Sony unlocks PS4's 7th Processing Core for developers.

A lot of developers would just use the extra power to get better effects at 30FPS

This would have been great. NVidia and AMD would have actually had to try and make even better GPUs to cope up with the better graphics. Profit?

There are only so many effects that you can add, or in fact that are actually needed at all to make a game look good.

This is totally 100% false. countless effects that can be added created or has been created that isn't used in games yet.

Have you seen a pixar movie since ever? They use effects that would take hundreds, if not thousands of hours to render a single frame on a consumer grade GPU, there is always more that devs can add to games untill they look like Frozen or Inside Out.

This would have been great. NVidia and AMD would have actually had to try and make even better GPUs to cope up with the better graphics. Profit?

Honestly i'd be totally glad, i just don't like the delusion that a little better performance would mean every console game would run at 1080 60 when developers choose 30 over 60 9/10 times.

I would have much rather had more powerful 600$ consoles, but i don't think you can argue with the numbers, and the numbers say the PS4 is the fastest selling console of all time. it took the wii 4 years to reach 30m units. its sold almost 1/4 of the lifetime sales of the PS2 in just over two years. The xbox one is behind, but its selling faster than the xbox 360 before it.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

This is totally 100% false. countless effects that can be added created or has been created that isn't used in games yet.

Have you seen a pixar movie since ever? They use effects that would take hundreds, if not thousands of hours to render a single frame on a consumer grade GPU, there is always more that devs can add to games untill they look like Frozen or Inside Out.

Honestly i'd be totally glad, i just don't like the delusion that a little better performance would mean every console game would run at 1080 60 when developers choose 30 over 60 9/10 times.

I would have much rather had more powerful 600$ consoles, but i don't think you can argue with the numbers, and the numbers say the PS4 is the fastest selling console of all time. it took the wii 4 years to reach 30m units. its sold almost 1/4 of the lifetime sales of the PS2 in just over two years. The xbox one is behind, but its selling faster than the xbox 360 before it.

And guess what? Those effects are finite.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Have you seen a pixar movie since ever? They use effects that would take hundreds, if not thousands of hours to render a single frame on a consumer grade GPU, there is always more that devs can add to games untill they look like Frozen or Inside Out.

Can game developers include all of those effects in a game? Aren't there limitations other than raw hardware performance?

I just want AMD to do an awesome job with the Bristol Ridge APUs. Just so that APUs can actually run the next gen games at decent FPS with quality graphics. HBM will play a huge part in making this possible.

And guess what? Those effects are finite.

No, they aren't but regardless, until our pcs are 1000x faster we wont run out of them, so do you suspect that will happen in our lifetimes?

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

While I don't think it will make a huge difference, perhaps it will help with more steady framerate. Anything helps.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

In the world of gaming, exclusives matter more to most people than "pretty graphics". Stop trying to initiate a console vs pc war. We've seen enough of them and quite frankly, it's getting old.

Trying to initiate a war is precisely what I'm not trying to do. I'm merely stating my prediction that "console killer" PCs will still, well, kill consoles and that this extra core will not suddenly make the PS4 more powerful than similarly priced PCs. It will close the gap with the XBOne, but that's about it.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

So in theory this could be UP TO 12.5% faster. But the laws of physics will say around 5% probably.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

So in theory this could be UP TO 12.5% faster. But the laws of physics will say around 5% probably.

damn yea dude. 

laws of physics ain't nothing but a bitch.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

that means fuckall. Population increases and the quantity of gamers has increased significantly too. The world population in 2006 was 6,593,227,977, in 2015 it's around 7,324,782,225. FYI that's an increase of over 10%. or 731 554 248 new people on earth.

that means fuckall. Population increases and the quantity of gamers has increased significantly too. The world population in 2006 was

6,593,227,977, in 2015 it's around

7,324,782,225. FYI that's an increase of over 10%. or 731 554 248 new people on earth.

In fucking India and Africa, look at population increase in Europe US CAN, you'll see first world countries are barely increasing.

Sony and MS made the right choice dropping the price to 400 at launch

Can game developers include all of those effects in a game? Aren't there limitations other than raw hardware performance?

I just want AMD to do an awesome job with the Bristol Ridge APUs. Just so that APUs can actually run the next gen games at decent FPS with quality graphics. HBM will play a huge part in making this possible.

It's an example, the other guy thinks there are finite things that can be put in games, that's pretty adult

I don't believe HBM is practical on APUs as it's very expensive and I doubt people will buy them in spades at 400$.

It will make a big splash in mobile though

In fucking India and Africa, look at population increase in Europe US CAN, you'll see first world countries are barely increasing.

Sony and MS made the right choice dropping the price to 400 at launch

The population of Canada went from 32  million to 35 million in that time span. An increase of ~10% in 7  years since last stats are from 2013

The population of the USA has grown from 298 millions to 319 millions or ~7% in 8 years since last stats are from 2014

You're right about Europe but it's still not a clear cutthroat picture. Norway's population is growing at a rate of 1.2% per year, France and the UK about 0.5% per year. There's still many millions of gamer more per year then there was in 2006, in 1996, 1986, etc.

Console sales have been unbanned in China which hasnt been the case for any other consoles prior to the Xbone, PS4 and WiiU. The PS4 just happens to be the best console at this time.

The population of Canada went from 32  million to 35 million in that time span. An increase of ~10% in 7  years since last stats are from 2013

The population of the USA has grown from 298 millions to 319 millions or ~7% in 8 years since last stats are from 2014

You're right about Europe but it's still not a clear cutthroat picture. Norway's population is growing at a rate of 1.2% per year, France and the UK about 0.5% per year. There's still many millions of gamer more per year then there was in 2006, in 1996, 1986, etc.

Console sales have been unbanned in China which hasnt been the case for any other consoles prior to the Xbone, PS4 and WiiU. The PS4 just happens to be the best console at this time.

a 10% increase in population doesn't account for a nearly 5x the PS3s Sales after two years on the market, and selling 30million two years faster than the wii.

It's not the fastest selling console in history because of population increase. It's because people really like it, and they picked a more appealing price point.

It could stand to outsell the PS2 in lifetime sales and the PS2 launched with the height of the economic upturn before the recession. 

Console sales have been unbanned in China

it was a "ban" not a ban, Consoles were on store shelves in china . besides sales aren't even going all that well because china hates paying for games just like russia, they steal and play F2P almost exclusively

it was a "ban" not a ban, Consoles were on store shelves in china . besides sales aren't even going all that well because china hates paying for games just like russia, they steal and play F2P almost exclusively

Do you want some dressing to go with your racist sidedish? The fact remains that consoles were banned, even if it was not enforced. Tobacco is illegal before 18 in Canada, I doubt if a cop caught a teenager smoke they'd seize it. It doesnt mean you can just walk into any store and buy cigarettes. You have to use the black market. Also did PSN and Xbox Live even work in China? 

Do you want some dressing to go with your racist sidedish? The fact remains that consoles were banned, even if it was not enforced. Tobacco is illegal before 18 in Canada, I doubt if a cop caught a teenager smoke they'd seize it. It doesnt mean you can just walk into any store and buy cigarettes. You have to use the black market. Also did PSN and Xbox Live even work in China? 

Rascist? no, piracy is rampant in China and Russia, that's why there are so many specifically made for them free to play games. like call of duty online, halo online, the planned borderlands mmo, the Gits games, it goes on and on, consoles are failing there because they have to actually pay for that stuff. i have no problem with the Chinese people

And yes if a 15 year old was smoking a police officer would sieze it, ive seen that. Consoles were not illegal in china, its just glorious china didn't want to admit fascist capitalists made fun toys.

You got that backwards. The GPU in the PS4 is really powerful. You just have to compromise a lot of things to make up for the lack of CPU power.

the GPU in the PS4 is not really powerful its lowerend- mid range at best when compared to graphics performance thats available now... i would say all this changes is help the few Drop in frames not drop as much as they do its not like the CPU is holding it back from running 1080p 60fps or running games at a much higher detail at all its pretty closely matched with the GPU if the game is developed to run on all cores well. 

the GPU in the PS4 is not really powerful its lowerend- mid range at best when compared to graphics performance thats available now...

Hmm, at the very least it is mid range, borrowing design aspects from the higher range. It has the same 8 ACE setup as the 290x and elements of TrueAudio.

so this means the 30 fps games can  be 32 fps now? LOL

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Hmm, at the very least it is mid range, borrowing design aspects from the higher range. It has the same 8 ACE setup as the 290x and elements of TrueAudio.

it's nothing close to a 290x, a 270 has ~10% more stream processors than a PS4 does for crying out loud. and while not a GCN card, an HD6850 has the same number of stream processors as an XB1 iirc. these consoles are not powerful in any respect..

it's nothing close to a 290x, a 270 has ~10% more stream processors than a PS4 does for crying out loud. and while not a GCN card, an HD6850 has the same number of stream processors as an XB1 iirc. these consoles are not powerful in any respect..

I said it has the same ACE setup as the 290x...

http://www.eteknix.com/playstation-4-amd-radeon-r9-290x-gpu-share-8-asynchronous-compute-engines/

http://gamenmotion.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/playstation-4-amd-radeon-r9-290x-gpu.html

This allows the ps4 to have the same fine grain compute control as the 290x and its what every one was raving about with Ashes of the Singularity. Also going to be rather important for their VR venture.

Actual power wise... looking at something between a 7850 and 7870. Lower clock than the 7870 but more stream processors than the 7850 and access to more RAM than either of the GPUs had.

-snip-

Wait, really? I thought this was a troll thing when the articles started coming in from PS4POWER.com lol. I guess a core 2 duo from 10 years ago will have some competition.

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000