Linus Tech Tips Notifier for Firefox (EOL)

Upcoming features:

There are no new features planned for this extension - it is getting bug fixes only for the foreseeable future.

Known Issues:

None

Please report any issues in the thread below (preferably) or by PM. It helps if you include firefox version (≡ → ? → about firefox) or the debugging information provided by the addon

HTTP/2 203

Change Log:

v1.3.2: Released as of 9th July 2016

• Added a workaround for a Firefox bug that would cause the addon to make loads of requests to the forum at once, which isn't good for the forum and can cause the browser to hang
  • Fixed some bugs to do with selecting the correct content for notifications.
  • Removed amazon affiliate code injection features
  • Made the addon compatible with upcoming Twitch API changes

v1.3.0: Released as of 12th March 2016

• Added support for the new forum software

Spoiler

v1.2.2: Released as of 24th July 2015

Bug FIxes:

• Fixed an issue where sounds could not be disabled on a per-type basis
  • Fixed an issue where the addon doesn't function correctly when used along side the HTTPS Fixer script
  • Most links to the forum should now load over HTTPS rather than HTTP (the notable exception is notifications at the moment).

v1.2.1: Released as of 31st May 2015

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed an issue affecting some users after updating to the previous version where the addon would check for new forum content far less frequently than expected
  • Fixed an issue that was preventing users from changing the frequency that the addon checks for new forum content, as well as some of the other settings
  • Fixed an issue that was generating a large volume of errors when the forum was down
  • Fixed a severe memory leak that occurred when the forum was down
  • The addon's icon and badge colour should now reset to the correct versions straight away after the forum has been down
  • Fixed an issue that was causing the "open in existing LTT tab" feature to sometimes fail silently

v1.2.0.1-signed: Released as of the 28th May 2015
There are no changes in this update except that the addon has now been digitally signed to allow it to support Firefox 41+.
IMPORTANT NOTE: After updating to this version, some users may experience a significant decrease in the frequency that this addon checks for new content on the forum. This issue can be resolved by updating to the next version, v1.2.1

v1.2.0: Released as of the 27th May 2015

• Changed the way that the button works to implement support for Firefox 40+. NOTE: This drops support for all versions of Firefox prior to 36.
  • Changed the button icon to match the forum's new branding.
  • Allowed you to change the update frequency to 10 seconds, down from a cap of 60 seconds before. The default remains unchanged at every 60 seconds.

v1.1.4: Released as of the 8th April 2015

• Fixed a bug which was preventing marking notifications as read from working
  • Worked around a bug which was generating a large number of errors sometimes (the addon still worked fine)

v1.1.3: Released as of the 18th January 2015

• Fixed a potential bug that may have been causing notifications to be displayed in error
  • Reduced the width of the auto mark read dropdown menu so that it fits on the screen when using Ubuntu and other operating systems that use a different font
  • When clicked, YouTube notifications now open the correct video
  • Twitch notifications will now function correctly
  • Other minor bug fixes

v1.1.1 & v1.1.2: Released on the 28th December 2014

• Fixed a minor potential security flaw

v1.1.0: Awaiting review as of 24th December 2014
Added:

• Support for Channel Superfun and TechQuickie
  • Support for Amazon affiliate code injection (this will make no difference to you, but will allow LinusMediaGroup to get a small amount of the money)
  • A script that will update the number of notifications and PMs shown on the forum whenever it changes (no need to refresh)
  • Support for automatically marking notifications read when you click the first/last/any notification
  • You can now set how often the addon checks for updates to YouTube and Twitch
  • Support for the LTT API (reduces the bandwidth used by the addon)

Changed:

• Completely new user interface design, credit to @AMorassOfPixelz for the base design
  • 50 notifications can now be viewed without having to leave the addon
  • Improved the debug data, so it's now one click to copy all relevant data

Fixed:

• YouTube should work (better) now, with the most recent videos actually showing up in the UI
  • Audio priority should now work
  • Work around for a Firefox bug that was causing notifications not to correctly show up
  • A number of other small bugs

Note: This drops support for FF21-25.
The next major version will drop support for all Firefox versions under 36, but I will only release that when it has been in the release channel for a while.

v1.0.2: Awaiting review as of 10th May 2014 Released (14th May 2014)

• Fixed minor, non-user-visible issues that caused the addon to be rejected by mozilla
  • Fixed an issue where YouTube videos would not always show in the correct order
  • Added another check to ensure that LTT is up due to yet another undetected error page

v1.0.1: Awaiting review as of 29th April 2014 review failed due to minor issues.

• Fixed issues with Twitch:
    • Notifications would be pushed every two minutes - now they are only pushed when they start or stop streaming
    • Turning Twitch off while they are still streaming will now change the icon back to the normal icon
  • Fixed an issue on Firefox 32.0a1 where the font in the UI was incorrectly sized, which created loads of issues

v1.0: Awaiting Review as of 7th April 2014 review cancelled because the version has been superseded by v1.0.1
This is a major release

ADDED:

• YouTube support - notifications, sounds, and information within the addon
  • View your latest notifications and messages within the addon, and click them to go straight to the post or thread
  • Loads and loads and loads of new settings
  • Debugging tools to make identifying issues a bit easier. Hopefully they won't be necessary

CHANGED:

• Completely new and redesigned User Interface from the ground up
  • Rewritten much of the backend code for performance and reliability
  • Reduced the frequency that twitch is polled from every minute to every two minutes

FIXED:

• Twitch should actually work this time

v0.2.2beta: 06/02/2014

• Fixed an issue where new users would not be able to use the addon because settings were not being initialised. This will not affect existing users.

v0.2.1beta: 28/01/2014

• Removed custom user badges in accordance with forum rules

v0.2.0beta: 27/01/2014

FIXED:

• Users should no longer get notifications that a user is streaming even when they're not due to a Twitch API error
  • Icon text should be white rather than grey or black on firefox 26 and earlier
  • Message icon should now hide if user has no more unread messages

ADDED:

• Addon icon will now change to twitch icon when user starts streaming
  • Notification sound will play when user starts streaming
  • Twitch desktop notifications will now have an icon
  • Code is injected into ltt, which adds a badge to the developer of the Firefox and Chrome versions of the addon. It will also have more features in future, but they don't work yet

CHANGED:

• Back end code tweaks

v0.1.1beta: (HOTFIX) 24/01/2014

• Prevented multiple twitch notifications being displayed for the same stream

v0.1.0beta: 24/01/2014

• First public release

KEY:
Awaiting review means that the addon has been submitted to Mozilla for full review. Assuming it passes, it should be available within two weeks or so (depending on the number of addons awaiting review). You can manually update by going to the addons page and going to the versions section, although this is not really advisable.
Released means that the version of the addon has been out for at least 48 hours, and most users should have automatically updated.

HTTP/2 203

I'll beta test

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

AWESOME!! I would be more than willing to test it out as I've been waiting for this for quite awhile now.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

I want!

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

IM SO EXCITED

NWq5WIq.gif

oh jeez...I laughed harder than I should have at that gif.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

This is cool, I dont currently use firefox but many people do so its great that they will get the support.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I kind of feel sorry for you having to read through my mess porting this, haha!

Will be interesting to see what you'll add to this version, I want to port over some new functions to the Chrome version if you come up with something awesome!  :ph34r:

Cheers,

Linus

I kind of feel sorry for you having to read through my mess porting this, haha!

Will be interesting to see what you'll add to this version, I want to port over some new functions to the Chrome version if you come up with something awesome!  :ph34r:

There isn't much new yet, although I intend at some point to add clickable notifications etc. Right now, this twitch thing is really getting on my nerves :( It's nearly working though (famous last words :D))

HTTP/2 203

There isn't much new yet, although I intend at some point to add clickable notifications etc. Right now, this twitch thing is really getting on my nerves :( It's nearly working though (famous last words :D))

Haha, don't give up! I'm pretty sure you're better than me at this, but feel free to open up discussions for implementations or new features with moi in case you feel like that'd be helpful.

Cheers, and keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Linus

Haha, don't give up! I'm pretty sure you're better than me at this, but feel free to open up discussions for implementations or new features with moi in case you feel like that'd be helpful.

Cheers, and keep up the good work!

interesting having 2 people working on this both with there own ideas 

Aselwyn1

THANK YOU!

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

May I join in.

Also if you don't mind me, I would like to look through the stuff running the addon...I have always been curious about Firefox addons and never really bothered to look at one :P

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

May I join in.

Also if you don't mind me, I would like to look through the stuff running the addon...I have always been curious about Firefox addons and never really bothered to look at one :P

Feel free. I will be licensing it under creative commons attribution, and all the source code is available when you get the addon in your firefox profile at
%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<normally called *.default>\extensions\jid1-23jjnBCWPFQ3ag@jetpack.xpi
and you can extract is using 7zip, winzip or any other archive tool, or by renaming it to a .zip and opening it with windows explorer.

It should be out by the end of the weekend unless something goes wrong :D

HTTP/2 203

Feel free. I will be licensing it under creative commons attribution, and all the source code is available when you get the addon in your firefox profile at

%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<normally called *.default>\extensions\jid1-23jjnBCWPFQ3ag@jetpack.xpi
and you can extract is using 7zip, winzip or any other archive tool, or by renaming it to a .zip and opening it with windows explorer.

It should be out by the weekend unless something goes wrong :D

Thanks for the help :D

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

It should be out by the weekend unless something goes wrong :D

Mhm, keep changing dem dates... Just joking, take as long as you need. :P

Wait, where do you sign up?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Mhm, keep changing dem dates... Just joking, take as long as you need. :P

Changed them again :D I'm going to need all Friday so Sunday should be a good latest date. I just can't tell how long the broken stuff will take to fix unfortunately. It is fairly functional now though so nearly ready.

HTTP/2 203

You just have :D

Ahh... I see what you did there. Just I was expecting a link or something. Probably should clarify that for slow people like me.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler