YouTube wants to compete with Netflix

PCBjon

Looks like YouTube are expanding their horizons by competing with Netflix.

YouTube Red launched a few weeks ago and offers ad-free YouTube, offline playback, and background music video playback for $9.99 per month. YouTube is developing exclusive original series for the service with some of its homegrown stars like "PewDiePie," but now it apparently wants to add professional TV shows and movies to the mix, putting it in competition with Netflix.

Source:    http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2015/12/youtube-wants-to-compete-with-netflix-seeks-movie-and-tv-show-deals/

YouTube must be really needing the money badly or else their trying to be the biggest media channel. Either way I'm sure more competition is good right?

RedTube may actually be a viable purchase now.

I mean YouTube Red.

Who the fuck thought of that name

Oh we know what you mean :P

If YouTube adds movies and TV shows (good ones, not just the shit stuff) I would actually buy Red. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

So basically Google Play's Music Streaming but for Google Play Movies and TV but not on Google play and instead Youtube... kden Google...

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Would be cool if it could bypass all those region locks. Google probably is able to get through the law some way with all their influence right? Youtube Red would then be an awesome bundle of video streaming and music streaming.

I say the only way for Google to make it a hit is to have an all in one service for 9.99 a month music.tv shows/movies and the normal YouTube stuff.

competing with Netflix!? are they serious?!

I find it laughable; YouTube has no content even remotely to the quality of the likes of Marvel's Daredevil or Marvel's Jessica Jones; even Amazon has Hand of God and The Man in The High Castle

I find it laughable; YouTube has no content even remotely to the quality of the likes of Marvel's Daredevil or Marvel's Jessica Jones; even Amazon has Hand of God and The Man in The High Castle

I thought the same thing but remember Google has the funds and marketing hell even the infrastructure to pull this off and sign up the big shows when it comes to contract renewal. Id say it wont be soon but I'll give Google a chance.

I honestly think Google is overreaching here and has their priorities messed up. They should be making YouTube good again, fixing the issues we've been having for years with their crappy UI and stupid DMCA system.

I'm not paying for YouTube Red until they fix their biggest glaring issues. I've found myself watching Twitch more than YouTube lately which is pretty sad.

I thought the same thing but remember Google has the funds and marketing hell even the infrastructure to pull this off and sign up the big shows when it comes to contract renewal. Id say it wont be soon but I'll give Google a chance.

truckloads of money doesn't equal good content, actual shows that will make you subs to red tube in addition to what you might already have (Netflix)

I have HBO Go, but I barely (to be read none) use it outside of the few shows I follow

do they hope other established broadcast channels will release their shows on cable and YTR?! didn't they tried that already .. and failed

And you think Netflix just magically had quality like that?  Everyone starts somewhere.  Youtube has more than enough money to attract talent and the infrastructure to roll out in a massive scale.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

And you think Netflix just magically had quality like that?  Everyone starts somewhere.  Youtube has more than enough money to attract talent and the infrastructure to roll out in a massive scale.

no, they didn't; but YT/google already tried and failed once

Netflix's originals aren't all good, some cater to specific audience some don't

also NetFlix started by offering DVDs and streaming those said DVDs over the internet; YT offers none of that

also NetFlix started by offering DVDs and streaming those said DVDs over the internet; YT offers none of that

YouTube gave us Linus Tech Tips didn't they :)

I honestly think Google is overreaching here and has their priorities messed up. They should be making YouTube good again, fixing the issues we've been having for years with their crappy UI and stupid DMCA system.

I'm not paying for YouTube Red until they fix their biggest glaring issues. I've found myself watching Twitch more than YouTube lately which is pretty sad.

Actually they are. They aren't letting just robots do it for them, they started to actually review DMCA's and seeing and watching the video. Then rolling out a statement before either keeping the DMCA active or refuting the DMCA and allowing the video back up.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

YouTube gave us Linus Tech Tips didn't they :)

YT gave us nothing, Linus went and published videos on YT ;)

Instead of movies, they'll be offering tonnes of shitty vlogs and pranks. 'original' youtube production

So they should just...give up?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

YT gave us nothing, Linus went and published videos on YT ;)

My point exactly.

If they added tv shows and movies to the already existing price then i would be on it immediately !

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Here's my take: Youtube won't have anywhere near as vast a collection. Adding TV shows is basically a stop-gap solution while more people gets used to

1) Youtube videos and
2) Exclusive red content

The reality is that I only see Netflix being really popular with adults right now, as time passes younger people will get more and more used to just youtube style content instead of full blown tv shows. They just need to make sure they have something to offer to TV viewers to get em on youtube not necessarily to surpass Netflix or Amazon prime or whomever. 

-------

Current Rig

-------