So uhhh, Galaxy S10e or iPhone XR?

AndYoureDead

I know this is a massively debated topic, however I'd really appreciate all of the input I can get. I'm upgrading to one of these phones from an S7 edge, and have decided to consider an iPhone for the first time in years. The XR is slightly more expensive on contract than the S10e, however if it's worth it I'm willing to pay the extra money for it. For the record, I'm not invested into the apple ecosystem at all, but again I'm willing to if the iPhone is best, but there is quite a lack of information surrounding the topic with only a few videos up on YouTube to help my decision. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

That's a really easy question. It just comes down to iOs or Android.

The S10e has better hardware, but really they'll be similar in day to day use.

As for iOs or Android, that's really just personal preference, and something only you can really answer for yourself.

Which one do you like more?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If you want iOS, then get the Xr.

If you want to stick to Android, consider a Samsung S10e (one of the most compact phones right now), but i would wait 1-2 months - Price should be down by 100-150 bucks by then.

Also, consider alternatives. Xiaomi Mi 9 is a very nice device, or even the Xiaomi Mi 8.

Maybe also Oneplus 6T if you really like the OxygenOS Experience.

The only reason you would buy a XR is  if you absolutely need to have iOS. The screen, camera, charging speed, overall design are significantly better on the S10e. I use an s10 currently (switched from iPhone XS) and the iPhones arent even in the same league. If they ran android they would be mid rangers at best. 

If youre anyway at all interested in using android get the S10e, its a vastly better phone

2 hours ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

The only reason you would buy a XR is  if you absolutely need to have iOS. The screen, camera, charging speed, overall design are significantly better on the S10e. I use an s10 currently (switched from iPhone XS) and the iPhones arent even in the same league. If they ran android they would be mid rangers at best. 

If youre anyway at all interested in using android get the S10e, its a vastly better phone

Nah, there's plenty of other reasons.

First... larger screen.  Yeah, the S10e has a higher DPI, but if you're leaning back or just poor-sighted, 6.1 inches is an improvement over 5.8.

Battery life and speaker quality could also be better, although I'd need to dig into comparison pieces on that one.

I'd also note that you have more camera options on the S10e, but they're not always better.  I find that Samsung still produces an oddly cool, over-sharpened picture where Apple seems truer to life, even if that means losing a bit of detail.  Also, the wide-angle cam on the S10 family doesn't have OIS, so it's really only ideal for well-lit photos (i.e. not low light or video).

I'm also wondering how ungainly the S10e's side-mounted fingerprint reader might be.  It's not a massive inconvenience, but I like that the iPhone XR has arguably better biometrics.

And then there's the big one: software policies.  Samsung is still going to be months late on OS updates and drop support after roughly two years, so it's not for anyone who wants the latest OS features or security fixes.  That and Samsung is still notorious for software that bogs down over time  I like using an iPhone knowing that I won't have to factory reset the device just to maintain a responsive UI.

16 hours ago, Commodus said:

Nah, there's plenty of other reasons.

First... larger screen.  Yeah, the S10e has a higher DPI, but if you're leaning back or just poor-sighted, 6.1 inches is an improvement over 5.8.

Battery life and speaker quality could also be better, although I'd need to dig into comparison pieces on that one.

I'd also note that you have more camera options on the S10e, but they're not always better.  I find that Samsung still produces an oddly cool, over-sharpened picture where Apple seems truer to life, even if that means losing a bit of detail.  Also, the wide-angle cam on the S10 family doesn't have OIS, so it's really only ideal for well-lit photos (i.e. not low light or video).

I'm also wondering how ungainly the S10e's side-mounted fingerprint reader might be.  It's not a massive inconvenience, but I like that the iPhone XR has arguably better biometrics.

And then there's the big one: software policies.  Samsung is still going to be months late on OS updates and drop support after roughly two years, so it's not for anyone who wants the latest OS features or security fixes.  That and Samsung is still notorious for software that bogs down over time  I like using an iPhone knowing that I won't have to factory reset the device just to maintain a responsive UI.

The difference between 5.8 and 6.1 is pretty marginal, I dont think .3 of an ich is going to sway many people.

Battery life on the XR is likely to be better but you get a fast charger with the S10e so I think that makes up for the slightly worse battery life if you need to top up during the day (I use a regular S10 and battery life has been great so I have no concerns about the S10e). Speaker quality on the S10 is about the same as it was on my old iPhone XS, the S10 might be slightly louder but theres not a huge difference.

Cameras on both phones are great, I do find I enjoy samsungs style a bit more and the wide angle camera is a lot of fun to use. I've had no issues with it.

I cant comment on the side mounted fingerprint reader as I havent used it but the power button on the S10 is in a comfortable position for me personally so I cant see the fingerprint reader on the S10e being much of an issue. FaceID on the other hand, while it might be more secure, is no comparison to a fingerprint reader for convenience. There were so many nights I had to put in my pin as the iPhone couldn't tell that it was me. It was a hassle to use.

Apple are without doubt better at software updates but I've been pleasantly surprised with the new OneUI on samsung phones. It feels fast and we wont know how it fares for at least 6 months as it is so new.

I still dont think the XR is a great deal compared to the S10e but if it was a bit cheaper it would be a good deal.

On 3/12/2019 at 12:56 AM, AndYoureDead said:

I'm upgrading to one of these phones from an S7 edge, and have decided to consider an iPhone for the first time in years.

from a s7edge, 5.5" phone to ~5.2" s10e/ iphone is a really huge downgrade in screen size.

go to a display shop & feel it yourself. dont be fooled by sceen size & aspect ratio they tell you.

other than than s10/10e is much lighter and dont have the bad design notch.

finally its dark & light blue looks awesome

S10e has a 5,8" screen. It's SLIGHTLY smaller than the S7 Edge, because S7 Edge is 16:9, while S10e has a "longer" 18,5:9 ratio.

Width is 69mm for the S10e vs. 72mm (WITH Edge Screen) on the S7 Edge.

Slightly less width, slightly more heigh. It's an okay upgrade.

The regular S10 would be a "real" S7 Edge successor, because it does come with a bigger screen, and still smaller size - MUCH less bezels.

Check this Link, you can see this very well: http://j.mp/2T3mrDR

Keep in Mind, 7 Edge has 5,5" and NOT 5,7" as mentioned there.

I don’t know too much about the S10e, but here’s my experience using the iPhone XR for 3 months.

Pros:

Incredibly fast

Great battery life, my average SoT is around 8 hours

Great camera

Some apps work better on iOS, like Snapchat or Instagram

Really doesn’t lack in any one category

Colour accurate and large display

Very loud speakers

Cons:

The camera app is awful, as in absolutely horrible

My experience has been overwhelming positive. At the end of the day, you need to decide whether you want iOS or Android.

8 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

I don’t know too much about the S10e, but here’s my experience using the iPhone XR for 3 months.

I'm the other way.  Never used an iPhone for longer than "Hey, could you take a picture of us real quick" but I just got an S10e.

Size:  It feels huge to me, mind you I upgraded from a 4.5" S4 mini.  ALL phones are too large if you ask me, so being the smallest in the range is a feature to me, not a drawback.

Display:  I don't see any problems; it's bright, clear and rather large.  It's non-curved, which make screen protectors easier to deal with.  The hole punch is actually fun to play with; mine is the superlaser of the Death Star!

Cameras:  A significant improvement over my old phone.  One fewer camera than the rest of the range.  I would have preferred the 2x zoom over the panorama; I'm constantly taking detail pictures of projects to communicate with colleagues, but my old S4 was sufficient, so this is good enough too.

Apps:  Man I've got like five app stores right now, from Google Play to F-Droid.  I'm swimming in software.  I've only noticed one issue so far:  The Roku controller app's widget bombs out.  The app itself works fine.  Being able to run things in full screen desktop mode with DeX is pretty cool too.

Hardware goodies:  I've got pansexual wireless charging, some wacky new Wi-Fi that no one has implemented yet, a multifunctional fingerprint reading power button, a remappable Bixby key, USB-C and a headphone socket.

Samsung smartassery:  Samsung Pay is accepted in places that don't take Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay.  You heard me.

Battery life:  EASILY gets me through a day and then some.  I actually have to remind myself NOT to charge it.

My main drawbacks:

The UI is a little bit of a mess; you sort of have to guess what you can tap, long tap or slide.  They kind of expect you to be used to Android at this point; I'm having less trouble with it than my father, who carried a flip phone up until last week.

Bixby is useful except when she isn't.  "Scan a QR code" brings up 1800-Flowers for some reason.  Bixby Vision doesn't have a clue what it's doing; I pointed it at the little USB C to A adapter that came with the phone, and it mistook it for a bar of soap. The quick commands are fun and useful if you take the time to program them. 

The included wired earbuds are hot buttered garbage.  Best thing about them is how well they fit in my trash can.  Guess I'll just have to keep using my Bose headset.

The battery isn't removable. ?

No physical keyboard

It hasn't cured cancer, ushered forth a post scarcity society or brought Firefly back into production.  But it's only been out a week or so, let's give it time.

I used android for a long time, swore by it but in August of last year I got a iPhone 8 Plus and I’ll never go back to Android. Day to day usage the iPhone just feels so much better. 

I used a bunch of android phones too. Galaxy s2, galaxy nexus, moto x, Moro x pure, nexus 6p, lg g5, htc thunderbolt when lte came out. I’ll never go back to android. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x