Have you ever seriously damaged your phone?

poochyena

Have you ever seriously damaged your phone?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Have you seriously damaged your phone in the past 5 years?

• Yes, and I use a phone case
    • Yes, and I don't use a phone case
    • No, and I use a phone case
    • No, and I don't use a phone case

In the last five years? No.

I have seriously damaged my phone twice – cracked the screen of W950 and damaged the screen of W705 when trying to replace ribbon connector.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

-snip-

Sample size is too small to draw any valid conclusions. Also, cases aren't likely to protect from liquid damage.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

had a case and all that, forgot it was in my pocket when I jumped out of a boat to grab a dumbass tourist who couldn't swim. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

No, my phone isn't broken (yet). Interestingly enough, I'm the only person in my family whose phone is not yet broken ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .
It's still going on strong for 5 years, but sometimes it overheats like popcorn and that heat may or may not wipe my SD card clean (ok, it wiped my card at least 10 times).
And sometimes, it will ghost touch for a month then suddenly disappears.

(Kinda makes me want to throw this away) I still love it nonetheless. :D

I'm greatly above potato, but I'm getting there...

Midrange Potato LVL 60:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 with Snowman MT-6 Dual Fans (CPU @ 3.8 GHz - 4.375 GHz to 4.5 GHz @ 1.1V - 1.35V),

MOBO: MSI B550-A Pro
GPU: Asrock RX 5600 XT Phantom Gaming D3 (1820MHz core @930mV)

RAM: TeamGroup T-Force Delta DDR4 Gaming 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz 16-17-17-37-58 @ 1.35V,

HARD DRIVE: WD 1TB Blue 
SSD: Toshiba XG5 Series NVMe 512GB (KXG50GVN512G) & Crucial MX500 1TB

CASE: DeepCool Kendomen Titanium case
PSU: Corsair RM-750 (2019) 80+ Gold

Display: Asus VP249QGR via HDMI (144Hz)

Keyboard: Generic PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse: Generic Honeycomb 250Hz Mouse
Speakers: Generic Headset

And yes, there are now fans. 5 Arctic P12 PST's

Userbenchmark Run: 
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25234338 I don't trust that site anymore

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm not statistician so I could be totally messing up this analysis but it seems like this is a pretty strong case against the usefulness of cases:

(...) so it's not like this result means that adding a case doesn't protect you more vs the control, but it is interesting.

I disagree, the poll options are bad:
I seriously damaged my phone in the last 5 years, I am using a phone case, and I voted this way, so what's the problem?  I didn't use the case when the phone got damaged.

Some cases increase likelihood of damage because they're slippery and don't protect well. The other important thing is a screen protector which this poll ignores.

But I agree with the opinion that people know how likely they are to damage their devices, thus more 'dangerous' users tend to use cases more often.

I've dropped my phones more often than I can be bothered to remember, but as a point of reference:

My younger siblings never got hand-me-down tech from me, since I use it till it breaks and then bin it :P

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

I've never broken my screen... 2 other people have broken my screens in the last 3/4 years, including my sister absolutely annihilating the screen on a phone I had lent her (it was an old one, so I didn't actually care, just pretty spectacular considering the amount of times i had dropped that on concrete & the road with no damage to the screen). On another, a friend cracked the touchscreen when I was on holiday, but he got some decent pictures of stuff before he managed to do this and it was probably partially my own fault for dicking about on the dune buggy enough that it got knocked against the metal roll cage. I also on another holiday later over a year later (same phone once I got the screen replaced) took it in the sea & pool too much & too deep and it died, but was wanting a replacement anyway. :)

I can't be arsed using a case ever, and don't use screen protectors, but normally manage to drop a new phone in the first week I have it, if I am going to drop it at all. Only damage has ever been minor scratches.

About 8 years ago i had a ZTE X850, it was my very first Android device.

I broke it out of stupidity, it was pretty slow and one day i got angry at it and pressed the screen with all my might, which obviously broke it, and with nobody selling X850 parts it was permanently dead.

Since then i never broke another phone display, i did drop most phones i had but none broke significantly.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

• 2 weeks later...

Technically yes but it was mostly just poor phone design. I had a Motorola razr that got ran over by a tracker, went through the washer and dryer, dropped, thrown and God knows what else and was perfectly fine. The thing that killed it was the software itself lol. 

My old Blackberry Pearl flip had a cracked screen, though from no fault on my part as the plastics were falling off due to wear, leaving the fragile lcd exposed, which later cracked from the phone closing on a coin in my pocket.

Also, my old digital cameras (a Kyocera Finecam and an Aiptek) were victims to cracked screens, the Kyocera taking the weight of a backpack full of books, and the Aiptek was in Dad's backpack when he went down on a dirt bike. Ironically, the cameras were in a case at the time of their respective incidents. Learning from said experiences, my camera bag has some thick foam ( >1") I sewed to the sides to protect my Canon G7X mkII.

Never broken a device in the past 10 years though.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Had it fall off my lap when I got out of a car. No joke did not find it until 6 months later. It had been stuck in the mud and ran the fuck over multiple times. After I found it, checked the SD card and it still worked. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.