Do you watch LTT's videos?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch LTT's videos?

• YES
    • NO
    • SOMETIMES

1 minute ago, GeoSquigg said:

I mainly watch the As fast as possible videos

A lot of Techquickie videos contain misinformation.

1 minute ago, GeoSquigg said:

The sleeper builds are getting repetitive to the point its the same hardware, different box.

I liked the original sleeper build, the new ones are all crap IMO.

2 minutes ago, GeoSquigg said:

And REALLY not a fan of thier new news channel with riley

I barely watched Riley's NCIX videos, I never liked him as a host for some reason.

LTT is changing as a channel, but I don't think the change has been as positive for some viewers as it has for LMG.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, Geography said:

A lot of Techquickie videos contain misinformation.

I've noticed that, but i use it more as a quick and dirty intro to a concept. Then I move to deeper dives for info that i usualy source away from youtube lol

~~~~Started Folding - Feb 7, 2019~~~~

I dont watch the reviews or showcases or stuff like that, but videos like gaming on a mining card, taking apart the RED camera  or RISC videos, I do watch and enjoy.

One of my problems is that either I don't like most other tech YouTubers, or they almost only do reviews.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Who's Linus??

?

Why hasn't anyone posted that little funny bit yet? :P 

However i do watch some part of LTT every day. Whether it be Techquickie etc.....

I personally hate clickbait titles and thumbnails, they look stupid and are super cringy. I understand why he does it but I'm more surprised it actually works because personally it has the opposite effect on me, when I see a clickbait video I don't even want to give the channel the satisfaction of a view.

That being said I've watched Linus for a number of years and do enjoy his content, him and all his staff are enjoyable to watch and he's actually honest. His reviews are pretty concise, especially his phone reviews and I'd some of his recent videos have been very interesting. Like the videos on the mining card being used for gaming, the chinese motherboard running multiple series of CPUs and particularly Taron's video on the usb macro device.

Overall he has good videos and bad like every channel and I don't see me stopping watching any time soon.

| Core i7 8700 | 16GB GSkill Trident Z | Asus Strix H370-F | Asus Strix GTX 1070Ti | Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Samsung 970 Evo 250GB | Lian Li Lancool One |

| Acer Predator XB271HU | Corsair K70 RGB | Logitech G502 | Neewer NW-7000 Condenser | AKG K92 |

Only occasionally. LTT's content isn't really my type of thing. Don't get me wrong, it's great but it's not the type of content I'm interested in.

I've been considering cancelling Floatplane for good. There isn't anything watching anymore.  It's also very laggy for me, when I try to download it, it takes for ever. I'm disappointed in it. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

To be realistic, I don’t really watch Linus.

Sometimes Linus becomes Loony Linus and sometimes it’s not a hard core tech review.

Won’t visit often..

I think what everyone is struggling to express themselves is "I would rather come to the forum than watch a clickbait video"

20 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

LTT is just for fun, now, I don't really learn anything useful from his vids, its just unboxings and shilling for custom pc makers.

for actual info, I watch GamersNexus, and AHOC (buildzoid's channel), and read anandtech, and other review sites. 

Bitwit, Pauls Hardware, JayZTwocents etc. is just for entertainment, no offense, but I don't trust their reviews.

A follow up to my post:

for example, on the vengeance pc, he didn't mention the temps, at least say i.e 75c gpu on load. etc, or the cpu temps.

I don't think he needed to do that...all components are off the shelf and i'm sure you can find many reviews of an 8700 w/ a h100i in a micro atx cassis, as well as temps for the 2080.

I rarely watch his stuff these days, in fact I was considering unsubscribing from his channel because of the amount of content he is posting with trashy clickbait titles. Yes, Linus may be getting new subscribers, but he is losing his core fans who he can fall back onto in a pickle, e.g us forum users who let us face it are more dedicated than the average joe online and the floatplane lot.  

9 minutes ago, drinklime said:

I think what everyone is struggling to express themselves is "I would rather come to the forum than watch a clickbait video"

I don't believe anybody has struggled to express that, it's quite clear

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

To me the thumbnail is that part that really upsets me. He makes artificial faces which some are really disturbing, his eyes look like a small child or baby. I think they are photoshopped which is considered controversial. In fact I would be more tolerant of the videos if the thumbnails were not so offensive.

11 hours ago, fasauceome said:

That flat out makes no sense.

First of all, a review is not an ad. Period. An ad will try to sell you a product. However, Linus will talk about the negatives of a product, an ad would only cover the positives.

But let's assume product review = ad, even though that's nonsense. Of the last dozen or so vids on the LTT channel, there's:

Nvidia drivers

Chinese motherboard

Keyboard macros

Bedroom Gaming

Xeon CPU fuckery

WAN show

Cleanest setup

Fastest Xbox

And like 4 product reviews. So we've got some informational stuff, projects, and tech experimentation. No glut of filler "ads" you claim plague the content.

You being bored by the motherboard video is your own fault, you're burned out on tech content from LTT, not the other way around, LTT having no ideas. It's also nonsense to equate the fact that their videos have ads with the idea that they ARE ads. The long and short of it is that Linus makes the kinds of videos HE wants, when HE wants to, and you've just grown out of it.

Capture.png

Prove me wrong.... While some of those videos may indeed be interesting (keyboard macros), they are thinly veiled advertisements.... at best. It just so happened that the last week had some "special" videos that weren't advertisements, like the "We've come so far" and "the $100,000 PC", and that the WAN show waters it down a lot. Hence the 20/42 advertisement quota. And I was even generous on some of the videos. Ultimate sleeper build? Definitely an ad for the hardline products.... just look at all the closeups. What is the point of building "yet another" "ultimate PC" if not for showing off the latest and greatest parts? 

Out of the videos that are left.... I count... geeze...maybe 3 videos that are interesting. (I'm counting the 2 nvidia mining cards as one video). I don't even know what the "Fool me once" video was about. You can see I didn't click on it. 

Seriously.... "Dark mode your life" really? We're teaching people how to apply app skins.... that we've been able to do on windows for like 20 years? We took apart an 8k camera? OK? Great. That's relevant to probably 0.1% of us who A. are interested in vidography and B. can afford an 8k camera. WAN show is just... boring. If I want my tech news I'll go for a more condensed video somewhere else without all the bullshit. Can we fix the 10,000 CPU was just idiotic. The "fastest xbox" of all time? Yeah that's all well and good until you realize that most xbox games are going to be locked to a framerate anyway. The "home gaming" setup? Oh wow they installed a TV and a soundbar. Didn't realize we were on a home improvement channel now. 

48 minutes ago, KE2012 said:

I rarely watch his stuff these days, in fact I was considering unsubscribing from his channel because of the amount of content he is posting with trashy clickbait titles. Yes, Linus may be getting new subscribers, but he is losing his core fans who he can fall back onto in a pickle, e.g us forum users who let us face it are more dedicated than the average joe online and the floatplane lot.  

Yes but there are fewer of us (people who actually like tech) than the people who will just click a clickbaity video and watch linus be silly. Therefore they pander to the younger viewers who want silly time and flashy stuff.

7 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

they are thinly veiled advertisements.... at best

Oh, so Linus telling Razer their product is not good enough for him to use, making fun of a dumb little desk fan, telling Corsair that their product makes no sense, these are product reviews not ads. An ad would say "go buy this" when Linus clearly does not.

Also, you actually are saying that the Cleanest Setup vid is an ad? for what? powerhouse sleeper PC is an ad?? For what product???? Your rationale for choosing these videos is asinine. You even said the bedroom gaming setup was an ad. How are these advertisements of any kind? These are projects.

And your little comment about "locked framerate Xbox games" also makes no sense. They weren't running an Xbox emulator, they were playing PC games using a sleeper inside an Xbox. Makes it look like you've not even seen the vast majority of these vids, and that you're just writing them off as crap by glancing the thumbnail.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Oh, so Linus telling Razer their product is not good enough for him to use, making fun of a dumb little desk fan, telling Corsair that their product makes no sense, these are product reviews not ads. An ad would say "go buy this" when Linus clearly does not.

Also, you actually are saying that the Cleanest Setup vid is an ad? for what? powerhouse sleeper PC is an ad?? For what product???? Your rationale for choosing these videos is asinine. You even said the bedroom gaming setup was an ad. How are these advertisements of any kind? These are projects.

"Projects"???!@? Really? HAHAHAAHA. Just because LINUS doesn't like something doesn't mean that people watching it wouldn't like it. Linus's usercase is not the same as everybody else. Therefore yes, the Razer video WAS an ad, for people who want a lightweight razer computer with a dedicated gpu. Corsair video contained enough "pretty" footage of all of the products to not be considered an ad. Even if the product doesn't make sense, you know that putting it out there on a channel with 8 million subscribers is 100% a cash grab. I can guarantee you that SOMEONE bought one of those computers because of that video.

The cleanest setup? Obviously an ad for the CalDigit thing. I mean, come on, how is that no obvious? Powerhouse PE sleeper, ad for all the hardline connections. Just watch the video. You know someone will try to emulate it. The bedroom gaming setup.... really? How is that NOT an ad. A "tech guy" with 8 million subscribers chooses these two products to put in his bedroom? How on earth is that not an ad? There was no other point to that video other than to show off the products. That was NOT a project. That was a "we need to record a video in 30 minutes" video. 

Despite the videos not being directly advertisements, the only point of putting a video like the bedroom setup on this channel is for advertising purposes. The content wasn't interesting, the video was basically just them installing a TV, then playing games. They likely got given the products under the contract of "you must make a video with it." 

The companies aren't stupid. Exposure IS advertising. There is no such thing as bad press.

7 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

"Projects"???!@? Really? HAHAHAAHA. Just because LINUS doesn't like something doesn't mean that people watching it wouldn't like it. Linus's usercase is not the same as everybody else. Therefore yes, the Razer video WAS an ad, for people who want a lightweight razer computer with a dedicated gpu. Corsair video contained enough "pretty" footage of all of the products to not be considered an ad. Even if the product doesn't make sense, you know that putting it out there on a channel with 8 million subscribers is 100% a cash grab. I can guarantee you that SOMEONE bought one of those computers because of that video.

The cleanest setup? Obviously an ad for the CalDigit thing. I mean, come on, how is that no obvious? Powerhouse PE sleeper, ad for all the hardline connections. Just watch the video. You know someone will try to emulate it. The bedroom gaming setup.... really? How is that NOT an ad. A "tech guy" with 8 million subscribers chooses these two products to put in his bedroom? How on earth is that not an ad? There was no other point to that video other than to show off the products. That was NOT a project. That was a "we need to record a video in 30 minutes" video. 

Despite the videos not being directly advertisements, the only point of putting a video like the bedroom setup on this channel is for advertising purposes. The content wasn't interesting, the video was basically just them installing a TV, then playing games. They likely got given the products under the contract of "you must make a video with it." 

The companies aren't stupid. Exposure IS advertising. There is no such thing as bad press.

By this logic, Linus has literally always been a shill, even before he was big. When he worked for ncix, he reviewed tons and tons of products just for the hell if it. It's even in his retrospective video. Why does mentioning a product in your video make it an ad?

And you tell me what's worse: saying in the video what you used to make your project happen, or not saying it at all? What a shitty video it would be if Linus just said "hey watch me put a tv in my room and game on it" or "hey watch us build a sleeper" and just didn't even say what components he was using at all. It's utter nonsense!

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

By this logic, Linus has literally always been a shill, even before he was big. When he worked for ncix, he reviewed tons and tons of products just for the hell if it. It's even in his retrospective video. Why does mentioning a product in your video make it an ad?

And you tell me what's worse: saying in the video what you used to make your project happen, or not saying it at all? What a shitty video it would be if Linus just said "hey watch me put a tv in my room and game on it" or "hey watch us build a sleeper" and just didn't even say what components he was using at all. It's utter nonsense!

Back then the channel wasn't big enough to throw it's weight around for sponsors and say "We'll make a video of your product if you give us one."

As for your second comment. I literally laughed out loud. You realize that was EXACTLY what both of those videos were.... right?

3 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

As for your second comment. I literally laughed out loud. You realize that was EXACTLY what both of those videos were.... right?

Yeah except he went through the process of what he was doing. If he skipped over the details it would be idiotic.

3 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Back then the channel wasn't big enough to throw it's weight around for sponsors and say "We'll make a video of your product if you give us one."

Is he a shill because he gets review samples? Because every reviewer does. Steve Burke, Jay, Kyle, are they all shills? Every tech reviewer gets stuff for free, without asking, and chooses when to review it, if at all. In vide where Linus looks onto their backroom stock, he shows a bunch of stuff they never reviewed cause it was crap they couldn't make a video out of, but they don't ask for these things, nor advertise themselves as a service to push your product.

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Yeah except he went through the process of what he was doing. If he skipped over the details it would be idiotic.

Is he a shill because he gets review samples? Because every reviewer does. Steve Burke, Jay, Kyle, are they all shills? Every tech reviewer gets stuff for free, without asking, and chooses when to review it, if at all. In vide where Linus looks onto their backroom stock, he shows a bunch of stuff they never reviewed cause it was crap they couldn't make a video out of, but they don't ask for these things, not advertise themselves as a service to push your product.

Wow going through how to install a TV and soundbar is SUPER.... SUPER EXCITING. I didn't know that I had to connect the soundbar to the "audio out" port of the TV.... NO WAY! And Wow, watching them put together ANOTHER PC that 95% of us can't afford is SUPER.... SUPER EXCITING. Except THIS time they put it in an old case. Man that was just riveting content. 

Companies send their product to LMG BECAUSE they are so big, and they know that IF linus chooses to review it, it gets their product out there. It gives them exposure. So when linus makes a video that has nothing special... like an average monitor, or average razer laptop, what other reason is there other than advertising? I can understand for extremely shitty or extraordinarily GOOD products, for if the product is average.... the only reason to make it is to advertise.

As for this...

not advertise themselves as a service to push your product.

I will gladly direct you to all of LMG's direct "sponsored" videos (other than the normal honey, vpn stuff) if you'd like. 

I'm subscribed to like 50 channels. I only watch videos in my feed that interest me though. Not all of them. Sometimes I'll click on a video just to dislike cause of a clickbait title or a thumbnail with an annoying image on it. Like when Linus makes a cringe face.