Sprint drops its 600kbps data throttle on video streaming, but there's a catch

TopWargamer

Source: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/06/30/sprint-already-dropped-that-ridiculous-video-streaming-throttling-from-its-new-all-in-plan/

Well that was fast. This morning Sprint announced a "revamped" unlimited data plan that runs on their "quality network" with their "superb speeds." The only downside to that plan was that unlimited data users would be throttled to 600kbps while streaming video, which is absurd. You can't stream anything with that. 

Well luckily the Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure heard our cries. Sprint removed the 600kbps throttling while streaming video not even a full day after the announcement, BUT there is a catch. While this limit is removed, Sprint will still throttle unlimited data customers when congestion on their network becomes too much. 

Here's what the Sprint CEO had to say on the matter:

“At Sprint, we strive to provide customers a great experience when using our network,” said Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure. “We heard you loud and clear, and we are removing the 600 kbps limitation on streaming video.”

“During certain times, like other wireless carriers, we might have to manage the network in order to reduce congestion and provide a better customer experience for the majority of our customers.”

Yay...?

COMIC SANS

Source: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/06/30/sprint-already-dropped-that-ridiculous-video-streaming-throttling-from-its-new-all-in-plan/

Well that was fast. This morning Sprint announced a "revamped" unlimited data plan that runs on their "quality network" with their "superb speeds." The only downside to that plan was that unlimited data users would be throttled to 600kbps while streaming video, which is absurd. You can't stream anything with that. 

Well luckily the Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure heard our cries. Sprint removed the 600kbps throttling while streaming video. BUT there is a catch. While this limit is removed, Sprint will still throttle unlimited data customers when congestion on their network becomes too much. 

Here's what the Sprint CEO had to say on the matter:

Yay...?

That's not a catch. That's them saying we wont give you all the bandwidth if it means screwing over the other 35 people in the same building as you just because you asked for it first. They really can't give bandwidth they don't have in congested areas.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

God damn can they make up their minds!?

I hope this will make it onto the WAN show, this is just too good!

Both threads on WAN Show, please. That'll make the laughs even better!

"We at Sprint love our customers, which is why we're going to screw them over, then play nice, but then ultimately screw them over anyways." 

COMIC SANS

What exactly do you expect them to do offer unlimited data and not do any throttling so when there are more than a few dozen people near the same tower it just slows everything to a crawl?

It is not possible to not throttle a network and keep the high speed data working well for everyone unless you have a lot of bands. Sprint does not have a lot of bands they get to work with.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

What exactly do you expect them to do offer unlimited data and not do any throttling so when there are more than a few dozen people near the same tower it just slows everything to a crawl?

It is not possible to not throttle a network and keep the high speed data working well for everyone unless you have a lot of bands. Sprint does not have a lot of bands they get to work with.

Which is why they need to upgrade their network. If anything they could refarm their CDMA network to LTE. Verizon, AT&T (with GSM), and T-Mobile (with GSM) are doing the same thing. Sprint wouldn't even have to build new towers. They would just have to upgrade existing ones.

COMIC SANS

They're secretly saying "We suck."

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Which is why they need to upgrade their network. If anything they could refarm their CDMA network to LTE. Verizon, AT&T (with GSM), and T-Mobile (with GSM) are doing the same thing. Sprint wouldn't even have to build new towers. They would just have to upgrade existing ones.

They have been updateding their CDMA network for LTE for ages (at least up here in the north east) my LTE enabled area has expanded a lot in the last 2 years.

Sprint's biggest problem (along with Tmobile) is that they keep getting out bid for spectrum by Verizon and AT&T. It dosn't help that when they tried a joint bid they got shot down for it being "anti competitive" (which is utter bullshit)

Seems like they are just complying legally and using another excuse to re-throttle  ._.

I have a feeling sprint is gunna pull some BS about over congestion when there really isn't any 

That's not a catch. That's them saying we wont give you all the bandwidth if it means screwing over the other 35 people in the same building as you just because you asked for it first. They really can't give bandwidth they don't have in congested areas.

the question then becomes why did they sell what they did not have?

the question then becomes why did they sell what they did not have?

the term you looking for is called overselling

go look it up

this is common practices in digital distribution/telecom

because demand, and supply always fluctuated

and also good strategy if company can keep up with rapid growth, however in this case (and many other) isn't.

Then why are they selling that bandwith to you. if they cant provide what they are selling, they should be taken to court over fraud. end of debate

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Seems reasonable to me? It just means all the money you pay them each month goes towards fuck all to build better infrastructure :)

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Then why are they selling that bandwith to you. if they cant provide what they are selling, they should be taken to court over fraud. end of debate

No. They shouldn't be held liable for network congestion it situations like CES or any time where a lot of people go someplace that is usually unpopular you cannot expect anyone to invest that much in infrastructure that wont be used 90% of the time.

No. They shouldn't be held liable for network congestion it situations like CES or any time where a lot of people go someplace that is usually unpopular you cannot expect anyone to invest that much in infrastructure that wont be used 90% of the time.

Im talking when you are paying for XMbps in a city, and they cant deliver it during times when everyone is online (you know the times when you want them to actually deliver it). Then they shouldnt be providing that speed.

An analogy. Say you subscribe to a pizza delivery place. they advertise pizza on demand, anytime you want. will come hot in 10 minutes. but then when you actually want pizza (lets say 8pm when everyone else also wants pizza) then you cant get it hot in 10 minutes because they have too little delivery drivers. In that case, they should either hire more delivery guys (upgrade the network) or stop selling the service. I dont give a fuck if i can get a hot fresh pizza at 2pm when i just had lunch (or good internet when im at work) because then im not using it. 

I want my advertised speeds when i use the service, not when i dont give a shit about it because im somewhere else anyway.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Im talking when you are paying for XMbps in a city, and they cant deliver it during times when everyone is online (you know the times when you want them to actually deliver it). Then they shouldnt be providing that speed.

An analogy. Say you subscribe to a pizza delivery place. they advertise pizza on demand, anytime you want. will come hot in 10 minutes. but then when you actually want pizza (lets say 8pm when everyone else also wants pizza) then you cant get it hot in 10 minutes because they have too little delivery drivers. In that case, they should either hire more delivery guys (upgrade the network) or stop selling the service. I dont give a fuck if i can get a hot fresh pizza at 2pm when i just had lunch (or good internet when im at work) because then im not using it. 

I want my advertised speeds when i use the service, not when i dont give a shit about it because im somewhere else anyway.

For fixed line internet I agree

For mobile data not so much.

In your pizza scenario its like you keep moving the delivery point throughout the day and then complain when your pizza gets there slow . why didn't he know I order that exact item instead of one of the few hundred other people here who also ordered pizza.

also at least here no one promises a number for the speed just a connection to their "fast" 4g LTE network.

For fixed line internet I agree

For mobile data not so much.

In your pizza scenario its like you keep moving the delivery point throughout the day and then complain when your pizza gets there slow . why didn't he know I order that exact item instead of one of the few hundred other people here who also ordered pizza.

also at least here no one promises a number for the speed just a connection to their "fast" 4g LTE network.

No because there is almost no noticable packet loss with moving around on a mobile network, assuming its properly set up. This is where my analogy isnt good. since its extremly easy to beam traffic over the air, much easier than beaming pizza through the road network

translation: we will still throttle. but it'll be a hush hush operation.

feel like your speeds aren't what you're paying for? oh, thats just our network congested, dw, should be over soon :)

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

It's impossible to fully avoid mobile network congestion on high load without having it unreasonably huge service level in the area

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Cathc inside a catch inside a catch... Catchseption. These guys don't know what they want themselves.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

If they can't provide some speed that they are selling people than they shouldn't sell it at all. That can be understood as a scam. "We'll sell them that but they won't be able to get it always". Unless there are small letters on the agreement, then that's just making fools out of their customers.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

From day 2 of having my Sprint Photon 4g YEARS ago, I have NEVER been throttled when doing anything with service. Do they only slow down stock phones? I had my old photon rooted and my new s5 is running cm12.1 and I wonder if that has anything to do with them not throttling me. I don't use more than 5-6 GB a month on my phone, but I also tether it to my laptop and download large games every month.

Although they have never throttled me, their network coverage goes from 35-45Mbps one neighborhood over to 10-15Mbps at my house xD

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) |