Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ithanul

BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php)聽

2. Open BOINC and聽click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running.聽

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already聽(https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley聽if you need assistance.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Maybe I'm blacklisted or something. Earlier this morning I noticed it was having trouble giving out enough jobs to my systems, I do have a lot on a single account.

Nah I had a talk with your firewall admins and sent them a custom IPS regex just for you 馃榾

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gorgon said:

Nah I had a talk with your firewall admins and sent them a custom IPS regex just for you 馃榾

Firewall rule changes only happen after 4:30pm so I'm good till then聽馃檪

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, leadeater said:

Firewall rule changes only happen after 4:30pm so I'm good till then聽馃檪

That must lead for lots of overtime for the firewall team unless they have a night shift. If they do I hope they have at least one tier-2 person on it.

We just let them rip during the day except for a few things we do after hours.

They're talking about doing the scheduled change thing at work and if they do I'll probably take early retirement. Have to take 3 laptops home to work from home. Idiots in Security Architecture don't understand virtualization.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gorgon said:

That must lead for lots of overtime for the firewall team unless they have a night shift. If they do I hope they have at least one tier-2 person on it.

It's just the push from Fortimanager, updates can happen any time just the push itself is after 4:30pm

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've killed Einstein and gone back to folding. I leave the Xeon running 7 threads on WCG for the Marathon and I have the two extra threads on each folding rigs running WCG but I'll have to keep an eye on that and make sure it doesn't impact folding too much but so far so good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, leadeater said:

It's just the push from Fortimanager, updates can happen any time just the push itself is after 4:30pm

I know how that's supposed to happen but the reality is it can break shit left right & centre and it's better to have someone on-site to roll back that to try to figure it out the next morning with a line up at your door and insufficient caffeine. Different strokes ...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm letting my last Einstein process finish because I do like Pulsars :P聽Beyond that all further tasks have been removed. All CPU's will be doing WCG.

Btw is there any way of getting a progress bar or even a simple % of the task at hand for Linux Command? Because seeing it would be nice. If not it's fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

I'm letting my last Einstein process finish because I do like Pulsars :P聽Beyond that all further tasks have been removed. All CPU's will be doing WCG.

Btw is there any way of getting a progress bar or even a simple % of the task at hand for Linux Command? Because seeing it would be nice. If not it's fine.

We should get this stuff worked out ahead of time next year.

Point boinc-manager at it from Windows. That way it might be quieter.

Following: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Controlling_BOINC_remotely

edited /etc/boinc-client/remote_hosts.cfg adding <IP of Monitoring Station>
service boinc-client restart
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gorgon said:

I know how that's supposed to happen but the reality is it can break shit left right & centre and it's better to have someone on-site to roll back that to try to figure it out the next morning with a line up at your door and insufficient caffeine. Different strokes ...

They are, the push is done at that time. I'm not even sure you can schedule it, without using API. We do it at that time because the firewalls are between server segments/subnets and it does reset sessions as it has in the past caused problems so during the day firewall changes is a hard no (even though it's not every time).

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

We should get this stuff worked out ahead of time next year.

Point boinc-manager at it from Windows. That way it might be quieter.


Following: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Controlling_BOINC_remotely

edited /etc/boinc-client/remote_hosts.cfg adding <IP of Monitoring Station>
service boinc-client restart

image.png.c2d54d11cad18a4074eda24efa2e6e4c.png

Oneeternitylater.jpg

Yea... I did a password my location was the one mentioned on the web page for the newer version. I'm not overly all worried, I find it annoying I can't see the progress threw a non-gui interface, esp since the one they give seems to have it in for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

We should get this stuff worked out ahead of time next year.

Way ahead of you. Plan to test a series of Linux distros both CLI & GUI then with virtualization I will be a bunkering god, lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

So these LHC WU seems to give stuff all credit, anyone know if the ones that use Virtual Box give much more?

The work I've done hasn't shown any points yet but I can say from doing VM jobs in the past they take like 8hrs or more to complete and I think they only drop a few 1,000 or less per 8hr+ job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

The work I've done hasn't shown any points yet but I can say from doing VM jobs in the past they take like 8hrs or more to complete and I think they only drop a few 1,000 or less per 8hr+ job.

Might not be so bad on my big server, I'm concerned it's going to waste and would be better served on WCG since it gets huge output on that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Might not be so bad on my big server, I'm concerned it's going to waste and would be better served on WCG since it gets huge output on that.

You have enough servers you could divy up the resources across multiple projects. We want to keep pressure on the marathon so if you think your bigger server would be better suited there I say go for it. Take a couple of the smaller ones and put them on LHC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You have enough servers you could divy up the resources across multiple projects. We want to keep pressure on the marathon so if you think your bigger server would be better suited there I say go for it. Take a couple of the smaller ones and put them on LHC.

I have all but 1 on LHC, from what I know. Managing this many is actually not easy lol. I need to build out some scripts for next year, be much easier. Also should do an instance per project, minimum.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I have all but 1 on LHC, from what I know. Managing this many is actually not easy lol. I need to build out some scripts for next year, be much easier. Also should do an instance per project, minimum.

If that many machines are on LHC I'd put the big one back on Marathon. Gotta keep some pressure going there. I have ideas for next year but I'll need to go over them in practice first.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If that many machines are on LHC I'd put the big one back on Marathon. Gotta keep some pressure going there. I have ideas for next year but I'll need to go over them in practice first.

I WAS hoping to have an extremely good showing in LHC but..... this is not looking good. I have heaps of pending validation tasks and score just jumped up on the LHC website by 4k-5k so might leave it a few hours to see how it's going. If it's still looking like we're going to be destroyed in LHC I'll focus more on WCG again since I know we can pass AF on that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I WAS hoping to have an extremely good showing in LHC but..... this is not looking good. I have heaps of pending validation tasks and score just jumped up on the LHC website by 4k-5k so might leave it a few hours to see how it's going. If it's still looking like we're going to be destroyed in LHC I'll focus more on WCG again since I know we can pass AF on that.

Going though the task list on the website I have a mass of pending validation tasks too. Explains why I have no credit yet. I'll find out probably tomorrow how much it's worth.

I would expect though if it's this hard for us it's just as hard for everyone else meaning it doesn't matter weather we continue to pressure LHC or go back to ZIKA. However I think LHC has jobs that take advantage of GPU acceleration so if teams get on that we might be hooped in which case going back to marathon would be our better bet.

I say check our placement for LHC tomorrow and if we're getting destroyed then maybe fall back on Marathon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I would expect though if it's this hard for us it's just as hard for everyone else meaning it doesn't matter weather we continue to pressure LHC or go back to ZIKA

I was looking at other teams current total and hourly average and some are, like AF, 20 times ours.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I was looking at other teams current total and hourly average and some are, like AF, 20 times ours.

I'm pretty sure there are some LHC jobs that can use GPU so there's no direct way to combat聽that with our CPU's. If LHC is that much of a lost cause we'll have to fallback.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted Original PosterOP
4 hours ago, Gorgon said:

Well this is a stupid competition IMHO. Just finishing Einstein on my GPUs and over 1/2 the WUs submitted are still "pending" and haven't been validated yet. Most of those have been submitted for at least 24 hours so their double validation is obviously broken in general or specifically due to the volume from the competition and people bunkering.

Yeah, no clue why folks voted for a quorum 2 project.聽 :I

3 hours ago, Gorgon said:

I know how that's supposed to happen but the reality is it can break shit left right & centre and it's better to have someone on-site to roll back that to try to figure it out the next morning with a line up at your door and insufficient caffeine. Different strokes ...

Yep, we do that where we work.聽 Any OS updates are聽after everyone is off the system and we stay till it is installed and tested.聽 Sometimes wind up with a 12 to 16 hour shift if聽something ain't playing right.

Going to be o so fun in the next months again.聽 Another OS update for us.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

I have all but 1 on LHC, from what I know. Managing this many is actually not easy lol. I need to build out some scripts for next year, be much easier. Also should do an instance per project, minimum.

Yeah, I may聽play around with making some scripts as well when I do some testing after the event.

Edit:聽 Crap my brain doing word switching again.聽 Gah.


Just a nutty gal that abuse hardware with F@H and BOINC.

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 4690K Delid, E5-2670V3, 1900X, 1950X, 5960X J Batch

My GPU Army:960 FTW at 1551MHz, 1080Ti FTW3, 1080Ti SC, 1070 Hybrid, 2x Titan XP

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad 9.7" (2018 model), Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Yeah, I make play around with making some scripts as well when I do some testing after the event.

Hoping to get rather fancy with them and put things in like target credits, auto bunkering after credits met, project/instance switching. Dunno, plenty of time to go crazy. Certainly would be very easy if you can just put in daily targets per project, project start and stop dates etc and it just takes care of itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted Original PosterOP
Just now, leadeater said:

Hoping to get rather fancy with them and put things in like target credits, auto bunkering after credits met, project/instance switching. Dunno, plenty of time to go crazy. Certainly would be very easy if you can just put in daily targets per project, project start and stop dates etc and it just takes care of itself.

O darn, that sounds nice.聽 I be down to seeing that and/or helping.

I really need to get better at scripting.聽 Still a newbie at it.聽 Only been at my current job for one year so far.


Just a nutty gal that abuse hardware with F@H and BOINC.

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 4690K Delid, E5-2670V3, 1900X, 1950X, 5960X J Batch

My GPU Army:960 FTW at 1551MHz, 1080Ti FTW3, 1080Ti SC, 1070 Hybrid, 2x Titan XP

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad 9.7" (2018 model), Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now