will ryzen 3 cpus work on x470 mobos?

ki8aras
Just now, germgoatz said:

yes also move this to the right sub forum

oops my bad(also i kinda dunno how to do dat xd)

Yes. Whether it makes or not is another discussion.. But all current Ryzen 3 CPU's will work in X470 motherboards.

1 minute ago, ki8aras said:

oops my bad(also i kinda dunno how to do dat xd)

Only moderators can move a thread, so don't worry about it

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

18 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

its all in the title :))

you may need to update BIOS with Ryzen 2 or 1 cpu on X470 mobo before you start using with Ryzen 3... these BIOS updates for Ryzen 3 will only come after Ryzen 3 launch.

4 minutes ago, Vikas Rana said:

you may need to update BIOS with Ryzen 2 or 1 cpu on X470 mobo before you start using with Ryzen 3... these BIOS updates for Ryzen 3 will only come after Ryzen 3 launch.

i knew that a bios update would be needed i just worry because they might pull off a stunt like intel did with z370

2 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

i knew that a bios update would be needed i just worry because they might pull off a stunt like intel did with z370

AMD always try to keep backward compatibility since the AM2 sockets so I think 3rd Gen Ryzen should work on AM4.... where as Intel always launch a new mobo/chipset for each generation even when its possible to run Intel cpus on different gen mobos like in this video:

Yes, all 1200, 1300x, and 2200G will work no problem on an X470 board.

Oh, you meant the Zen 2, that is the 3000 series Ryzen CPUs, some of which may be named Ryzen 3 3xxx... yeah, thank you for the simplicity, AMD, thank you very much indeed!

:P 

36 minutes ago, SomeCallMeTim said:

The X470’s will support Ryzen 3, but the B and X3 series will not. 

Where did you get this information?

My understanding is that they will "work" on all AM4 boards, but no telling on how "well" (see i9-9900k on H310 board)

Stumbled across this on another forum

csm_Ryzen_3000_socket_AM4_48ba2f3e47.png

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Shouldn't have a problem, though, if we get 16 core chips, I doubt they'll run on every X470 motherboard. I went ahead and got one of the best motherboards to ensure best compatibility. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

AM4 is suppose to be supported by AMD for new Ryzen chips through at least 2020 per various interviews and informational releases.  I was scared to build my Ryzen 2 so close to potential Ryzen 3 launch.... but a b450 board, or a x470 should and would with a bios update be able to run the new chip with the expection of possible pcie4.

24 minutes ago, xxEMOxx said:

AM4 is suppose to be supported by AMD for new Ryzen chips through at least 2020 per various interviews and informational releases.  I was scared to build my Ryzen 2 so close to potential Ryzen 3 launch.... but a b450 board, or a x470 should and would with a bios update be able to run the new chip with the expection of possible pcie4.

Just because a board is compatible with a certain processor doesn't mean it can handle that processor. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

6 minutes ago, ChewToy! said:

Just because a board is compatible with a certain processor doesn't mean it can handle that processor. 

Well until AMD drops Zen 2 aka Ryzen 3 on the supposed 7/7/2019 date, we are going to have to wait and see if we are going to praise them for allowing us to retain our old boards, or curse them for being "misled" and having to buy 5 series boards.

1 minute ago, xxEMOxx said:

Well until AMD drops Zen 2 aka Ryzen 3 on the supposed 7/7/2019 date, we are going to have to wait and see if we are going to praise them for allowing us to retain our old boards, or curse them for being "misled" and having to buy 5 series boards.

I just wouldn't go as far as saying every single B350/B450 and X370/X470 will work with every Zen 2 processor, that's all. I hope they do, though. But there are boards with questionable VRMs that I wouldn't use a 2700(X) in. 

2 minutes ago, ChewToy! said:

I just wouldn't go as far as saying every single B350/B450 and X370/X470 will work with every Zen 2 processor, that's all. I hope they do, though. But there are boards with questionable VRMs that I wouldn't use a 2700(X) in. 

Well i did not state all, i did it should, and is suppose to be, which as we know may or may not be the truth, but at least they are offering us hope to have at least the possibility of 3 generations of chips all using the same boards which is more then can say Intel has offered us.

6 minutes ago, xxEMOxx said:

Well i did not state all, i did it should, and is suppose to be, which as we know may or may not be the truth, but at least they are offering us hope to have at least the possibility of 3 generations of chips all using the same boards which is more then can say Intel has offered us.

The reality is that if you got a high end chip on a Z170 board, there's little reason to even upgrade to the 9th generation. The only thing you are getting is somewhat better frequency and more cores.

If you needed the high amount of cores to begin with, then you choose the wrong platform anyway.

And despite what many people will tell you, people seem to upgrade motherboards anyway.

Just look at all the signatures on these threads. Most of the time I see 2nd gen Ryzen chips and second gen AM4.

Upgrade path is awesome and all, but I sincerely believe it's value is overrated.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

So....Anyone would be so kind to recommend me what specs to look in (maybe is about brands?) a mother board, hopefully a B450 (is more modern than the 470 despite being middle range?) , so that mostly I could upgrade to a nice series 3000 Ryzen in July. It would be fantastic if also would be one expected to work fine with say, a 2700 or 2700x. But my main worry is that the B450 (or 470) board could at least work at a 90% of the performance (compared to purchasing a 570 in its moment).

My huge issue is not being able to wait till July, and I use the computer for work ( 3D rendering, video editing, general 2D, etc). So, I was thinking in purchasing a B450 or 470 right now, and buy a Ryzen 7 1700, as they seem to be at a nice price now in my local area, and money is short for now (will be somewhat better in July, surely), but this compared to my i7 860 is a big (huge) jump forward, by any benchmark I've been able to use putting my old machine in. Then hope for it'd be possible an upgrade of the bios, and buy a series 3000 cpu in July. I "might" be able to purchase a full new machine by then, but it could be as well that bills make that quite non convenient, even if possible. Thing is, I work slow with this old machine now, I've been able to tune the system a lot, so, till recently it was fine. Five months working slow is a ton fo money for a freelancer, too, so seems the purchase is a must. I don't mind intel or AMD, but I need the most cores (rendering) for the money, and a fine performance/cost ratio, while I rarely play games. So, seems AMD is for me...

So i am running the Asrock B450M Pro4 on a 2600 for myself and its plenty, and hopefully since i got the chip when amazon had them for $150 on sale I should be able hopefully to upgrade to the Zen 2 architecture come July ( fingers crossed AMD isnt like Rockstar lol )  but for the price I dont mind paying once for a chip ill replace in 5 months or so.  Now if you want to run a 2700 or 2700x, then I would reconsider the want to replace it with a 3000 series unless you absolutely have to or the profit potential from work offsets the expense, as it seems counterinuitive to to buy a near flagship level chip only to swap it out in 5-6 months.

Even a 2600 or 2600x would atm be a huge jump forward on the multicore workstation level compared to your gen 1 i7.

12 minutes ago, PixelPol said:

So....Anyone would be so kind to recommend me what specs to look in (maybe is about brands?) a mother board, hopefully a B450 (is more modern than the 470 despite being middle range?) , so that mostly I could upgrade to a nice series 3000 Ryzen in July. It would be fantastic if also would be one expected to work fine with say, a 2700 or 2700x. But my main worry is that the B450 (or 470) board could at least work at a 90% of the performance (compared to purchasing a 570 in its moment).

My huge issue is not being able to wait till July, and I use the computer for work ( 2D rendering, video editing, general 2D, etc). So, I was thinking in purchasing a B450 or 470 right now, and buy a Ryzen 7 1700, as they seem to be at a nice price now in my local area, and money is short for now (will be somewhat better in July, surely), but this compared to my i7 860 is a big (huge) jump forward, by any benchmark I've been able to use putting my old machine in. Then hope for it'd be possible an upgrade of the bios, and buy a series 3000 cpu in July. I "might" be able to purchase a full new machine by then, but it could be as well that bills make that quite non convenient, even if possible. Thing is, I work slow with this old machine now, I've been able to tune the system a lot, so, till recently it was fine. Five months working slow is a ton fo money for a freelancer, too, so seems the purchase is a must. I don't mind intel or AMD, but I need the most cores (rendering) for the money, and a fine performance/cost ratio, while I rarely play games. So, seems AMD is for me...

If you get a decent board now you wont have much to worry about. Even though B450 came out after X470, doesn't mean anything. Those are budget boards. X470 offers the best/most features for the Ryzen platform. The only thing that will limit the performance on Zen 2 is thermal throttling or crappy VRMs. A good B450 or X470 should hold up just fine, even with higher core count processors because going to 7nm lithography will reduce power consumption (heat output) as well.

I would just get a 2600 for now over a 1700 or 1700X, it's little newer and a little faster and should be around the same price, it just lacks 2 extra cores. Get whatever you want, though, if it's only a placeholder. A 2600 will probably be easier to resell, though, so keep that in mind.

These are boards I would personally use and should hold well for an upgrade to Zen 2...

B450:

MSI Pro Carbon

MSI Tomahawk

MSI Mortar

X470:

MSI Pro Carbon

Asus Prime Pro

Asus Strix

Asus Crosshair VII

Gigabyte Gaming 7

Asrock Taichi

Asrock Fatal1ty Gaming K4

Asrock Master SLI

Thank you very much both, it is really appreciated ! . I was mostly thinking I had a very narrow possibility of later on making possible that a 3000 series would work in a current board. I will save no buck in the mother board then, I am putting that boards list to a document, is long enough to find one of those locally. Thanks!. It is specially cool that I'd be able to use a machine of that range of capability. I've seen the specs of the incoming series, and it just blows my mind, totally. About the 2600, I have been considering it. Even more, so to put the money in a Wacom Cintiq or alternative (as I paint a lot) even considered the now dirty cheap 1600, as in many benchmarks is quite a decent machine.

The problem is that where the machine stops more my workflow is in 3D rendering and video rendering. Mostly the former. And Blender Cycles renderer LOVES Ryzen machines, attending to benchmarks. I can set how many threads I want to use inside Blender, and this is also very convenient at times. In tests, and my own work experience,  seems the 2 extra cores (4 extra threads), or any number of extra threads do benefit greatly the rendering times. But is always a balance with clock speed and other cpu features. The number of cores alone is not enough (8700k does beat some cpus with more cores, due to the brute force). The 1700 has proven to be really good in rendering. Otherwise I would definitely would be looking more towards a 2600 / 2600x, seems is better in single core (which Adobe apps favor greatly). The 2700X was only in case I find myself in the circumstance that the 3000 series get a huge delay (hope not!!), or.... which I don't know....Could happen? that being a high end inside mainstream... might see its price drastically reduced when approaching the series 3000 launch. 

Also, digital painting software, 2D editing applications, 3D ones... all is asking for more cores, more clock, better CPUs ( Krita, a digital painting app, gets benefit from the CPU cache for the brush size !)... today anything 1st gen is bottlenecking hugely for work production, even with a (geekly) super fine tuned system.

Thanks a gazillion both, I'm kind of familiar with tech (though not at all with mobos and power supplies), but was finding nowhere something even slightly solid in favor of purchasing now the machine. I would be even fine with a 50% risk, as a 1700 or a 2600 are great machines. This clears the path !  :)

5 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yes, all 1200, 1300x, and 2200G will work no problem on an X470 board.

This was my immediate reaction as well.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 hours ago, PixelPol said:

Thank you very much both, it is really appreciated ! . I was mostly thinking I had a very narrow possibility of later on making possible that a 3000 series would work in a current board. I will save no buck in the mother board then, I am putting that boards list to a document, is long enough to find one of those locally. Thanks!. It is specially cool that I'd be able to use a machine of that range of capability. I've seen the specs of the incoming series, and it just blows my mind, totally. About the 2600, I have been considering it. Even more, so to put the money in a Wacom Cintiq or alternative (as I paint a lot) even considered the now dirty cheap 1600, as in many benchmarks is quite a decent machine.

The problem is that where the machine stops more my workflow is in 3D rendering and video rendering. Mostly the former. And Blender Cycles renderer LOVES Ryzen machines, attending to benchmarks. I can set how many threads I want to use inside Blender, and this is also very convenient at times. In tests, and my own work experience,  seems the 2 extra cores (4 extra threads), or any number of extra threads do benefit greatly the rendering times. But is always a balance with clock speed and other cpu features. The number of cores alone is not enough (8700k does beat some cpus with more cores, due to the brute force). The 1700 has proven to be really good in rendering. Otherwise I would definitely would be looking more towards a 2600 / 2600x, seems is better in single core (which Adobe apps favor greatly). The 2700X was only in case I find myself in the circumstance that the 3000 series get a huge delay (hope not!!), or.... which I don't know....Could happen? that being a high end inside mainstream... might see its price drastically reduced when approaching the series 3000 launch. 

Also, digital painting software, 2D editing applications, 3D ones... all is asking for more cores, more clock, better CPUs ( Krita, a digital painting app, gets benefit from the CPU cache for the brush size !)... today anything 1st gen is bottlenecking hugely for work production, even with a (geekly) super fine tuned system.

Thanks a gazillion both, I'm kind of familiar with tech (though not at all with mobos and power supplies), but was finding nowhere something even slightly solid in favor of purchasing now the machine. I would be even fine with a 50% risk, as a 1700 or a 2600 are great machines. This clears the path !  :)

If you are using it professionally and the render time differences make that much of a savings to your bottomline step up to the processor in which you think will help you the best, I was merely providing advice as to what I thought the best bang for money spent would be until the newer Zen 2 3000 series are released.