Mantle not restricted to GCN

Jamdude

So I'm watching the AMD Developer Summit and apparently Mantle isn't tied to AMD's GCN architecture, is this true?  If so then will it be later supported by Nvidia cards as well?

Ko4htOi.jpg

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

It means AMD's GCN I think, If Nvidia made a GCN card it would work then.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

It means AMD's GCN I think, If Nvidia made a GCN card it would work then.

It says it isn't restricted to AMD's GCN, meaning it is compatible with cards that don't have the GCN architecture, i think.

EDIT:  AMD hope to have Mantle on all platforms with all vendors.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Well, it will not work on just any card, since it doesn work on old amd cards. This probably means that nVidia can implement it, not that it will just work on their cards.

Also it will probably work on amd's future architectures not just GCN.

It is true, Johan said it and yes he said that "ideally" he would like to see this on all vendors and GPUs, he knows it would work with nvidia GPUs and is probably taking a shot at both companies poking them going like "hey who is going to swallow their pride and do something good for developers and the consumer"  but we shall see if this happens in the future.

I think that Mantle would work on pre-GCN cards but AMD simply didn't program for it on a driver level simply because it'll make the 6000 to 7000 series jump look EVEN greater and it encourages people to buy new cards.

If Nvidia decided to be civil with AMD and talk to them about Mantle I'm pretty sure Nvidia would be able to get Mantle but they'd make it Kepler only :P because they can just like Shadowplay and Gamestream and G-sync same way G-sync could probably be integrated into GCN just like TrueAudio.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I think that Mantle would work on pre-GCN cards but AMD simply didn't program for it on a driver level simply because it'll make the 6000 to 7000 series jump look EVEN greater and it encourages people to buy new cards.

This is probably exactly what they will do.  7000 series cards are starting to disappear from retailers now though.

Hopefully they release more information about it soon, if Nvidia have Mantle by the time they release their next series of cards then they might be ahead of the game a little.

"Will allow their game to properly utilize more than 3 cores.

Explicit control of GPU queues and synchronization to implement your own alternate from rendering, and exotic things like a workstation rendering with 4-8 GPU's which would give you around 20-40 TFlops in one machine while evenly spreading the workload among them, also allow low-latency rendering which would be very useful for VR.

Command buffer prediction & flow control and writing.

Shaders can select resources to use without relying on CPU binding.

Will work on both W7 & W8.

Johan wants to see Mantle on Linux, also he said that they are building an opencl/gl extension in FB3.

In mobile Mantle will let SoC vendors will let them leap frog GL4 and DX11.

MANTLE IS NOT TIED TO GCN.

Code looks closer to PS4 API than DX11.

They have been working on it for around 2 months.

Garden Warfare will utilize mantle out of the box with a focus on APU's due to it being an "accessible title".

All FB3 games will utilize mantle."

Source

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

Nice summary of the Summit.  When you get your hands on the graphics they had to show most of these can you add them to the post? :)

This is probably exactly what they will do.  7000 series cards are starting to disappear from retailers now though.

Hopefully they release more information about it soon, if Nvidia have Mantle by the time they release their next series of cards then they might be ahead of the game a little.

ttbh if both parties have both Mantle and G-Sync then it's perfect because FPS won't be a worry for game developers since they know that the player will have a smooth experience no matter what :D

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Does frostbite 3 not use more than 3 cores properly when they use DX11? That seems to be a limitation on the engine and not the API.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

ttbh if both parties have both Mantle and G-Sync then it's perfect because FPS won't be a worry for game developers since they know that the player will have a smooth experience no matter what :D

But G-Sync still requires extra hardware :(  It would be great if both AMD and Nvidia has access to each other's assets though, this seems like quite a step forward with AMD sharing Mantle.

In the end we will see what mantle can do or not... when it is really that good then I'm sure nVidia will jump as well on the train, because the door is wide open now. I don't know if they have to change the structure of their cards and whatnot but anyway I can see already the Fanboy-Bashing comming up and the rage from the AMD lovers that it won't be exclusively for AMD :) .

The developers don't want 1 particular thing (this is why DICE comes up with mantle API and not AMD), that they have to program their games not only for multiple platforms but also for multiple structures for 1 certain platform...

This will stay interesting ;) .

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

What is Garden Warfare?

But G-Sync still requires extra hardware :(  It would be great if both AMD and Nvidia has access to each other's assets though, this seems like quite a step forward with AMD sharing Mantle.

It'd be equivalent exchange (Too much full metal alchemist) I'll take your Mantle and raise you a G-sync!

THIS:

Maybe we will see Mantle on Nvidia GPUs???

Nope. Unless we see that $$$

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

THIS:

That would be nice to see but I doubt it.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

THIS:

Perhaps http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/75866-mantle-not-restricted-to-gcn/ We'll have to wait and see what happens with Mantle next.

What is Garden Warfare?

New Plants vs Zombies game running on Frostbite 3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plants_vs._Zombies:_Garden_Warfare

This was confirmed today during Johann Andersson's keynote.
Mantle is already compatible with "most" modern GPUs, from both vendors.

AMD is hinting again that it's open to the idea of Nvidia adding Mantle support to its architecture.
According to Johann Andersson, even without the low-level architecture-specific optimizations Mantle would end up being significantly faster than current DX & OpenGL APIs.

Mantle does not only improve performance but it allows for new techniques for various rendering methods including lighting & Anti Aliasing that would essentially result in a crisp clear image with no jagged lines and almost at no performance penalty.

As far as AMD is concerned the cards are on the table & it's Nvidia's move now.
Untitled11.jpg

Source