Baby strollers go on the bus LAST!! (public transportation)

kaddle

for the sake of discussion, feel free to discuss your experiences with this topic, or other transportation issues..

so earlier today i took the bus to the mall. usually i don't really get annoyed by much since i like to try to be a balanced person. the things that i can't stand the most are stupid people (not necessarily people with low iq, but people who just do very stupid things on a regular), virtue signalers, hypocrites, and liars.

anyway, so when i was getting on the bus earlier there was a lineup of like 8 people or something. usually i am one of the first few people to get on since i have my change ready, and i know that i won't hold the line up. i also really don't want someone to just walk in ahead of me and then hold up the line for like 2-3 minutes before getting out of the way. this time i did not have my change ready.

i don't mind if i don't get on first, it's just the way that it usually turns out. so right as i got my change ready and was walking to the bus behind someone else, the dumbass comes to a full stop right in front of me. i don't get it, but even though it's annoying for someone to randomly stop like that i didn't really care. so i look around to find a way around this idiot so that i can walk on the bus. as i am looking around i see that everyone else stopped as well, and there is this couple with a large fucking ass baby stroller. then i knew that i was fucked.

let me explain. i know that the average folk somehow got it into their minds that the baby stroller should be let on the bus first. this notion is complete rubbish, and i have never allowed myself to be inconvenienced by this ridiculous nonsense before today. i will explain why it is stupid after i finish the story.

so the dumbass in front of me is literally blocking my way and there is no way around her because a garbage bin and pole are right next to her. so they take their sweet ass time pushing the stroller onto the bus, and from the beginning of this process i had to stand there for over a minute, like i was a stupid fucking idiot, waiting for the stroller and everyone else to get on the bus because the moron in front of me didn't move when she was logically supposed to.

when i finally got on the fucking bus guess what? there were a total of TWO baby strollers on the bus. the amount of space between them might as well have been non existent, almost blocking the entire passageway to get to the back of the bus.

here's the problem. one of the strollers was blocking me from holding onto anything while i was dropping my money into the thing, so if the bus driver was careless and started driving the bus, i would have fell over onto the fucking stroller, most likely killing the baby inside of it. he almost did too. when the bus driver saw that i was falling the fuck over when he started the bus, he just stopped and waited.

then when i was finally walking by the FUCKING strollers, the idiot asshole father didn't even try to the move the stroller more to make more walking room.

"maybe he already moved the stroller as much as was possible beforehand".

yeah, that's why the stroller goes on last, dumbass.

i had the opportunity to test this out at least once before. the most memorable time was when i was at a bus terminal. like 15-20 people in line to get on the bus. when the bus showed up, every idiot stood aside for the stroller to get on the bus first. i took the opportunity to simply walk in front of everyone else to get on the bus and went straight to the back of the bus.

after getting cozy, i watched as the mother struggled to get the baby stroller on the bus, probably also feeling a bit rushed by everyone's gazes behind her, then i also got to watch everyone waddle like dumbass penguins, struggling to walk by the baby stroller without bumping it, or falling on it, risking serious harm to the baby for each person that passes. i was waiting for like 3-4 minutes.

if everyone without a stroller got on the bus first, and then the stroller got on, everything would have been much more smooth. in my region, both priority seating and courtesy seating are mandatory on public transit, so people wouldn't be allowed to take the space that the stroller would need. that would not be an issue. it's not "kind" to let the stroller go on first, because the kindness is already inherent in the courtesy seating rule.

you simply cause unnecessary risk to the baby, as well as wasting more time. from now on whenever you see a stroller going on the bus with you, simply cut the stroller off and walk on first. then at least you don't have to risk tripping, falling onto a baby, and killing it. sorry for all of the swearing. i just never thought that i would become a victim of this horseshit. thinking about it made me burn with fury.

Did you just wrote that?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I'm guessing they let the strollers on first so that they could actually get a proper seat.  Some people don't like to move or get up for strollers, elderly, pregnant, disabled etc...  Though it's been forever since I've taken a bus and I'm ever grateful for it.

Either the bus has a design flaw, or the problem is over exaggerated. 

The buses in my city can easily accommodate a stroller on each side at the front, and leave more than enough room for people to walk past. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

And this is the reason I drive myself. Plus we dont have bus service where I live. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

If you have the time to write this, then your time isn’t that valuable and wasting it doesn’t matter.

yeah... i just woke up. i wrote this when i was very tired and irritable due to me being in the process of fixing my sleeping schedule. i ended up going to bed 4 hours sooner than i wanted, but whatever. i'll try again today. of course, i was also feeling irritable when this situation was actually happening. everything that i typed is how i feel about it, but if i was not irritable then i wouldn't have bothered typing about it, and even if i did i would have been much less aggressive about it.

I find it annoying too, but the bus is for everybody and we just have to manage.  

The only people who really piss me off on public transport are the loud and those who insist on vaping or taking pets (Take that shit elsewhere). 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

And what's wrong with pets? If cleanness is the thing, I've seen more smelly dirty people than such dogs.

I also kinda understand the guy. Some people think they are entitled to shit just because they are old or have a baby. I'd also assume stroller would go in last, otherwise it clogs up the path for everyone else so they can't get to the back of the bus which is stupid. I'm sure it can be arranged to leave 1 seat reserved for the mom in the end. It's what normal communicating people would do. Or how I'd do it.

12 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

And what's wrong with pets? If cleanness is the thing, I've seen more smelly dirty people than such dogs.

I also kinda understand the guy. Some people think they are entitled to shit just because they are old or have a baby. I'd also assume stroller would go in last, otherwise it clogs up the path for everyone else so they can't get to the back of the bus which is stupid. I'm sure it can be arranged to leave 1 seat reserved for the mom in the end. It's what normal communicating people would do. Or how I'd do it.

I personally don't think they are entitled to anything other than the same access to public transport as the rest of us.

As for dogs,  if they were well groomed (didn't cause those of us with asthma allergies grief) or well trained (not a row of teeth raised as a guard dog) then I wouldn't have a problem.  But during peak times they take up space, smell awful or just aren't well trained.   I know there are decent pet owners out there, but they generally have the decency not to try and take a dog on a train/tram. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

I find it annoying too, but the bus is for everybody and we just have to manage.  

The only people who really piss me off on public transport are the loud and those who insist on vaping or taking pets (Take that shit elsewhere). 

Tell you what I learn about a rule or whatever people have here in Wellington, where I'm studying, its that children have to get up for adults, and give them their seat? Makes no sense to me, I'm a perfectly capable adult and don't mind standing for a little kid to take the seat, they probably need it more than I do, but apparently not the way in Wellington. 

For the stroller thing, its being polite to let the stroller on first, but that doesn't mean the stroller guy can't make room for everyone else, they both have allocated seating that should be suitable for them, only decent to be nice to everyone else on the bus, just as they've been nice to you. It is called courtesy seating after all, not priority. 

13 hours ago, Majinhoju said:

I'm guessing they let the strollers on first so that they could actually get a proper seat.  Some people don't like to move or get up for strollers, elderly, pregnant, disabled etc...  Though it's been forever since I've taken a bus and I'm ever grateful for it.

that's not really an issue in my region unless the bus is very packed. there were a lot of people on the bus but not quite enough that it can't be considered packed. in my region, courtesy seating is just as mandatory as priority seating, so as long as the stroller gets on the bus, people need to move for it.

even if everyone gets on before the stroller they still need to leave space for the stroller, and it's only an issue if there is no room for the stroller to get on the bus after everyone else does, in which case, the parent(s) and stroller should get on a different bus or the next bus, because the parent(s) and stroller usually takes up enough space for 4-6 people standing.

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Either the bus has a design flaw, or the problem is over exaggerated. 

The buses in my city can easily accommodate a stroller on each side at the front, and leave more than enough room for people to walk past. 

the benches at the front of the bus are able to be lifted to allow more room for strollers, wheelchairs, etc. even though both strollers were at the front of the bus, neither of the benches were lifted, leaving no space to safely walk by the strollers. i can't remember how many other people were at the front, but the seats at the front only fit 3 each, so it was possible for people to stand and have at least one of the benches lifted.

of course the size of the strollers should also be accounted for. both strollers were big.

Swings and roundabouts, you already had your go at being first now have a bit of respect now that it is someone else's turn to go first.

Pete

5 hours ago, kaddle said:

that's not really an issue in my region unless the bus is very packed. there were a lot of people on the bus but not quite enough that it can't be considered packed. in my region, courtesy seating is just as mandatory as priority seating, so as long as the stroller gets on the bus, people need to move for it.

even if everyone gets on before the stroller they still need to leave space for the stroller, and it's only an issue if there is no room for the stroller to get on the bus after everyone else does, in which case, the parent(s) and stroller should get on a different bus or the next bus, because the parent(s) and stroller usually takes up enough space for 4-6 people standing.

the benches at the front of the bus are able to be lifted to allow more room for strollers, wheelchairs, etc. even though both strollers were at the front of the bus, neither of the benches were lifted, leaving no space to safely walk by the strollers. i can't remember how many other people were at the front, but the seats at the front only fit 3 each, so it was possible for people to stand and have at least one of the benches lifted.

of course the size of the strollers should also be accounted for. both strollers were big.

In a situation like that, the bus driver (or someone nearby) should help the parent raise the seat. Some new parents might not know the seats raise, or might not know how to operate the mechanism (and would feel embarrassed at fumbling with a release latch they don't understand).

And frankly, if you have to, politely ask the parents to raise the seat so people can move past.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)