[LEAK] Qualcomm's Snapdragon 820, 14nm, and Octacores!

Suika

I shoulda caught you at just a Snapdragon 820!

Yes, ladies and gentleman, so immediately after getting the Snapdragon 810, leaks of the 820 rise, except, fancy this, it will be running Qualcomm's custom core design with 8 powerful cores, manufactured on a 14nm node! This isn't the big.LITTLE architecture, this is 8, full sized "TS2 high performance" cores. Who needs that kind of productivity on a mobile device? Qualcomm doesn't care! This isn't to mention the Adreno 530 GPU it will be packing, 64-bit CPU cores, and support for LPDDR4, so lots to expect!

In case you're not interested in 8, full powered cores on a mobile device, there will be a Snapdragon 815, which is basically a refresh of the 810 with Qualcomm's custom cores, that weren't ready when the 810 was needed. Much like the 810 except with Qualcomm's core designs, it will feature four TS2 cores and four TS1 cores. This one packs an Adreno 450 GPU, LPDDR4 RAM support, and will be manufactured on the 20nm node instead.

My thoughts? I don't like the octacore approach at all, I've never had more than two apps operating at once, why would I have five or more very demanding apps? The performance gain from 14nm might be interesting but wouldn't fewer, more powerful cores be better (and more efficient)? We'll see how it plays out, especially considering how small the time gap between the 810 and 820 might be if Qualcomm releases it with fewer delays.

Source: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Qualcomm-late-2015-roadmap-leaks-out-14nm-FinFet-Snapdragon-820-surfaces-Taipan-Krait-successor-due_id65010

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Not too surprising. They didn't use their own cores in the 810, so really the 820 will be their first chip.

With Intel pushing hard, I can't wait to see which one actually comes out on top. I know Intel devices will likely be a fair bit cheaper, so they'll really have to bring some performance to the table.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I've always wanted to move to my phone for CAD, HD video editing, 3D animation, and running servers. This is almost as silly as 64-bit at this stage.

Well at least then we can have battery technology improved for phones.

I've always wanted to move to my phone for CAD, HD video editing, 3D animation, and running servers. This is almost as silly as 64-bit at this stage.

Progress is progress. 

Progress is progress. 

Sure, but there are many things that can be improved. If you're only going to make progress in some areas, I'd prefer focusing on the ones that actually matter, and then research the more pointless stuff. All the time and effort spent doing this could have been spent doing something that would actually make a difference.

Sure, but there are many things that can be improved. If you're only going to make progress in some areas, I'd prefer focusing on the ones that actually matter, and then research the more pointless stuff.

Like batteries? :lol:

Like batteries? :lol:

You know, as soon as someone invents a battery that holds twice as much power per volume, instead of making double capacity batteries they're just going to make the batteries half-size and use the extra space for a 12-core or something stupid.

Sure, but there are many things that can be improved. If you're only going to make progress in some areas, I'd prefer focusing on the ones that actually matter, and then research the more pointless stuff. All the time and effort spent doing this could have been spent doing something that would actually make a difference.

I'm not disagreeing. A flagship with a battery that could last 4 days... I need a moment. 

You know, as soon as someone invents a battery that holds twice as much power per volume, instead of making double capacity batteries they're just going to make the batteries half-size and use the extra space for a 12-core or something stupid.

And the sad thing is you're probably correct on that.

I still don't know why people needs phones that powerful, what do people do on them that requires so much processing potential??

I still don't know why people needs phones that powerful, what do people do on them that requires so much processing potential??

Bigger numbers man, bigger numbers...   <_<

I'm not disagreeing. A flagship with a battery that could last 4 days... I need a moment. 

lol. 4 days. that's cute

753656433_319671050_o.jpg

I had one of these last months on a single charge. Could probably go for much longer too.

also, pretty sure this was a flagship at the time ;)

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Blame the consumer, Ask any car salesman, a car with a spoiler will sell twice as easy as a car that only uses 6L/100K and can tow the arse end out of a Kenworth. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

eventually devs will make use of them

maybe google will eventually implement a desktop mode for its phones

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

eventually devs will make use of them

maybe google will eventually implement a desktop mode for its phones

Yea, but by then my 4790k is going to be the processor that operates my shirt collar, and my brothers xeon will be tracking how many steps hes made in his new nike footrackerstacker 4.0

I think we need to do the opposite.

First they need to focus on components that are better suited for low power consumption and improve on the current battery design.

We need to fine tune encoders/decoders as well as create a better (higher speed, lower latency, and lower cost) wireless internet infrastructure.

Rather than having stronger mobile devices we need a better infrastructure surrounding cloud computing.

Whether it means offloading to a computer at home (like Gamestream but for all computing done on the phone) or offloading to a server you're renting (GRID).

That way you could buy a cheap phone/tablet/laptop once every 3-5 (or more) years (like the Monitor or Camera market) when they make something innovative

Better Screen Better Battery Life  Better Camera Better Speakers

You'd just spend a larger amount initially on a strong computer/server if you don't already have one or rent a server out.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Or we can put Intel Desktop CPU's inside phones and be done with it.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

You know a phone with this chip is going to have a 4k screen as well because we simply need bigger numbers!!

youre just going to have to keep this thing plugged into the wall at all times

Or we can put Intel Desktop CPU's inside phones and be done with it.

I'm not sure if you're joking so I'm gonna assume you're not.

By the time you can get a processor on the scale of a 4790(K) in your phone there'll be a processor that will be many magnitudes faster on desktop.

If we switch to cloud computing we can stop wasting space in the phone on more powerful specifications and use it on a larger and more efficient battery to eventually give us the same battery life we had on non-smart phones.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552