Why Microsoft is calling Windows 10 "the last version of Windows"

RndiCcO.png

"Right now we’re releasing Windows 10, and because Windows 10 is the last version of Windows, we’re all still working on Windows 10." That was the message from Microsoft employee Jerry Nixon, a developer evangelist speaking at the company's Ignite conference this week.
Microsoft has been discussing the idea of Windows as a service, but the company hasn't really explained exactly how that will play out with future versions of Windows. That might be because there won't really be any future major versions of Windows in the foreseeable future. Microsoft has altered the way it engineers and delivers Windows, and the initial result is Windows 10. Instead of big releases, there will be regular improvements and updates.

What I want to know is if this means that you get your Windows license and then you're set forever, or if you'll need to renew your license. In the The Verge article they say that "It's all about Windows as a service". Microsoft has stated earlier that Windows 10 will not be a subscription service, but will this be implemented at a later time? I don't know, and personally don't hope so.

TL;DR: Windows 10 might be the last Windows as in a new OS, and will instead get new features through updates.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/7/8568473/windows-10-last-version-of-windows

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

If they bring back some of the settings-which were useful and stripped out of Windows for 8/8.1, then its the best.

Edit: scratch that, all. Just because a phone can't handle Aero doesn't mean you have to strip it out.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Really old news me thinks.

Microsoft has never made signicant money from upgrades anyways. The overwhelming majority of people just buy a new PC from HP, Dell, etc. which has the cost of license built-in. What they're going to do is just release incremental updates continously and for free the same way iOS works basically. The cost of iOS, like every other mobile OS is built into the device you buy.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Really old news me thinks.

The Verge's article has posted earlier today and the Ignite conference was this week, so I think it's pretty "fresh"

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

The Verge's article has posted earlier today and the Ignite conference was this week, so I think it's pretty "fresh"

Yeah. But I mean it's nothing new they haven't said before. Ha. I think there was even multiple discussions about all this last year on the forum.

and since free upgrade :)

There will be subscription or paid updates guaranteed.

MS will not give us a product and provide infinite updates. That would be terrible business plan.

Even us who will upgrade to W10 for free will have to pay something for it later on when MS unveals its evil plan.

Makes sense to not tell us now, they want everyone onboard to ensure we can't back out :)

All comes to the number. The price they will ask for it in next few years.

I don't mind paying £20 yearly for it.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

If they just have one version and provide ongoing free updates (like Mac OSX does), they don't have to provide support for as many versions and it probably makes ongoing development much easier. I'd certainly be down for a never-ending license to Windows. If it becomes a subscription service (where I need to pay annually or whatever) then I will stop using it, I do not care how many games require it.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

If they just have one version and provide ongoing free updates (like Mac OSX does), they don't have to provide support for as many versions and it probably makes ongoing development much easier. I'd certainly be down for a never-ending license to Windows. If it becomes a subscription service (where I need to pay annually or whatever) then I will stop using it, I do not care how many games require it.

One problem Microsoft will face with that strategy, that Apple doesn't, is what they are going to do when they have to end support for some old technology. Apple can just say "That and that model of the Macbook is no longer supported". Easy to understand if your PC will still be supported or not. Microsoft must say "Laptop with this or this thing won't be supported anymore", which is not that easy for a normal consumer to understand. They could just solve this via a small update that just gives you a notification explaining the situation. Else the best they can do is "most hardware produced before 2016 will not be supported anymore" or something like that. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

New Windows 10 DLC: DirectX 13

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I can see how this is going to go...

2015: Windows 10.

2017: Windows 10.1 <insert name of animal here, preferably big cat>

2020: Windows 10.2 <insert name of another big cat>

2023: Windows 10.3 <insert name of a big cat that's almost extinct>

2025: Windows 10.4 <insert name of Top Gun character in plural, and not 'Geese'>

2027: Windows 10.5 <insert name of a mountain>

Calling it here, right now.  

jk     

Makes sense,waiting for major Windows realeases is stupid anyway they are always broken and not good enough.

Instead we can have constant features/bugfixes OMG ive been dreaming for this literally,not having to wait 3 years to get a new feature.

If they would ask for small fee like 15-20$ for a year of updates i totally think its worth it,if they actually add features not just mess around like they do with W10 TP so far.

Buy it once, have it forever.  I can dig it.

Plus most of us won't even need to buy it! :D

Plus most of us won't even need to buy it! :D

Everything's coming up Millhouse!

How exactly does Microsoft intend to make money off Windows if it's going to be the last major update? Will there be a subscription, expansions, dlc, or (God forbid) microtransactions?

-snip-

Everything was all rainbows and bunnies until read your post lol. Now I don't know what to feel. :P

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

I can see how this is going to go...

2015: Windows 10.

2017: Windows 10.1 <insert name of animal here, preferably big cat>

2020: Windows 10.2 <insert name of another big cat>

2023: Windows 10.3 <insert name of a big cat that's almost extinct>

2025: Windows 10.4 <insert name of Top Gun character in plural, and not 'Geese'>

2027: Windows 10.5 <insert name of a mountain>

Calling it here, right now.

Are you mad? No. Windows doesn't have the finesse of a cat. It will use dogs. Windows is like a overly attached, lovable dog. He loves you very much, you love him very much, always wants to be with you, very fun to play with, but crap at times. But it is ok. Because, you remember the good times you have with him.

Are you mad? No. Windows doesn't have the finesse of a cat. It will use dogs. Windows is like a overly attached, lovable dog. He loves you very much, you love him very much, always wants to be with you, very fun to play with, but crap at times. But it is ok. Because, you remember the good times you have with him.

And the times the dog wet the carpet, made a mess on it and opened the fridge and ate all the food.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

So are they going to build a new set of OS or that is just the end ? This saddens me some how ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

How exactly does Microsoft intend to make money off Windows if it's going to be the last major update? Will there be a subscription, expansions, dlc, or (God forbid) microtransactions?

Exactly my concern.

The same way does Google and Apple.

Store apps.

Also, keep in mind that Microsoft makes little, and I mean very little, from people buying OEM licenses and retail box Windows. The massive majority of sales are from OEMs, and companies paying their yearly volume license fees.