Patent war heating up again, Android directly targeted

silberdrachi

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/10/patent-war-goes-nuclear-microsoft-apple-owned-rockstar-sues-google/

Patent war goes nuclear: Microsoft, Apple-owned “Rockstar” sues Google

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Rockstar used patents

its super effective

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I love how these companies have to resort to patent disputes to kill Android rather than making a more innovational product.

So it has begun... This only drives me to further support Android over Windows/iOS though, how pathetic to collaborate and try to take down competition.

Hope the Government might intervene to take out Rockstar because this is more or less ' "abusing" the system' for anti-competitive bullshit.

If this and the capacitive touch screen things go through, Android is in big trouble

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Why can't everybody just pay those fees? Don't they earn enough?

Rockstar is not a "patent privateer". It's a consortium that was made so the involved companies could share the patents. Someone really hates here ...

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

I hate how so many older patents are so incredibly vague that they could apply to a billion substantially different things.

Same deal as before, just now's the tidal wave

Why can't everybody just pay those fees? Don't they earn enough?

Rockstar is not a "patent privateer". It's a consortium that was made so the involved companies could share the patents. Someone really hates here ...

Its a company that was specifically made to get through some loopholes that are in the agreements between a few of the companies to not sue over certian patents. The CEO was quoted to say that those agreements dont apply to them because they believe themselves to be an entirely different company instead of a subsidiary. Patent privateers are essentially companies that produce no products but buy up patents in bulk and sue other companies, isnt that exactly what they are doing?

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

If this and the capacitive touch screen things go through, Android is in big trouble

It might be but I can't see how they could be sued for that, capacitive touch screen s have been around for a long time, and I think multi touch screens were first developed in 83.

There was once upon a time when companies became successful and sold lots because they made the best products at the best prices, Nowadays they want to corner the market with litigation so they can screw the consumer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Man Android might be in trouble if these patents hold true in court.  Maybe the gov. step in soon and stop some of the ridiculous ones.  A world without Android would suck (though a BB10 user, I have my Shield and my tablet).  Android is the future!

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Wow.

Talk about a scummy tactic to try and take down Android.

There is no way the US would allow this madness, would they?

Everyone involved needs a slap in the face, and told to grow the fuck up...

They need to make intellectual property non-transferable or something, you can buy a company and will receive its patents but you must continue running said company, otherwise you loose the patents.

STOP WASTING YOUR FUCKING MONEY INTO LAWYERS AND LAWSUITS AND PUT INTO PROPER R&D FFS!!!!!

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

So what, now they want to take Android out?

This is ridiculous.

This surprised me from Microsofts side. I wanted to buy an RT but those spineless shits can forget it now

And I would never ever use IOS either way.

What are u all complaining about if google had of bought the patents they would of done the same to Microsoft and Apple quit fanboying there companies there all the same some just use sneaky tactics to hide who they really are I wouldn't be so proud of google look what they are doing with the YouTube app on windows phone there all the same -_-