When should i build a PC, intel10nm, Brexit affect on PC parts

The Torrent

Was gonna build one last year, but didnt. Good thing too - would have lost so much money so quickly lol.

Now so much new stuff has come out this year, two generations of nvidia cards, ram prices almost halved, new cases, ssd prices almost halfed...

But earlier on this year, i bought an Alienware 17 which does me fine which i mainly just bought because i got it on sale and wanted one since a kid lol. No regrets be quiet XD.

So i have a choice, i can build a pc now, or wait until next year. If i dont build one now i will in exactly a years time.

What do you guys think? I'm mostly been waiting for intel 10nm i see its out on laptops this year but i see its still 14nm on desktop chips. Shall i just screw it and buy a 9th gen chip and a setup, or wait until 11th gen (which if that isnt something special, intel are done for and im an intel fanboy hate amd dont question it please dont want another blue v red discussion #pcmasterrace we are all cool its fine).

So what do you guys think?

I'm also wondering if Brexit will have an effect on PC part prices and which ones if anyone knows.. I'm not sure which parts would be affected as which parts are imported from europe and built here e.g etc.. but if anyone knows would love to hear.

Thanks

Well.. a no deal brexit will most certainly push prices up high and availability will be low. 

Also, why intel? Ryzen 3rd gen beats intel at a much lower price point.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Yes, Brexit will have an effect on parts in the UK. In the short term it will anyways. The pound is beginning to plunge and as we approach October 31st, it's going to be chaotic. So brace for impact because those prices could end up going through the roof if we leave on a WTO No-deal. Do not wait, buy NOW. If the prices do go crazy as expected, they will eventually after a few months go back to normal, but it will take time. So don't count on getting good prices in November. December at the earliest for decent prices after we have left (If we leave, of course).

10nm desktop has no relase date yet, the mobile parts are very close to launch though. And if we're honest...10nm doesn't look like anything special in those mobile parts from what I've seen. There's definitely an improvement there, but the loss in clock speeds will mean that it will fall into the grasp of Zen3 next year.

Just get Ryzen 3000 before October comes around and you'll be fine.

Intel 10th gen for desktop is slated for end of 2020 or start of 2021. Even intel thems lives admitted that they are unable to compete until 2021 in an internal memo. By then, Zen3 and Ryzen 4000 will be out soon who knows how that will pan out.

If you are buying now, the only logical option is AMD zen2. Intel is slower, runs hotter, uses less power and has about half a dozen severe security flaws with new ones bring revealed each month. Buying intel at their current price is just bad decision making.

10 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Yes, Brexit will have an effect on parts in the UK. In the short term it will anyways. The pound is beginning to plunge and as we approach October 31st, it's going to be chaotic. So brace for impact because those prices could end up going through the roof if we leave on a WTO No-deal. Do not wait, buy NOW. If the prices do go crazy as expected, they will eventually after a few months go back to normal, but it will take time. So don't count on getting good prices in November. December at the earliest for decent prices after we have left (If we leave, of course).

10nm desktop has no relase date yet, the mobile parts are very close to launch though. And if we're honest...10nm doesn't look like anything special in those mobile parts from what I've seen. There's definitely an improvement there, but the loss in clock speeds will mean that it will fall into the grasp of Zen3 next year.

Just get Ryzen 3000 before October comes around and you'll be fine.

Hmm.. Just a few months? So next year by august you think they may fully stabilise again?

Dont think 10nm looks very special? I saw articles saying that the laptop cpu's rival amd's desktop cpus.

Update: Intel has released a statement clarifying Bob Swan's comments, and arguing that its 10nm chips will be comparable with AMD's current 7nm process. Meanwhile, Intel promises that its 7nm that will arrive in 2021 will provide 2x scaling. 

---https://www.techradar.com/news/intel-admits-it-wont-catch-up-with-amds-7nm-chips-until-2021

is this a reason for waiting? 

1 hour ago, The Torrent said:

Hmm.. Just a few months? So next year by august you think they may fully stabilise again?

Dont think 10nm looks very special? I saw articles saying that the laptop cpu's rival amd's desktop cpus.

The laptop CPUs you mentioned are the same cores as current ones with better igpus and l4 cache. They will be about the same speed as current ones because they lose about 500MHz in maximum clocks which is compensated by the l4 on laptops but not on desktops. Also, no, laptops will be released in october-november with availability in December and January. The earliest a 10nm desktop CPU can appear is in September next year. By then, intel will be facing Zen3 and the incoming DDR5-based Zen4. Again, if you want to spend your money on a slower and less efficient part with security issues, that's your perogative, but there is a reason D market share has grown by so much in such a short time and why Google and Microsoft are moving to AMD Epyc servers.

1 hour ago, The Torrent said:

-snip-

No, because that's the same thing they said in 2015 about 10nm before it went up in flames. Double scaling is physically not possible with silicon currently. You'd need a major breakthrough or quantum parts. Both would be far too expensive to deploy on the consumer level. Furthermore, intel are retiring the ringbus so it's full mesh from now on. That means, much worse latency and the desperate need for an improvement in the interconnect if intel want to even be able the compete with zen1 as their mesh has shown significantly higher latency than IF on the HEDT mesh samples.

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The laptop CPUs you mentioned are the same cores as current ones with better igpus and l4 cache. They will be about the same speed as current ones because they lose about 500MHz in maximum clocks which is compensated by the l4 on laptops but not on desktops. Also, no, laptops will be released in october-november with availability in December and January. The earliest a 10nm desktop CPU can appear is in September next year. By then, intel will be facing Zen3 and the incoming DDR5-based Zen4. Again, if you want to spend your money on a slower and less efficient part with security issues, that's your perogative, but there is a reason D market share has grown by so much in such a short time and why Google and Microsoft are moving to AMD Epyc servers.

its just im thinking - leaving aside my hate for amd for a few mins - intel spent this many years on developing 10nm, they gotta have something haven't they? 

Just now, The Torrent said:

its just im thinking - leaving aside my hate for amd for a few mins - intel spent this many years on developing 10nm, they gotta have something haven't they? 

No, they don't. AMD spent 4 years on FX and it still underperformed by a lot. This is intels FX. They were thinking of scrapping it before Zen2 info started coming but currently they are still working on it because it's the only chance for them to stay relevant. If they let Zen3 come out and they have nothing,, it's going to be extremely hard to make a comeback as intel lost a lot good will with their corporate clients due to 10nm as it was repeatedly delayed every year for 4 years now. It was supposed to be released in 2016 in Skylake.

Hmm... So what do you think - any change of them recovering now - or you think they done for and amd is only way forward?

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

No, they don't. AMD spent 4 years on FX and it still underperformed by a lot. This is intels FX. They were thinking of scrapping it before Zen2 info started coming but currently they are still working on it because it's the only chance for them to stay relevant. If they let Zen3 come out and they have nothing,, it's going to be extremely hard to make a comeback as intel lost a lot good will with their corporate clients due to 10nm as it was repeatedly delayed every year for 4 years now. It was supposed to be released in 2016 in Skylake.

Also going a bit more to the topic but changing it slightly... sadly... do you think ryzen 3000 is fine or is it worth waiting for ryzen 4000, as i do have time to spare my alienware is doing fine, but is it worth the waiting, or will brexit have too much of an affect to wait a year.

It's all in the air. Currently, if AMD make another 10% IPC leap with Zen3, intel will have a tough time going forward. But it's anyone's guess. But Jim Keller also started work at Intel recently and has been behind some of the best CPU designs in history. So maybe intel will have something revolutionary in some years. But again, am speculating.

We have no presentations on Ryzen 4000, but Ryzen 3000 is exceptionally good so imo, that's the right choice.

1 minute ago, Curious Pineapple said:

If you delay buying because the next one is just a year away, you'll never buy anything ;)

I know what you mean, but if i dont build a pc in the next few months, im deffo building next year no matter what as ill need it, so im not asking whether i should delay my build, but as per the subject topic is the best time to do it now or to wait - as i can survive easily without the need to build a pc.

I wouldn't worry about Brexit, its highly unlikely the doomsday event being preached by some people will ever actually happen, its not like WTO is some boggyman bad thing, and trade isnt suddenly going to cease or become crazy expensive because the we leave the EU. Some brands may become more expensive if they are board partners in europe, but those outside europe should be fine.

For the most part the scare mongering is just political BS, ignore it.

As for best times to buy, well for cost saving its just before a release as old stock is usually put on sale, however in terms of purchase longevity u want to buy soon after a release.

Personally i buy in the period after a release and only when performance increase is worth while. So for example i got a 780 classi soon after release (was no word of the 780ti at the time) and didnt upgrade until the 20 series launched, at which point i bought a 1080ti since the 20 series was a dud imo.

I dont resell my gear, i use it for to long for it to be worth much by the time i upgrade. My 780classi for example aint worth much so i just keep it for display and backup.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

3 hours ago, The Torrent said:

I know what you mean, but if i dont build a pc in the next few months, im deffo building next year no matter what as ill need it, so im not asking whether i should delay my build, but as per the subject topic is the best time to do it now or to wait - as i can survive easily without the need to build a pc.

I would do it now. If. No deal scenario occurs, UK is gonna become very expensive - not gonna go into details as we are a tech forum, but as example, BA would not be able to fly over Europe the next day as it belongs to European airspace 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

7 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Furthermore, intel are retiring the ringbus so it's full mesh from now on.

Where'd you hear that? Because if that's actually the case then Intel will no longer have a significant gaming advantage and might even be significantly disadvantaged compared to Zen 3 or 4.

1 hour ago, ravenshrike said:

Where'd you hear that? Because if that's actually the case then Intel will no longer have a significant gaming advantage and might even be significantly disadvantaged compared to Zen 3 or 4.

They can't increase core count much more on ringbus and have stated intentions to retire mesh. 10 cores is the absolute maximum ringbus can support before it's less efficient than mesh. See HEDT 6000 Vs 7000

18 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I would do it now. If. No deal scenario occurs, UK is gonna become very expensive - not gonna go into details as we are a tech forum, but as example, BA would not be able to fly over Europe the next day as it belongs to European airspace 

That's no correct, an agreement was made earlier in the year that air travel remains unaffected  by brexit for 12 months

What do you think the effect of Brexit is on for example something specific,

this time next next year in August, will Brexit have had an effect (ofcourse just in opinion nobody can say anything definite) on something like LG 34UC79G-B monitor?

If your worried about prices changing due to Brexit I would go and ask an economics professional, university professor or someone like that.  There is no way the information on these forums can be trusted.    Economics is a crazy complicated thing and does not always do what even those in the trade expect it will.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just get a ryzen chip. Even if Intel's 10nm is out when they say it is, it will take 2 generations or more before they are optimised. The 1st gen are going to be rushed out and not be as good as the AMD equivalent. 

Why are you so gung ho about going intel? 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Stuff that I normally need to buy from abroad is costing me ~15% extra from 3 years ago because of the £ value change. Brexit hasn't happened yet so I dunno if you want to wait until it happens or not, and how much the £ will drop and for how long.

Proud father of three sweet  PCs:

"Bluey" i7 920 (11yo), "Burninator" Phenom 955 (10yo), "Rhyz" 3700x (2yo)

48 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Just get a ryzen chip. Even if Intel's 10nm is out when they say it is, it will take 2 generations or more before they are optimised. The 1st gen are going to be rushed out and not be as good as the AMD equivalent. 

Why are you so gung ho about going intel? 

Next year is 10nm, year after is 7nm or so they say, so there won’t be an ironed out 10nm. 

Cuz I don’t like amd. Always seen them as a cheap crap quality brand and had numerous bad experiences. Intel have market cap 7x amd im sure they’ll be able to put that money to some use and get something out soon.