It's Rewind Time - Scientists revert three qubits 'fractions of a second back in time'

rcmaehl
2 minutes ago, BlockedTheShot said:

How long until i can go back in time to prevent lebron getting injured on christmas?

Once we figure out faster than light travel and/or how to create negative mass.

6 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

That's why I asked the question in the first place. It's kind of a dangerous to call it that even if that's the best they can come up with.

I can't wait for the day that disingenuous clickbait like this is a thing of the past and we have real time travel. I look forward to 12 years ago.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

Am I correct to say that the takeaway is that while actual time travel is plausible, it won't be obtainable on a practical scale, at least for a long time?

Just to point out probably the biggest paradox in time travel. If it was to be invented it wouldn't be a matter of time because it would be invented at the same time in every time both in the future and in the past. Some say maybe there's some kind of barrier that prevents travelling to the time before the inventing, but with time travel invented even for travelling just hour or day backwards would mean that people now have unlimited time to develope it and overcome any and every obstacle. Also you can count on that if time travel has been invented we would know about it because humans are humans and it opens so many possibilities that stopping someone from misusing it  would be impossible. So rest asure, this isn't a step towards time travelling, it can be a step towards returning things to their original states like making a spent uranium fuelrod back to usable state or reverse rusting and oxidising without loosing material but even those are very questionable, this might also just turn out to be only the "undo" algorithm for quantum computing.

Pish,  MS have been traveling back in time for a while now,  it all started with restore points.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, BlockedTheShot said:

How long until i can go back in time to prevent lebron getting injured on christmas?

That feeling when you go back in time to prevent LeBron from getting injured but accidentally kill him instead...

6 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Once we figure out faster than light travel and/or how to create negative mass.

theoretical negative mass is one of the trippiest things ever though

15 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

Am I correct to say that the takeaway is that while actual time travel is plausible, it won't be obtainable on a practical scale, at least for a long time?

This is time reversal, not travel. Time travel is impossible.

This would be useful for reducing memory for the undo button.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

11 hours ago, Thaldor said:

Just to point out probably the biggest paradox in time travel. If it was to be invented it wouldn't be a matter of time because it would be invented at the same time in every time both in the future and in the past. Some say maybe there's some kind of barrier that prevents travelling to the time before the inventing, but with time travel invented even for travelling just hour or day backwards would mean that people now have unlimited time to develope it and overcome any and every obstacle. Also you can count on that if time travel has been invented we would know about it because humans are humans and it opens so many possibilities that stopping someone from misusing it  would be impossible. So rest asure, this isn't a step towards time travelling, it can be a step towards returning things to their original states like making a spent uranium fuelrod back to usable state or reverse rusting and oxidising without loosing material but even those are very questionable, this might also just turn out to be only the "undo" algorithm for quantum computing.

Actually from a theoretical point of view it's allready possibble, but with the limit you can't go back further than the point in time the machine was created. Creating it would also be an hilarious difficult engineering challenge as it involves manipulating black holes.Theoretical doable but a less than trivial challenge to put it mildly.