New Render Farm featuring 72 CPU Threads

The title should be "how to half ass with enterprise level hardware".

Linus needs a channel dedicated to his half ass builds. Channel super fun is boring, channel half ass could be entertaining. 

Oh my god.. I had to make sure to see part 2 on Vessel that you did not broke anything otherwise I would not be even able to go sleep today :D

Could you possibly try to see what kind of performance you get in corel painter with the oil/watercolor simulation brushes working on large resolution files? I'd like to know how many threads the software can utilize, as it's really difficult to get running well.

This was the scariest LTT vid I've ever watched.

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

So... now that the thing is actually working, I gotta know if it can run Crysis. Cuz my PC at home actually can't.....

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Why the fuck would you ghetto mount heatsinks to 4500$ CPUs? I mean come on! I dont even know what to say...

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

I love how LMG wants to be all professional with their videos nowadays but behind the scenes everything is still held together with zip-ties, double-sided tape and other "do as I say not as I do" solutions.

Ghetto mounting heatsinks to cool 2 $4500 cpus, Scratching motherboard, Using $2000 worth of gpus as paper weight and run one cpu without heatsink.... We love ya Linus.
GG

From part 1...

I know it's part of the style of LTT to do some crazy stuff, but it's much worse when they are doing this to hardware they actually need to use for their business. It would see wasteful if they had wrecked those components especially when they are always asking for fan support. This isn't will it blend.

Also in general, would seeing their boss being so cavalier with components lead to employee carelessness? Is there any kind of meeting where Linus spells out that while he may do it for the show, they (employees) shouldn't be careless with the equipment?

I must know what song is playing at about the 3:00 mark

Tried the songs in the description, couldn't figure out which one it was.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

>Removing CPU tray and DIY heatsink bracket from a server motherboard with zip-ties

>Toying with $4500 CPU 

>Use $2000 worth of GPUs as a counter balance

#firstworldproblematitsbest

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

"So we saw banacules was happy with his dual zeon SLI 980 64GB ram setup, and we just couldnt resist to one up it into orbit"

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

All commercial grade server motherboards that I have worked with on a google project boot automatically once plugged in and had no on/off or reset switches . . . 

Be aware that it can cause problems if your OS runs auto updates first thing. If the power goes out then comes back on just long enough for auto updates to run and goes out then you are gonna have a bad day. Like coming in on a monday after a three day holiday weekend to find 40 production servers with corrupted OSs kind of bad day . . .

Can't wait till more parts comes out, love it!

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

While this is entertaining, I do wonder what Linus' suppliers and sponsors think of these ghetto builds.  At the very least he should have a pretty strong disclaimer somewhere.  That motherboard and CPU's are over $10K worth of PC power (not to mention the titans).

Xeon E3-1241 @3.9GHz, 1.07V | Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1 | G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 | MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB @1350MHz/2150MHz, 1.09V/.975V | Crucial MX100 256GB | WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM | EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold | CM Hyper 212+ w/ Noctua F12 | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Windows 10 Retail

@LinusTech Wouldn't the zip ties melt with the heat?

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

I'm not sure if he gets it all running in part 2, but I had to disable the IPMI GPU to make everything work properly in my HTPC. Just remember to enable it again when you remove the GPUs :D

What would happen if Linus actually broke the MBO or one of the CPUs?

Terve!
"Everyone just calm down for a second." That definitely a thing for the intro sentence.

And I almost fell off my chair as I saw that counterweight.

Also you should think about a ziptie dispenser to optimize your ghettomounting workflow. *smile"

Great video anyway.

Sayonara!

why didnt he just put the mobo on a flat surface and place the coolers on it, placed the GPU's on it and then be sure nobody was touching it? would make it a bit easier.... no?

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

This just wanna make me cringe so, freaking hard. We are talking about top-of-the-line Xeons and you can't wait for a few days for Noctua to send the correct mounting kit