New silent cases? Zero f's given to looks, all about de-noise

Dubba

Hello pepes

Looks like there haven't been new cases marketed as particularly silent lately, or maybe I'm blinded by all the amd hype.

So I'm building a new PC and I'm looking to get a non-glass panel version of the Define R6 at the moment, in 2019! Main focus is really the silence, only plus on the looks side I would consider is the color to be something else than black. Like in this case.. white. (Also I need a single 5,25" bay)

I know R6 is an upgrade to my current R4 in terms of airflow, but could you please tell me if there's anything even more silent or equivalent with exceptionally better airflow.

I'll be getting the biggest noctua cooler for cpu, I'll be leaving all the HDD's out of this build(they're really the loudest thing in my current build), PSU shall have a zero-rpm mode (RM650x prolly), RTX2060 gets noisy in games only and that's fine, mobo is still a questionmark since I don't know how loud x570 chipset fans are going to be

3700X | NH-D15 | X470-F | 2x16GB @3200MHz | RTX 2060 Ventus OC

RM650x | Fractal Design R4 | NVMe 970 EVO Plus 512GB | SATA 850 EVO 512GB

<Build Log>

Don't bother with noise reducing materials, its all about choosing low-noise components.

Most good PSUs have an almost entirely inaudible fan. 

Turning down the power limit on your gpu to about 80% will give you about the same performance. adjust the fan curve too. 

Use a bequiet cpu cooler, theyre great. 

turn down the case fan speed and/or get silent fans

5 hours ago, TrigrH said:

there are fanless PSUs and x570 motherboards

That's good to know

18 minutes ago, Cypher-Jackson said:

Don't bother with noise reducing materials, its all about choosing low-noise components.

Most good PSUs have an almost entirely inaudible fan. 

Turning down the power limit on your gpu to about 80% will give you about the same performance. adjust the fan curve too. 

Use a bequiet cpu cooler, theyre great. 

turn down the case fan speed and/or get silent fans

?‍♂️wow

Let me clarify myself. My use case for where I need the silence doesn't load GPU and in gaming the 2060 is quiet enough.

I do know how to tinker with my PC's. Though if you know what model beats the noctua's NH-D15 equipped with a single fan at lowest rpm, please do advice.

I'm simply asking for case options, mostly. I WILL bother with insulating materials since I absolutely despise all things buzzing.

<Build Log>

9 hours ago, Dubba said:

I know R6 is an upgrade to my current R4 in terms of airflow, but could you please tell me if there's anything even more silent or equivalent with exceptionally better airflow.

Airflow and Silence are on two different end of the spectrum. As you get more airflow, you have more potential for noise to leak through (not talking about fan noise, you can tune that with fan curves or better fans. I'm referring to things like coil whine from a PSU or GPU, pump noises, anything higher pitch)

IMO fractal has always done a good job of striking the balance between decent/good airflow and good noise isolation. be quiet! makes some of the quietest cases around (no surprise given the name) but they tend to suffer thermally (which mans ramping up fans speeds to keep temps down, which means more noise.... you see where I'm going with this)

If you're curious, the Pure Base 600, Dark Base 700 and Silent base 801 are cases you can check out. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

8 hours ago, Dubba said:

I'm simply asking for case options, mostly. I WILL bother with insulating materials since I absolutely despise all things buzzing.

Bequiet and Fractal Design cases often have sound dampening material. 

Watch this video, though. For clarifications (your setup should be fine with as long as you dont need a lot of of airflow like a high wattage machine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6jxiE2GQpY

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Define R6 is very quiet, even the TG version. I use one currently, under a Prime 95 and Furmark full load I can't hear my system over the ambient noise of my office (and that's with my PSU fan locked at 50%, it never comes on normally.)

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

21 hours ago, Dubba said:

I'll be getting the biggest noctua cooler for cpu

Small note, bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 is a quieter cooler, and performs the same as an NH D15

I'll be leaving all the HDD's out of this build

No need IMO, I have my R6 packed with 5 HDDs and they are totally inaudible even when smacked with a stressful load. And I own the TG version, which is a louder case than the non-TG one you want. The loudest component in my build is my optical drive, which is a performance orientated drive meant for BluRay/DVD Ripping. It gets pretty noisy when ripping disks.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Consider a X470 board. They have lesser power requirements, so if you don't want to buy an ultra high end 570 board, you can go for those.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Wow thanks all of you, now this is good info.

Yeah I know silence and airflow are against each other and R4 was somewhat choked when trying to optimize fan setup for minimal noise. I've heard R6 is better with this. Also, funny that R6 is still quite relevant.

I will check out those be quiet! cases, and the cooler too. Thanks for your input people!

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

How did you know I had this on my shopping cart from THIS store!?

1 hour ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

... I have my R6 packed with 5 HDDs and they are totally inaudible even when smacked with a stressful load. ...

I have two HDD's in my R4 at the moment and I cannot stand the noise. I mean, it's a normal hum, they're not broken. The thing is that they don't spin in the exact same speed causing this droney vibrating sound that resonates inside the case and it used to travel through the floor before I did a simple foam insulation raiser. This might sound that I'm crazy, but even the one spinning HDD is too much and I don't believe a HDD can be inaudible, at least before I see it, sorry ? I've had them on auto shutdown for years of course since I usually need to access data from one at a time

Sometimes I'm distracted by my mouse's high pitch whine that they all do, or by the whine some monitors do when you decrease their brightness. So yeah, I may be a bit special on this regard, I work with audio at home when there's no time or budget to go to a proper studio. It's also a hobby of mine

1 hour ago, RGProductions said:

have you considered having your PC in a different physical location?

Yes, I have. And some studios I've worked in have had separate server room which include all the computers and other hardware so the thought has crossed my mind ? I need to move to a more suitable place before that though

<Build Log>

1 hour ago, Dubba said:

How did you know I had this on my shopping cart from THIS store!?

I have two HDD's in my R4 at the moment and I cannot stand the noise. I mean, it's a normal hum, they're not broken. The thing is that they don't spin in the exact same speed causing this droney vibrating sound that resonates inside the case and it used to travel through the floor before I did a simple foam insulation raiser. This might sound that I'm crazy, but even the one spinning HDD is too much and I don't believe a HDD can be inaudible, at least before I see it, sorry

Your location was under your username so I was just using a popular Finnish shop. 

An hdd can't be inaudible but it can be very quiet with good soft mounting. I personally find that >3cm of open cell foam on each side works pretty well. 

They're snug in my Meshify C so I'm making due with foam that's a bit thinner than I'd like. 

Spoiler

Example: Meshify C (left); Phantom (right)

d4ca04b9a9ec7a4b3f1ec29010e97571.jpg

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Though if you know what model beats the noctua's NH-D15 equipped with a single fan at lowest rpm, please do advice.

I heard some people here often say that "Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT" is almost as good as NH-D15 while having a single 1300rpm fan and more quiet and cost less than NH-D15.

Maybe you want to check its specs and reviews. When I read some reviews about Le Grand Macho RT it's surprisingly impressive.

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

17 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

IMO fractal has always done a good job of striking the balance between decent/good airflow and good noise isolation. be quiet! makes some of the quietest cases around (no surprise given the name) but they tend to suffer thermally (which mans ramping up fans speeds to keep temps down, which means more noise.... you see where I'm going with this)

How about Nanoxia Deep Silence series? How good is their noise level?

I see this name in some occasions when I browse the internet looking for cases.

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

1 hour ago, PotatoCanDo! said:

How about Nanoxia Deep Silence series? How good is their noise level?

I see this name in some occasions when I browse the internet looking for cases.

It's pretty similar to the older Fractal Design cases, more silenced focused with a bit less airflow. Especially since they have a crap ton of hard drive cages positioned directly in front of the fans. This is good if you're not running a gaming system and your primary thing you want to keep cool and silent are hard drives, but if you have only one or two hard drives and you're running a 2080ti, you're probably not going to hit the same temperatures you see in reviews...

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

The foam setup is so janky I love it!

I may well get one HDD after all for local sample library etc after all, though I was planning to upgrade my old NAS backup setup to act as a one.

2 hours ago, PotatoCanDo! said:

Maybe you want to check its specs and reviews. When I read some reviews about Le Grand Macho RT it's surprisingly impressive.

Looks pretty good. I'm a bit biased because I still use a Noctua cooler with one of their fans from like ten years ago, got it used with a Q6600 from a guy that smoked inside and the heatsink was gunked up badly. The fan still works impressively quiet and spins up nicely with the highest resistor attached. Maybe I'll have to decide on the RAM modules before this decision ?

btw

20 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

If you're curious, the Pure Base 600, Dark Base 700 and Silent base 801 are cases you can check out. 

Silent Base 801, lé wat, you can flip internals? Nice

<Build Log>

Just now, Dubba said:

Silent Base 801, lé wat, you can flip internals? Nice

Dark base 700, Silent base 801 and dark Base Pro 900 can all be flipped to allow the motherboard to be shown off on the "right" side of the case instead of the left. 

Spoiler

DB700

Image result for dark base 700 inverted

SB801

A68V_131828220520191181YBwz87A5ok.jpg

DBP900

81aTlMRXHdL._SL1500_.jpg

7 hours ago, Dubba said:

I may well get one HDD after all for local sample library etc after all, though I was planning to upgrade my old NAS backup setup to act as a one.

Looks pretty good. I'm a bit biased because I still use a Noctua cooler with one of their fans from like ten years ago, got it used with a Q6600 from a guy that smoked inside and the heatsink was gunked up badly.

The foam helps but the hdd's should also be quiet to begin with. I'm currently using 8TB Reds which are pretty quiet but still slightly noisier than the smaller capacities. 

Have you tried washing the heatsink? You just have to dry it thoroughly afterwards. 

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Have you tried washing the heatsink?

Umm... I've had it for ten years.. Of course I've cleaned it! Bruh :pepehands:

(Can I have like a tag to let people know I'm not a simpleton regardless of my low post number here? :D )

The point of that little story was to say that I trust Noctua's coolers and their fans to work a long time even after being mistreated.

<Build Log>

1 minute ago, Dubba said:

(Can I have like a tag to let people know I'm not a simpleton regardless of my low post number here? :D )

The point of that little story was to say that I trust Noctua's coolers and their fans to work a long time even after being mistreated.

You can change your member title after hitting 100 posts.

I can also attest to their durability. :)