Snapdragon 820 official graphics details

jos

Snapdragon 820 is expected to be the first chip to feature a custom 64-bit core by Qualcomm. It comes with Adreno 530 GPU

graphics performance of the Adreno 530 GPU in the Snapdragon 820 is "40% increase". This is the average advantage gained over the Adreno 430 GPU in the Snapdragon 810, when looking at averages of top graphics benchmarks. At the same time this 40% boost in performance comes with a sweet 40% drop in power usage thanks to new power gating that allows the GPU to go faster to idle modes and save energy. In terms of APIs, the Adreno 530 will support OpenGL ES 3.1 and the Android Extension Pack. On some platforms, support for the newer OpenGL ES 3.2 and Renderscript for GPGPU processing advantages. the new chip will be able to output to 4K monitors with a 60 frames per second speeds (via HDMI 2.0 support and a wire), and it will also be able to wirelessly stream 4K at 30fps.The new Spectra ISP coming with the Snapdragon 820 allows for better image quality. The ISP can now handle multi-camera setups with up to three sensors working simultaneously, and the maximum supported resolution is 25 megapixels with video recorded at 30fps at max resolution. The more detail-oriented photography enthusiasts should be happy to see enhanced de-mosaicing on the Spectra ISP, as well as improved hybrid auto-focus framework, more natural skin tones, and more.

That is a good performance increase for graphics and with that low power usage, the device will run cooler.. for SD810 GPU was main source of heat...

Source: https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2015/08/12/qualcomm-introduces-next-generation-gpu-architecture-and-image-signal

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Snapdragon-820-official-details-surface-Qualcomm-talks-new-ISP-promises-40-graphics-boost-with-Adreno-530-GPU_id72558

Hmmmm, Snapdragon 820 + 6 Inch 4K displays.

You know what that means:

4K Phablets are coming in 2016!

SD810 occurred because QC wanted to not be left behind the wake of Apple and Samsung in their 64 bit chips and so they rushed bog standard ARM cores instead of their custom Kyro cores. 

820 uses Hydra, Kyro by any other name, so hopefully they should have zero issues going forward. 

Still, QC shouldn't have jumped the gun just to get 64 bit to the market, its kinda screwed over OEMs with just how 'meh' the 810 has been for flagships. 

I posted this back in January and my post was still had more information. Kids so starved for attention on the WAN show with absolutely no respect to quality of posts.

b071d51dfb9c85d11bf038dcb30bf6ef.png

(click for sauce)

I don't know about you guys, but this sounds like the 820 is full of ridiculousness.

How does a true 8-core processor sound in a mobile device? I'd say stupid. I posted about the 820 back in January, talking more in detail about the Snapdragon 820's CPU side, but now we have more information on the included Adreno 530 GPU, as well as confirmation of the SoC's existence.

Many have been keenly looking to the arrival of Qualcomm’s next flagship Snapdragon SoC after the trouble with this generation’s Snapdragon 810. This week, Qualcomm has finally begun officially talking about its upcoming Snapdragon 820. However, the company has just started by talking about its latest Adreno 530 GPU and Spectra ISP that will appear in the chip. We are going to have to wait for details on its new custom ARMv8 CPU design and other components.

As we'd figure we're getting two new GPUs with Qualcomm, the Adreno 530 and 510, the 530 being available to the SD 820 and possibly SD 815, while the Adreno 510 will be available on the SD 618 and 620 SoCs. Performance wise, Qualcomm is claiming a 40% increase in performance and consume 40% less power. As I recall this is being produced on a smaller node than the 810 so I can believe it (14nm vs 20nm, correct me if my information is wrong).

What'll be interesting for users around this forum is that yes, the Adreno 530 will support OpenGL ES 3.1 in Android, the Adreno 530 also supports OpenGL ES 3.2 on other platforms. The tl;dr of it is that the Adreno 530 will be able to run the Vulkan API as well as all of its benefits. Interesting news to say the least. In other similar news the GPU is more capable in GPGPU applications versus previous Adreno 400 series GPUs, but I'd hardly say it's going to matter for just about any user.

It's going to be some time until we see these chips though. I was hoping for maybe 4th quarter of this year, but Qualcomm is expecting release in the 1H of 2016. Oh well.

The first Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 powered smartphones are not expected to land on the market until sometime in the first half of 2016. Until then, we will probably hear more details about Qualcomm’s custom Kryo CPU cores and the other features inside its new flagship mobile SoC.

Oh, and uh... For those who don't know about the CPU inside, you can click the link I posted about my post in January. tl;dr expect to see a true 8-core processor, not using big.LITTLE.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Snip..

In jan it was all leaks and speculation.. this is official announcement..See all leak info are not true.. it is 16nm.. who cares if my post comes in wan show... no ones knows me seeing my profile... Moreover there is nothing special for the person who's post make to WAN show.. news is the highlight not the user.. do you remember any of the person who's post make to wan show...

Moreover there is nothing special for the person who's post make to WAN show.. news is the highlight not the user.. 

I use to use the same excuse back in the day, and boy was a feisty about it. Quoting an article then adding a line of input is quite frankly lazy and does not make articles enjoyable to read, at all. Add some flair, type some more, and you'll hear less moaning from the community. 

COMIC SANS

Are we sure it's octacore? There were rumours they were going back to quad-core for the SD820...

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?