular said:

It was fixed presumably in v2 revision but IIRC there's no way to determine which revision you're buying. If you can't 'try-out' the Focus, i.e buy it and return if it doesn't work then get FM2, assuming you're in Poland it would be way easier to work with support then even should the need arise.

Hey I'm posting once again today I found that there is Gigabyte 750w GH in A rank and I also found out that it's cheaper than SPC one. Would this be fine for specs I listed before?

That is R5 2600, Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro. Because it's pretty cheap in comparison to other 650w 80+ gold PSUs

15 minutes ago, Ktuky said:

Hey I'm posting once again today I found that there is Gigabyte 750w GH in A rank and I also found out that it's cheaper than SPC one. Would this be fine for specs I listed before?

That is R5 2600, Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro. Because it's pretty cheap in comparison to other 650w 80+ gold PSUs

Yeah, it good, probably somewhat less good than SPC S FM2 but if it's significantly cheaper - why not, nothing wrong with it per se.

@junzhi2002 No, i can't find any clear shots of it's internals but it looks different if we compare what we see through exhaust vent.

Question, friendos. What are some top-notch PSU reviewers? Lookin' for people that review PSUs and are very trustworthy.

Also, would you fellows have any additional input regarding the Corsair RMi series? Any faults or anything? Would you guys say an RMi power supply is a solid choice? I'm aware of it being in the A+ tier, but I just want some additional input. Sincerest apologies if the question seems a bit stupid.

3 hours ago, ZeRedz said:

Question, friendos. What are some top-notch PSU reviewers? Lookin' for people that review PSUs and are very trustworthy.

Aris Mpitzioupolos \ crmaris at Tom's Hardware, TechPowerup, his YT channel 'Hardware Busters' and Cybenetics.

Also, would you fellows have any additional input regarding the Corsair RMi series? Any faults or anything? Would you guys say an RMi power supply is a solid choice? I'm aware of it being in the A+ tier, but I just want some additional input. Sincerest apologies if the question seems a bit stupid.

Yes, it is but you could probably find smth cheaper.

3 hours ago, ZeRedz said:

Also, would you fellows have any additional input regarding the Corsair RMi series?

RMi is basically just an RMx with digital control on the rails and fan, as well as current measurement. the main difference is the multirail ocp, which makes it qualify for A+ while RMx doesn't.

it's a good choice at the right price, but generally high priced for what it is compared to for example HX(i)

Need help choosing a PSU.

Considering:

the tiers S, A+, A; 

a 600W load with high transient;

multi-rail OCP not required;

low noise (<20dB at target load) with cooling;

limited to $300;

targeting at least a 850W PSU;

Valuing ripple and transient response for 12V, 5V, 3.3V for equipment stability;

Not valuing regulation as long as it stays above reference;

Would there be a better choice other than AX850? AX1600i is nice but not needed and more expensive.

Does any of the S,A+,A PSU have true 12V multi-rail for noise/transient isolation?

Are there any reviews which evaluate frequency response during transients and peak deviations?

Besides cable routing, any negative aspects of in cable capacitors?

8 minutes ago, novorei said:

Does any of the S,A+,A PSU have true 12V multi-rail for noise/transient isolation?

No, last high-end true multi-rail was CWT PUC AFAIK (Corsair HX 850\1000W 2008).

10 minutes ago, novorei said:

Would there be a better choice other than AX850?

Define 'better'. Half of tier A\A+\S units would be just as good, better in some regards, worse in other.

What's your use-case for all this anyway ?

Hi, will you add the Itek GF series? Like the GF750? It is an 80+ gold full modular PSU and i kinda like the price point...
The only review i can find it's in Italian, the guy don't speak bad about it but still says it isn't at the level of an EVGA P2... somehow he even did a test at over 1000w on the 750... with success but poor psu...
Thank you

28 minutes ago, GABRYCA said:

Hi, will you add the Itek GF series? Like the GF750?

Yeah, it's SAMA Forza Gold based, like SilentiumPC Supremo FM2, decent stuff in other words.

28 minutes ago, GABRYCA said:

The only review i can find it's in Italian

This one ?

somehow he even did a test at over 1000w on the 750

That's common with most of modern PSUs, not really an indicator of quality or performance at this point.

Yeah, that one and a youtube video by Falco75 here.
Wow, thank you.
If it gets in a good price again i'll probably buy it (the 750w it's already at 87€ here).
I can't believe if it's a good thing the Gigabyte G750H gold under 50€ today... i'd like to buy it just to try, even if i don't really need 750w

6 minutes ago, GABRYCA said:

I can't believe if it's a good thing the Gigabyte G750H gold under 50€ today... i'd like to buy it just to try, even if i don't really need 750w

Yeah, it's good mid\high-end PSU. Not on the same level as Corsair RMx or Seasonic Focus and such but if it's significantly cheaper there's no reason not to get it.

ok, thank you (=
(For some reason there're people not liking it... maybe because of the CWT GPS architecture or whatever)

7 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Not a review. He doesn't include his measuring equipment or methodology. In load regulation tests he only posts an "average value" of each rail, which is pretty hilarious and horribly incompetent. Even people who "review" power supplies using a computer usually measure voltages at idle and at stress (which is still garbage nonetheless).

On the 1st page, as "test system" he lists just an ordinary PC, then under all that, as "miscellaneous" he lists a "Chroma Teststation". What would he need a beefy computer for, if he supposedly has a Chroma? And if he actually had a Chroma, wouldn't he feel like he should include which Chroma he's got?

How did he measure ripple without having an oscilloscope? Since he doesn't say he has a multimeter either, did he get his "average voltage value" from looking at HWInfo?

The last photo on page https://gamezoom.net/artikel/Seasonic_Core_GM_650W_Test_Review-45117-1# (of the AC input) is stolen from HardwareLuxx https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/galerie/komponenten/netzteile/seasonic_focus_plus_650_gold.html, I'm sure they will be delighted. He even made sure to crop out their watermark and put his own on it.

Conclusion: I say the guy put the Focus in his PC, lied about having a Chroma, stole photos from other reviewers, measured power consumption with a wattmeter, and made up voltage and ripple values off his head. Plus the measurement results are nonsensical even after being faked.

@OrionFOTL Didn't want to say that but this guy seems to make things up. Maybe he does measure voltage regulation with software reading from motherboard, maybe even noise readings by smartphone, that's all. His ripple data looks completely fabricated, not only in this review. He doesn't even disassemble units for that matter so his 'reviews' isn't even useful from this regard.

There's just one review relatively good looking review of SS Core to date. But it's in Chinese and i have no idea what's their setup.

once again im bother you 😛

https://www.xigmatek.com/product_detail.php?item=183

a friend of ours has this psu (x 650 to be exact)

his problem from his own words;

"i was playing insurgency sandstorm without any problem, all of a sudden a momentary freeze hapenned. fps went from 100 to 30. i waited some time for it to be normal again, but at that moment a smell of burnt started to come from the case. i immediaetly closed the pc and opened the side panel of the case but couldnt find the exact point where the smell came from. i opened the pc again and fps was normal again, everythwing was working properly. but still, a light burnt smell can still be felt. any ideas? i'm afraid of opening pc anymore.

addition: when the fps dropped, i checked the temps for gpu, cpu. they were relatively low and stable

sapphire 5700xt nitro+
ryzen 3600
asus rog strix b450-f gaming"