Mantle not restricted to GCN

Jamdude

source?

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

76604.jpg

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Beat you  :P

Sneaky with the post edit ;D

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

The first is not a news item, the second is just a general summation of the entire Mantle Keynote.

The first is not a news item, the second is just a general summation of the entire Mantle Keynote.

What makes your a 'news item' then?  You're giving the same information.

We don't need a new thread to discuss what's already a piece of another thread though.

We don't but Linus & most folks do, I posted this hoping that Linus or Luke would read it, I don't expect them to really care for most of what Johann has talked about in his keynote (which is what the other thread summarizes) as most of it is highly technical.

We don't but Linus does, I posted this hoping that Linus or Luke would read it, I don't expect them to really care for most of what Johann has talked about in his keynote as most of it is highly technical.

You think it would help having multiple threads about the same information?  AMD will probably summarise the Summit and Linus will source the information from there or another website to read more in to it.

I hope they do it, but nvidia has been stubborn about cooperation so idk.

"The internet is a series of tubes"

G-sync with AMD plz.

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

in an ideal world Nvidia would accept mantle with open arms and they would allow AMD GPU's to use technologies like G-Sync for free. 

Oh god yes. Please let this happen!

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

wait its not tied to GCN ?

the why is it called "low level"

anyways if works with anything then just throw away Mantle and pour more money on opencl

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

wait its not tied to GCN ?

the why is it called "low level"

anyways if works with anything then just throw away Mantle and pour more money on opencl

Mantle itself isn't Low Level you can add a Low level layer to it for each GPU architecture.

RTX2070OC 

"Will allow their game to properly utilize more than 3 cores.

Explicit control of GPU queues and synchronization to implement your own alternate from rendering, and exotic things like a workstation rendering with 4-8 GPU's which would give you around 20-40 TFlops in one machine while evenly spreading the workload among them, also allow low-latency rendering which would be very useful for VR.

This is great. Both for Intel and AMD. More so AMD. 

Command buffer prediction & flow control and writing.

Shaders can select resources to use without relying on CPU binding.

.... Not knowledgeable enough to understand the benefit.

Same as above. I assume it simply translates to less CPU intensive things.

Will work on both W7 & W8.

Isn't that a given?

Johan wants to see Mantle on Linux, also he said that they are building an opencl/gl extension in FB3.

Awesome. And I figured that too was a given.

In mobile Mantle will let SoC vendors leap frog GL4 and DX11.

Soooo.... more performance for SoC people. Great. Gaming on phones (/joke that is half serious)

MANTLE IS NOT TIED TO GCN.

Cool. So basically, it can be on any architecture, but extensive development has to occur beforehand to give Mantle the low level access it has with GCN. Interesting, but I don't see how that's different from other API's. Can't all API's do that if given enough development time? Or are they not designed to do such a thing?

Code looks closer to PS4 API than DX11.

So you could almost say PS4's API is a derivative or cousin of Mantle? Cool. More performance.

They have been working on it for around 2 months.

... On "it"? What is "it"? Mantle? The code? The PS4 API? 

Whatever it is, it sounds like an absurdly short amount of time to be working on an API or development tool.

Garden Warfare will utilize mantle out of the box with a focus on APU's due to it being an "accessible title".

Epic. Push them APU's AMD. I can see the future. And it's Red.

All FB3 games will utilize mantle."

Old news TBH.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I really hope something like this comes to Nvidia cards, it seems like it's going to be pretty awesome! At least we Nvidia users will have G-sync!

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I really hope something like this comes to Nvidia cards, it seems like it's going to be pretty awesome! At least we Nvidia users will have G-sync!

NVAPI? Nvidia API? It's been around for 2 years (ish)? 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

NVAPI? Nvidia API? It's been around for 2 years (ish)? 

Yes, but has it ever been used in any games? Or made a performance difference?

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Yes, but has it ever been used in any games? Or made a performance difference?

It does actually that is the only reason why Nvidia Cards are on par with AMD because on paper AMD cards are way faster then anyhting that Nvidia has.

NVAPI is built in to the Driver so every game that gets driver support gets a peformance boost from it.

On paper a HD6970 should beat my GTX670 but in reality my GTX670 blows the HD6970 away by a big margin.

Same with the R-290X it's sooo much faster then a TITAN on paper, but in Reallife the peformance diffrence is almost nothing.

Specs wise the HD7970 should be almost on GTX780 level with a 4-5Fps diffrence!!!!

RTX2070OC 

Did i see they plan for decent scaling past 2 gpus?!?!? can t wait for 7 single slot watwercooled 290s in a rig...

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Sooo..... Performance numbers?

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB