Gaming on Apple Products?!?!?!?

14 hours ago, Thaldor said:

The article is pointing that the iPhone and iPad Pro have a lot of performance and could run "console grade" games. Can't argue with that, but the harsh truth is in mobile markets game that would cost 60$ wouldn't survive even with subscribtion based service.

Also, without a physical controller the experience is severely limited. The switch gets away with it because the controls are actually good, or at least good enough. It doesn't matter how powerful the hardware is if you can't play games comfortably. And nobody in their right mind would pay 60$ for candy crush.

And this is coming from a guy who played through doom 3 on a nexus 7 - believe me, I tried. I really did.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Subscription service, gaming. Lul

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

The software industry in general has been moving towards a subscription based model for quite some time now. I prefer a one time payment for most of my app purchases but I don't mind a subscription for things like music and movies. If this service works on tvOS it could also help the Apple TV to become a more viable gaming platform. 

16 hours ago, BuckGup said:

Better yet. Buy premade pihole off adafruit. Plug it in. Enter numbers on screen into DNS in router. Done

Yeah if you are talking about the general population then most don't even know how to do anything with their router besides maybe unplugging and plugging it back in. I wouldnt be surprised if most of them don't even know what a router really is. 

15 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Btw Apple have had better mobile gaming for a long time.

False. Mobile gaming is always a bad experience on android and iOS. The only company to make decent mobile experiences is Nintendo. 

4 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Mobile gaming is always a bad experience on android and iOS

maybe for you.

but one of my current top 3 games is a "mobile" game. though i play it on an ipad, so it's more manageable than a phone

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

23 minutes ago, Arika S said:

maybe for you.

but one of my current top 3 games is a "mobile" game. though i play it on an ipad, so it's more manageable than a phone

I'm sorry but comparing any mobile games for iOS and Android to Nintendo games for the switch or 3DS the winner is Nintendo no contest. Games for phones are a joke tbh. 

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I'm sorry but comparing any mobile games for iOS and Android to Nintendo games for the switch or 3DS the winner is Nintendo no contest. Games for phones are a joke tbh. 

yes Nintendo is better because that's their main function, they are a game console. note that i said "better" whereas you originally said 

Mobile gaming is always a bad experience on android and iOS

which is not correct, unless you're saying that i dont actually have fun playing games on my tablet? or that the thousands of people that play mobile games and enjoy them are lying

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

55 minutes ago, Arika S said:

yes Nintendo is better because that's their main function, they are a game console. note that i said "better" whereas you originally said 

which is not correct, unless you're saying that i dont actually have fun playing games on my tablet? or that the thousands of people that play mobile games and enjoy them are lying

Little kids enjoy playing with sticks. That doesn't make sticks a good form of entertainment. Phones games are bad and I would rather read on my phone than play any of that mobile trash they call games. 

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

That doesn't make sticks a good form of entertainment.

it is to kids.....that's the point, everyone's form of entertainment is different. just because it doesn't appeal to you, doesn't mean it's not entertaining.

Phones games are bad and I would rather read on my phone than play any of that mobile trash they call games. 

and you can certainly do that. but to call all mobile games "bad" or "trash" is just incorrect. remember, your opinion is not fact. the "PCMR" idiots have the same opinions about console games, does that mean that people who play console games are liars to and not actually having fun?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

22 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

There definitely is some advantage to strong moderation and as well as optimization.

It's just better hardware

• 2 weeks later...

Apple: how can we reinvent gaming so sheeple will pay us more monies???  Oh! lets start a gaming subscription to play what they already get for free. AAaand it will be seen as innovative!

See the source image

/facepalm

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Fun facts:

Mobile gaming is not only the biggest gaming segment, it's also the fastest growing segment by far. Projected yearly growth rates for each segment in 2018 was a sad 1.6% for PC gaming, 4.1% for console and a whooping 25.5% for mobile gaming. Add that to the fact that mobile gaming is already as big as PC and console gaming combined, it is obvious that it's in that direction the industry is moving, and has been moving, for quite some time. 

As I mentioned in my previous post in this thread, the software industry in general are moving towards a subscription based model. Obviously as a consumer I would prefer to buy my app once and own it forever, but from a developers perspective it can be challenging to keep your business afloat with that model as you now have to provide updates and support forever after a one time purchase. For indie developers this is especially hard as your user base can be quite small and if you are not growing fast enough it's just a matter of time before you go out of business, which is bad for consumers as well who paid for that app and no longer receive updates. One way that has been tried to solve this issue is kind of mimicking a subscription model: Either 1) charge additional money for a major update. So a developer will charge its users to update from version 2 to version 3 of an app or 2) For games, offer in-app purchases of in-game items or whatever for real money. Now this rumored service is specifically for gaming so if Apple can figure out a good way to share the revenue I believe that it can be beneficial for all parties involved and even enable the smallest developer teams a sustainable and convenient way to finance their business. 

iOS is also a huge platform. Though it may not have the biggest market share in terms of devices, in terms of app revenue it's twice as big as Android so this could have a huge impact on the mobile gaming market, which again, is by far the biggest and fastest growing segment of the gaming industry. And no childish opinion that "mobile gaming is not real gaming" is going to change that. 

On 2/4/2019 at 4:49 PM, SlimyPython said:

I mean, Game pass on Xbox worked out well. Why not copy the formula to something that isn't really used for games

And the game pass is sweet!  Well, currently sweet since I nabbed it for two months for two bucks.  xD  I think that special price is still on going.

On 2/5/2019 at 4:04 PM, Arika S said:

maybe for you.

Same, actually, probably my current most played game is a mobile game.  FEH is a bad love affair at the moment (so far, not drop a dime on it either - other folks, in a Discord server I'm in, think I got god luck on free pulls :P ). 

Going to be interesting to see how this subscription model works out for Apple.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

• 2 months later...

My only hope is that the MFi Controller market comes back, I wanna play the Binding Of Issac, XCOM, Death Road to Canada, Minecraft and others with Physical Controls but there’s not any good choices on the market anymore due to them all being way too expensive (100 dollars for a shitty controller is awful) or made for the iPhone 5/5C/5S. It really sucks that we don’t have the choice to play our games with any Bluetooth or Wired controller, and that will likely never happen.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

I never use my phone or tablet for games!! I just play good games on my Xbox or pc. I don't want to pay a monthly fee just to be able to play a mobile game on an iPhone or iPad (which I have none).

Just use stadia when it comes out, good with beautiful graphics, not a plastic unicorn paradise.

All I need is a phone, emulators and something like the flydigy controller.

Only then would iOS based be viable gaming devices for my needs.

Now I'll go back to my phone and finally beat FF tactics war of the lion 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>