Apple May Not Have 5G Phone Until 2021

On 4/5/2019 at 1:49 PM, mr moose said:

5G has been available in Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Canberra, Brisbane, Perth, towoomba and the goldcoast (187 sites) since last year.

We are waiting for phones to come out so we can use the system. 

https://www.telstra.com.au/aboutus/media/media-releases/Telstra_launches_first_5G_Melbourne_and_Sydney_sites

A whole ~14 million people, such a huge market for phone companies to worry about... when California alone is 40 million

7 hours ago, kirashi said:

Exactly my thoughts :D AT&T's 5G is most definitely NOT REAL 5G despite them being very shady about marketing it this way.

Huh, weird, I'd have thought AUS would be in the same boat as Canada regarding cellular upgrades, but this is good to know, although it means nothing if you don't live in a metropolitan area. The irony here is that AUS is so far behind on wireline broadband (aka the network "upgrade" that is NBN) it's not funny.

Australia tends to lead the way with implementation of new tech.  The NBN when you consider everything, was doomed to it's fate from the get go, however it is still very good system and is already setting us aside from the rest of the world (except NZ which has an even better system) with regard to consumer options. 

1 hour ago, Eaglerino said:

A whole ~14 million people, such a huge market for phone companies to worry about... when California alone is 40 million

That's my point, what's the excuse for not having it already rolled out in the US if Telstra (a company that everyone loves to shit on at any chance) has already got it working in more cities than you have active sites with next to no consumers paying for it yet?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

That's my point, what's the excuse for not having it already rolled out in the US if Telstra (a company that everyone loves to shit on at any chance) has already got it working in more cities than you have active sites with next to no consumers paying for it yet?

Personal Belief: When all you want to do is fight the FCC, 1. Lawyers are expensive. 2. You forget about doing what you should have been doing in the first place because you're so focused and determined to fight the FCC. ...cuz priorities.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

Australia tends to lead the way with implementation of new tech.  The NBN when you consider everything, was doomed to it's fate from the get go, however it is still very good system and is already setting us aside from the rest of the world (except NZ which has an even better system) with regard to consumer options. 

Completely disagree, what new tech do we ever implement first other than mobile broadband technologies? We have 5G trial sites yes, but what's the point of having super fast mobile broadband? The 4G LTE+ or whatever bullcrap we call it here already reaches up to 1Gbps, that's plenty fast considering the average data cap is 10GB~.

1 hour ago, schwellmo92 said:

The 4G LTE+ or whatever bullcrap we call it here already reaches up to 1Gbps, that's plenty fast considering the average data cap is 10GB~.

Does anyone actually get 1 Gbps speeds though?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

5 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

Completely disagree, what new tech do we ever implement first other than mobile broadband technologies? We have 5G trial sites yes, but what's the point of having super fast mobile broadband? The 4G LTE+ or whatever bullcrap we call it here already reaches up to 1Gbps, that's plenty fast considering the average data cap is 10GB~.

Not just mobile tech.

Australia is actually leading the way on the science and research front.  Our industries are always updating and using the latest technologies widely before most other countries (1st world that is).  We adopted chip and pin earlier, we adopted contactless payment via both phone and a wireless sticker you put on the back of your phone (for people without NFC), we were the first with the black box flight recorder, the first cochlear implant, pace maker and ultrasound.  Not too mention going into 2000 we had one of the highest rates of internet access.  We now have a truly competitive internet infrastructure that is not controlled by the ISP's which gives all NBN users the choice of 150 different services providers. 

This is what a US company that specializes in student education is saying about Australia:

https://www.internationalstudent.com/study_australia/why_study_australia/technology/

Believe it or not we are actually well advanced and usually are first to implement new tech.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

16 hours ago, knightslugger said:

Does anyone actually get 1 Gbps speeds though?

Not really, I get 200Mbps~ usually, which is still plenty on a mobile device.

what kind of news is that!?

apple is always many years behind, (wireless/ fast charge / NFC/ multicores/ larger screen etc)

12 hours ago, mr moose said:

Australia is actually leading the way on the science and research front.  Our industries are always updating and using the latest technologies widely before most other countries (1st world that is).  We adopted chip and pin earlier, we adopted contactless payment via both phone and a wireless sticker you put on the back of your phone (for people without NFC), we were the first with the black box flight recorder, the first cochlear implant, pace maker and ultrasound.  Not too mention going into 2000 we had one of the highest rates of internet access.  We now have a truly competitive internet infrastructure that is not controlled by the ISP's which gives all NBN users the choice of 150 different services providers. 

Most of those are stretching the truth and some are just downright wrong. I’m on my phone at the moment so cba writing a nicely formatted reply with citations. You’re not going to convince me that we’re on the bleeding edge, we have very few technologies that we have pioneered/invented in relation to other countries contributions, Australia is very far behind IMO.

18 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

The 4G LTE+ or whatever bullcrap we call it here already reaches up to 1Gbps

Maybe in a non congested area but most days at home I can maybe get 25/12 service from T Mobile. At one time in Canton MI, I was able to get 90 Mbps down. So Id say LTE needs more work. When they can supply 100/10, Ill be happy. Plus I think 5G help with capacity issues and such, so its not just a speed increase. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

48 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Maybe in a non congested area but most days at home I can maybe get 25/12 service from T Mobile. At one time in Canton MI, I was able to get 90 Mbps down. So Id say LTE needs more work. When they can supply 100/10, Ill be happy. Plus I think 5G help with capacity issues and such, so its not just a speed increase. 

You're completely missing the context of us talking about Australia.

14 hours ago, mr moose said:

Australia is actually leading the way on the science and research front.  Our industries are always updating and using the latest technologies widely before most other countries

Those two things aren’t related.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

10 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

Most of those are stretching the truth and some are just downright wrong. I’m on my phone at the moment so cba writing a nicely formatted reply with citations. You’re not going to convince me that we’re on the bleeding edge, we have very few technologies that we have pioneered/invented in relation to other countries contributions, Australia is very far behind IMO.

Believe whatever you want.

8 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Those two things aren’t related.

What two things?

This may no longer be an issue for Apple as according to this article on Engadget a source has stated that Huawei may be open to selling it's Balong 5000 5G modems to Apple, and only Apple. Although no official talks have occurred that we know of, it is thought that Huawei may be offering modems to only Apple as it doesn't see it as a direct competitor as the iPhone is not running Android. It will be interesting to see how this pans out, if at all. Will Apple even entertain the idea? Will the US government get involved and block it citing security concerns. This could get interesting...lol

A source with knowledge of the situation has confirmed to Engadget that Huawei is now "open" to selling its 5G Balong 5000 chipsets, but only to one company: Apple.

Such a deal would be unusual, to say the least. Chip sales aren't exactly Huawei's forte, and a company representative said earlier this year in China that Huawei "Balong is mainly for supporting Huawei's smart products, such as phones and IoT products, and is currently for Huawei's internal use only."

For Huawei — a company that's gunning to become the world's largest smartphone maker in 2020 — offering 5G as an olive branch to one of its biggest rivals is surprising. At this point, though, it's unclear whether the companies have engaged in any conversations — neither Huawei nor Apple has responded to requests for comment at time of publication.

Huawei's surprising change of heart only really matters because Apple appears to be in a tough spot with its sole modem supplier, Intel. The chipmaker provides the wireless modems that go into all iPhones and iPads, and it said late last year that its 5G-ready XMM 8160 modems would be available for its customers in the second half of 2019.

A recent report from Fast Company, however, cites an anonymous source who claims that Apple has "lost confidence" in Intel after the chipmaker failed to meet certain development deadlines. (When asked for comment, an Intel spokesperson simply said the company "plans to support customer-device launches in 2020 with its XMM 8160 5G multimode modem.")

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

What two things?

Adoption rate and contribution.

Just because Australia is foolishly quick to adopt new tech does not mean they're contributing more to it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

On 4/5/2019 at 11:52 PM, floofer said:

A processor doesn’t make a phone 

Neither does a modem. Apple still has the best facial recognition tech on the market and it took years before companies caught up to TouchID. No one ever has all the best, most advanced, tech in their flagship phones. There is always something that someone else has that is better or more advanced.

50 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Adoption rate and contribution.

Just because Australia is foolishly quick to adopt new tech does not mean they're contributing more to it.

Not sure why you think that, We are doing both without much issue.

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

We are doing both without much issue.

You're really just adopting early tech.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

24 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Neither does a modem. Apple still has the best facial recognition tech on the market and it took years before companies caught up to TouchID. No one ever has all the best, most advanced, tech in their flagship phones. There is always something that someone else has that is better or more advanced.

Authentication doesn’t make a phone either. It’s the user experience. No one cares about 5G adoption until they can access it. That’s probably around 2021 anyway.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

You're really just adopting early tech.

That's what I said. 

To be honest I am not sure what you are trying to say.