Sprint Adds 600Kbps Limit on Video Streams on "Unlimited" Plans

EChondo

Source: http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-seeks-to-end-consumer-confusion-frustration-with-wireless-industrys-first-ever-all-in-pricing-plan.htm?view_id=6791

To improve data experience for the majority of users, throughput may be limited, varied or reduced on the network. Streaming video speeds will be limited to 600Kbps at all times, which may impact quality. Sprint may terminate service if off-network roaming usage in a month exceeds: (1) 800 min. or a majority of min.; or (2) 100MB or a majority of KB. Prohibited network use rules apply—see sprint.com/termsandconditions.

Well I hope the FCC brings down the hammer on this stupidity.

Didn't AT&T get slammed with a multi-million dollar fine for doing the same thing just a few weeks ago?

I read this earlier. At least the throttled speeds are only when streaming video, but still though, a lot of people with unlimited plans love to stream video...

Honestly, Sprint, just be all in or all out. They really do have a lot of potential with their network, but they fail to do anything good with it, and that's a real shame.

COMIC SANS

lololol rip trying to watch twitch on phones im glad tmobile only does this after 21gbs of data **looks down 42gb this month**  still haven't been throttled at all

freaking scum. 

How they think they can get away with this is absurd.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

lololol rip trying to watch twitch on phones im glad tmobile only does this after 21gbs of data **looks down 42gb this month**  still haven't been throttled at all

I've been over that 21GB limit a couple times. I have yet to be throttled as well. 

COMIC SANS

lol that would cost me $410 :(

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

600KB/s is not enough to get out of bed for... let alone thats all you can stream video with.

POWER USER!!!!!

/Its pretty fucking disgusting they can do this... "We care, about your wallet"

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I've been over that 21GB limit a couple times. I have yet to be throttled as well. 

Same, maybe it's because I am running cm12.1 and not the stock rom on my sprint s5?

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

600KB/s is not enough to get out of bed for... let alone thats all you can stream video with.

It's not KB/s, it's Kbps.

If you want to know the speed in KB/s, it's 75KB/s.

Or, if you want to know what that is in MB/s, 75KB/s is 0.08MB/s.

Lol, sorry about that bud. I saw this on Google news and then saw it wasn't posted here, so I thought I'd do it while I still can!

I didn't see that Sprint reversed their decision until after I read your thread. I'm just as surprised as you are to be honest! Oh Sprint, you make me laugh...

COMIC SANS

It's not KB/s, it's Kbps.

If you want to know the speed in KB/s, it's 75KB/s.

Or, if you want to know what that is in MB/s, 75KB/s is 0.08MB/s.

Oh wow, misread, thats obscene!!!!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Oh wow, misread, thats obscene!!!!

Well now you don't even have to worry about it! They just reversed the decision, but there's still some limiting due to "congestion" lol.

Well now you don't even have to worry about it! They just reversed the decision, but there's still some limiting due to "congestion" lol.

Congestion.. that ol'chestnut

Plus traffic re-routing, Oh no.. thats congestion too :P

Same, maybe it's because I am running cm12.1 and not the stock rom on my sprint s5?

Honestly I think that's why. 

On a related note, when I went to Europe a few months ago, of course I used the free texting/data roaming with TMo. I also called a few people while over there. My bill for that month should have gone up a few dollars, but it never did. I thought maybe it'll add on next month. Never did. If this is what CM does, I'm quite enjoying it. 

COMIC SANS

Honestly I think that's why. 

On a related note, when I went to Europe a few months ago, of course I used the free texting/data roaming with TMo. I also called a few people while over there. My bill for that month should have gone up a few dollars, but it never did. I thought maybe it'll add on next month. Never did. If this is what CM does, I'm quite enjoying it. 

Guys, It's not a cap. You get de-prioritized if you are over 21GB while the tower you're on is heavily congested, and even then it's not necessarily to 2G speeds so you might not even notice depending on what you're doing.

Guys, It's not a cap. You get de-prioritized if you are over 21GB while the tower you're on is heavily congested, and even then it's not necessarily to 2G speeds so you might not even notice depending on what you're doing.

I do the same stuff I do on my pc on my phone..... small youtube, with twitch going, plus a browser, teamspeak with skype chat and what ever else I was doing on my phone

I do the same stuff I do on my pc on my phone..... small youtube, with twitch going, plus a browser, teamspeak with skype chat and what ever else I was doing on my phone

Then you're not in an area where your tower gets congested. Simple.

Then you're not in an area where your tower gets congested. Simple.

LA/San Jose doesn't make sense

this why I left sprint.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4