New Peripheral?

DaGameFace

My name is Anthony Frissora.  I am 16 years old. Recently I had an idea involving gaming tech that I think you would be interested in, and I would love to have some feedback. I already have what is called a provisional patent application (lasts only one year but can apply for a full patent in that one year time).  This design involves a radical and creative PC peripheral.  I have done my research and found nothing like it out there.  I myself am a PC gamer and have made a working proof of concept of it.  I love using it and the few friends I have showed it to also enjoy it.

Basically in short my idea is a PC mouse where instead of having a number pad on the thumbs vertical face I put it on top. The thumb would then gain a left click paddle and the pinky a right click paddle. This leaves plenty of room for a nice big number pad that can be operated by the index, middle, and ring finger. This means that you can use multiple keys simultaneously without distracting from left/right click. This number pad can be used for increased productivity in the workspace by never having to lift your hand from the mouse. Or can be used by gamers for macros, voice chat keys and other useful shortcuts.

OR if you speak legalese here is my patent application: https://www.mediafire.com/?p92y95wc1bc24w6

The following are pictures of a clay model (not the working proof of concept) I made of it:

1  2  3  4  5  6

#4 is the most important one

More pictures:
         Left view: With Hand, Without Hand
       Right view: With Hand, Without Hand

Market: aimed at people who have to work with numbers in their work on a regular basis. This would include engineers, secretaries, and accountants. In addition due to the reprogrammable nature of the it it could benefit people who extensively use in depth software such as Adobe Photoshop, AutoCAD, and Excel, or it could be used for intese games such as RTS's or MMORPG's.

Why I posted: I tried contacting Logitech, Razer, and Corsair through letters. I got no response from Corsair, Razer said they don't entertain outside inventors ideas, and then Logitech gave me a link to here:  http://www.logitech.com/en-us/utilities/forms/790 but that would give them ownership of my idea. I was hoping to get some feedback (remember my idea above is protected under a patent) and also hopefully someone out there can help me out on getting in touch with a company.

EDIT:

I went looking for my cad files but they were corrupt so I made some new ones (I did this in about three hours) but here is a link if you want to see my progress there is no buttons but the two parts are mostly done and in an assembly file https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxfW6Tb0qSEvR1dzblZ2UWVpSEE/edit?usp=sharing

Also i reset the poll so please vote again

Sorry but I am not interested in this what so ever. Some people may want it but I wouldn't. Also if you add keys to I feel that will be uncomfortable. Some people may also find that they aren't good because they would be membrane. If you did go the Cherry MX switch it will raise the cost of the product and size.

Quote me to get a reply!

It's basically the same thing as;

Razer Tartarus / Orbweaver / Nostromo

Belkin n52te Tournament Edition SpeedPad

Just in a more uncomfortable looking shape and a pinky button.

Um no.... all the things you listed are left handed keypads... this is a right handed device and most importantly a mouse

Looks quite wide for  someone with small hands

Cool idea though

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core
  • Ducky Shine 3 - Blue LED, Brown Switches
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2443
  • Custom Mousepad http://imgur.com/xJWASQM
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

Hmm. I like the concept but he ergonomics look pretty bad. What is the advantage of this over a razer naga, or even the G602?

Awesome! good for you going and doing something about it!

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

I think the fact that it's a mouse is going to be an issue. There's a reason the other companies haven't designed something like this.

It won't be easy to move around. It's probably 2-3 times the size of a regular mouse. Even if you did have the available desk space, you'd have to have a massive mouse pad, or just a really high sensitivity, which some people don't like.

Do you have any dimensional measurements?

As they say in Dragon's Den, great effort and it's awesome to see people trying new things, but I don't think this one will take off.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Although this proberly isn't for me.. I could actually see a mouse like this going somewhere.. Maybe a bit fewer buttons, but I don't think it is out of this world...

Yes, it is proberly something that you need to get used too after using your index and middle finger for the M1 and M2 buttons, but hey, in this time of new peripherals and cool new tech, I don't see why you should'nt give it a shot...

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

Looks quite wide for  someone with small hands

Cool idea though

hmm small hands might be a problem but if this were to be made it would have to have adjustable palm rest so that your fingers line up with the keys

Hmm. I like the concept but he ergonomics look pretty bad. What is the advantage of this over a razer naga, or even the G602?

i find it very comfortable but thats just me you would have to try it for yourself

advantages:

multiple macro keys SIMULTANEOUSLY without you fingers leaving the left click/right click and bigger keys means less mispresses and hopefully a better key feel

I reckon there's a market for it for mmorpg.  but you'll need to make your clay model significantly better if you want any company to take you seriously.  I mean get a sculpture artist to make the clay model perfect.  also look into the viability of getting an intermediate to have someone in china knock up a thousand and sell them yourself.

EDIT: you may have to incorporate a strap so you don't have to grip it to move it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

And to defend your idea furthermore... Obviously this is a "proof of concept".. It's a unique idea and could proberly be usefull to a certain consumer base... Obviously you would need to take alot of time designing the thing, and polishing it, but the fact that you have already gone so far as to patent it show that you may, despite your age, actually might have a slight chance of designing this thing :)

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

I think the fact that it's a mouse is going to be an issue. There's a reason the other companies haven't designed something like this.

It won't be easy to move around. It's probably 2-3 times the size of a regular mouse. Even if you did have the available desk space, you'd have to have a massive mouse pad, or just a really high sensitivity, which some people don't like.

Do you have any dimensional measurements?

As they say in Dragon's Den, great effort and it's awesome to see people trying new things, but I don't think this one will take off.

that clay model mouse I showed in the pictures is approximately 4 inches wide at its widestand it could be made smaller i made it that wide for my big hands and because it was easier

Meh, I'm still waiting for my Func MS-3 mouse to come from Massdrop for $35; it has more buttons than I should ever need in a game while still being comfortable and easy to reach.  Good luck to your project though~

that clay model mouse I showed in the pictures is approximately 4 inches wide at its widestand it could be made smaller i made it that wide for my big hands and because it was easier

That's not actually thaaat bad for what it is.

I'd definitely aim to make it as narrow as possible, and then be able to expand the sides.

So, the only real issue I can think of is the placement of the left mouse button.

The mouse is obviously going to be a fair bit heavier than a standard mouse (no way around that affordably), how do you plan to make it so that when you push the mouse to the right you don't trigger the mouse button?

Other than that, I'll echo that if you want companies to take you seriously you should spend a ton of time perfecting the clay model.

Are you planning to try and get this made yourself, or selling the idea to a manufacturer for a small royalty?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

That's not actually thaaat bad for what it is.

I'd definitely aim to make it as narrow as possible, and then be able to expand the sides.

So, the only real issue I can think of is the placement of the left mouse button.

The mouse is obviously going to be a fair bit heavier than a standard mouse (no way around that affordably), how do you plan to make it so that when you push the mouse to the right you don't trigger the mouse button?

Other than that, I'll echo that if you want companies to take you seriously you should spend a ton of time perfecting the clay model.

Are you planning to try and get this made yourself, or selling the idea to a manufacturer for a small royalty?

First off the left click paddle would probably be about a 1/8 - 1/4 inches higher off the desk than were your thumb would naturally rest, in addition you would easily be able to push the mouse to the right with first phalanx bone without triggering the left click(thumb wiki pic)

I am definitely trying to sell this to a company for a royalty unfortunately I ran into problems with even contacting them to begin with. (I hope someone can help me out there)

Ah gotcha, that wouldn't be bad then. From the clay model it sort of looks like the thumb would be sitting right on the button.

I was thinking the same way to move it as you described.

I think you need a bit more technical information. Switch types, laser/optical, LED's, etc.

A model with a little more of a professional look, or CAD images.

That said, for your age it's definitely impressive.

You could try making a model out of soap. It would take more than a few hours but would be worth it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

hmm small hands might be a problem but if this were to be made it would have to have adjustable palm rest so that your fingers line up with the keys

i find it very comfortable but thats just me you would have to try it for yourself

Even if it was adjustable the width of the keys will remain the same..

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core
  • Ducky Shine 3 - Blue LED, Brown Switches
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2443
  • Custom Mousepad http://imgur.com/xJWASQM
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

Ah gotcha, that wouldn't be bad then. From the clay model it sort of looks like the thumb would be sitting right on the button.

I was thinking the same way to move it as you described.

I think you need a bit more technical information. Switch types, laser/optical, LED's, etc.

A model with a little more of a professional look, or CAD images.

That said, for your age it's definitely impressive.

You could try making a model out of soap. It would take more than a few hours but would be worth it.

i cant list any technical specs because this is just the idea not an exact mouse it would be open to modifications by any company i can make a deal with

also i am in the process of making cad files (i'm actually in a CAD class in school an have to help the teacher once in a while) i was even contemplating setting up a DAVID laser scanner (look that up its sweet)

i have never acually seen a soap carving but i will look into that

I think my biggest problem with that would be the right click button would be too uncomfortable to click with and in many games, that is the button you click the most. 

I think my biggest problem with that would be the right click button would be too uncomfortable to click with and in many games, that is the button you click the most. 

it does take some getting used to the way i have it shown but if the right click paddle is slightly more vertical then i think it wouldn't be a problem...

the keyboard has a numberpad

..... just wow....