Retesting a Seasonic X-750 750W PSU 10 Years Later

One of our readers' favorite PSU topics has been when we look back at a previously reviewed PSU that has been in service for a long while, and whether or not that PSU will still meet ATX spec and handle its previously rated wattage load. Today we have a Seasonic PSU that has been in service for a decade. As people do often reuse power supplies through multiple builds over multiple years, we have often been asked the question, "What happens to a power supply after you have been using it for an extended period of time and how does it perform relative to when it was new?" In partial answer to that question, we reevaluated the SilverStone Olympia 1000W back in March of 2015 after that unit had been in service for 7 years and the results were interesting. We also reevaluated the CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 100W in March of 2018 after that unit had been in service for 10 years.

What we DO have for you is another data point as we take a second look at the Seasonic X-750 (SS-750KM) power supply that we first reviewed in 2009 that has been running in one of our gaming/work PCs over the last 10 years. In this second look, we will be rerunning all of the load tests that we ran initially on this unit and then comparing how this particular sample performed ~10 years ago, to how it is performing today, after all those years of use.

120v Load Testing Results Initial:

1553548295qo1bxx5k7i_2_1.gif

120v Load Testing Results After 10 Years of Service:

1553548295qo1bxx5k7i_2_2.gif

100v Load Testing Results Initial:

1553548295qo1bxx5k7i_3_1.gif

100v Load Testing Results After 10 Years of Service:

1553548295qo1bxx5k7i_3_2.gif

Torture Test Results Initial:

1553548295qo1bxx5k7i_4_1.gif

Torture Test Results After 10 Years of Service:

1553548295qo1bxx5k7i_4_2.gif

Today, we have had the opportunity to look back at one of the first truly modern power supplies that we reviewed after ~10 years of service with the Seasonic X-750. While this example of that product has seen some changes in performance over the years it has been in service (the voltage regulation has become looser and the efficacy has dropped), this unit has done something neither of the previous units we have re-reviewed were able to do; complete testing in specification. Yes, the Seasonic X-750 did see measurable performance degradation after ~10 years of use. However, unlike those previous examples this unit was still within specifications. Beyond that, if we were to turn back the hands of time to 2009, and saw these same values when reviewing this unit then, these would still be favorable numbers. Overall then, among the three products we have had the opportunity to re-review, the Seasonic X-750 has to stand out as the best quality unit we have seen over the long haul.

Source: https://www.hardocp.com/article/2019/03/28/seasonic_x750_750w_psu_10_year_redux/1

Really glad to see tests like this being done on components that are typically carried through between different systems over an extended period of time. Have a SeaSonic X-Series PSU myself, with only a year on the warranty left - it's comforting to know that more than likely I will be able to reuse it for an extra three years beyond the warranty period, and presumably without any worries; as this review reinforces my confidence with the unit. Finally, this is supposed to be HardOCP's last review, and it's nice to see them going out with a bang with this last enjoyable article.

the 20% voltage regulation is pretty bad rn, but actually good considering its age. My friend has a Core 2 Extreme workstation, with a TX750W that's still alive.

Ahh, I miss the days that you get a 30% increase in performance YOY.

13 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Have a SeaSonic X-Series PSU myself

You can throw it away with high power/end GPU as it doesn't seem to work with KM3 based units.

And that's my criicism:
It should also have been tested with modern High End GPUs, if it works well with that.

And from the last 3 "10 Years Revised" Reviews, only one failed.

ANd why didn't I see something about the Silverstone and IIRC Cooler Master unit??

Hyping a company would be OK, if they deserved it. Seasonic does not! They are totally overrated and your post does not help!

THey still have not fixed the "Mistake" on the Label of the lower Wattage S12II-Bronze, wich states 2 Rails - when they are "true Single Rail" and don't even seem to offer UVP on 12V, let alone OCP on any rail. Also the EVGA GS550/650 and similar can be killed with overload on the minor rails.

So no, Seasonic is not good and the sample size of 1 too small.

In my VEGA Tests, the Seasonic P-660 switched off with the Ryzen System. And rebootet with the i7-3930K...

So far its the only higher wattage unit to do that.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 3/29/2019 at 9:00 PM, Snipergod87 said:

Going to miss HardOCP

What's happened to HardOCP?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

13 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

What's happened to HardOCP?

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2019/03/19/goodbye_hardocp_hello_intel/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 hours ago, Beyonslay said:

I think I'll get an X-850 myself because everyone says it's good

...and a n x080ti with that...

...and wondering why the heck it constantly reboots.

Yeah, great choice!

You seen all the "suddenly reboots" Threads in certain Forums? Where the users happen to have Seasonic PSU...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 3/30/2019 at 9:54 AM, Stefan Payne said:

Hyping a company would be OK, if they deserved it. Seasonic does not! They are totally overrated and your post does not help!

THey still have not fixed the "Mistake" on the Label of the lower Wattage S12II-Bronze, wich states 2 Rails - when they are "true Single Rail" and don't even seem to offer UVP on 12V, let alone OCP on any rail. Also the EVGA GS550/650 and similar can be killed with overload on the minor rails.

So no, Seasonic is not good and the sample size of 1 too small.

In my VEGA Tests, the Seasonic P-660 switched off with the Ryzen System. And rebootet with the i7-3930K...

So far its the only higher wattage unit to do that.

That sounds more like the problem of using only a 600 watt psu with a vega and a HEDT cpu, when a vega at least needs a 600-750w+ psu especially when overclocked or power modded,and Seasonic has one crap power supply it doesn't mean all their products are bad. I have a Seasonic KM3 based AX860,never had it cause a reboot with a newer graphics card.

So does that mean mid-range PSUs haven't improved a bit at all over the past few years?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

9 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

That sounds more like the problem of using only a 600 watt psu with a vega and a HEDT cpu, when a vega at least needs a 600-750w+ psu especially when overclocked or power modded,and Seasonic has one crap power supply it doesn't mean all their products are bad. I have a Seasonic KM3 based AX860,never had it cause a reboot with a newer graphics card.

Some people don't know how to be impartial and critical at the same time.

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

So does that mean mid-range PSUs haven't improved a bit at all over the past few years?

Yes, failure rates for nearly all branded PSU's have dropped and the need for specialized high end PSU's is becoming a thing of the past.   Nowadays even a $80 PSU will run an i7 and Pascal/Turing setup with no problems.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Nowadays even a $80 PSU will run an i7 and Pascal/Turing setup with no problems.

i've seen 20 dollar ones doing that

we call that a corsair cx on sale

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

i've seen 20 dollar ones doing that

we call that a corsair cx on sale

Aussie dollars, you won't get anything half decent for less than $60, but when powering a $1000 GPU and $500 CPU I would spring the extra $20 for the insurance.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Aussie dollars, you won't get anything half decent for less than $60, but when powering a $1000 GPU and $500 CPU I would spring the extra $20 for the insurance.

ah, i was talking us when you have much luck to find one on sale. CX is a good greatwall psu, but with such hardware i would rather pay a little more too, even if it's just for quietness

but that aside... we're derailing

On 3/31/2019 at 3:35 PM, Stefan Payne said:

...and a n x080ti with that...

...and wondering why the heck it constantly reboots.

Yeah, great choice!

You seen all the "suddenly reboots" Threads in certain Forums? Where the users happen to have Seasonic PSU...

I dont know man im running a 1070, used to have dual 770 4GB's, Still running an OCed 4770k