The post to stop all CPU flame wars

Go to solution Solved by waggythegeek,

I would mark solved, but there is no one good answer. They all sorta add on to each other to make one good collective answer. Imma mark this post solved. If you're reading this, you're just gonna have to read the whole thread.

It's AMD right?

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

This is such a retarded not smart post

It's like saying what taste better 

Hawaiian or pepperoni pizza

You didnt specify which CPU 

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

This is such a retarded post

It's like saying what taste better

Hawaiian or pepperoni pizza

You didnt specify which CPU

Thanks...

Can you give a generalization? If not, I guess pick a generic mid range processor for each...

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

This is a stupid answer to a stupid question.

POOP

(Is this even a question....)

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

This is a stupid answer to a stupid question.

POOP

Feel like giving a smart answer?

Ok then.

We dont know because the temp sensors on the AMD are badly designed or something like that so even above 50 or 60 its bad while an intel chip can be 50 all day long with the normal cooler.

So bam

Just say what two processors and cooler please :(

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Feel like asking a smart question instead of flame baiting?

I can't believe this thread hasnt been locked by now for such an obvious reason. 

In reality, guess what! Intel has some hotter cpus than amd cpus! and guess what, just because you can fanboy over intel doesn't mean everyone shares your pitifully limited insight into an entire branch of technology.

/thread

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

AMD CPU's produce more heat. Most people get confused when they see that the TJ Max of modern intel chips is around 100c while the AMD chips are around 60c. That just means that the Intel CPU's can run safely at higher temps without getting damaged. This does not mean that Intel chips can't produce loads of heat, when overclocked 2011 chips really push it out and 115x chips can as well but it usually requires a good bit of voltage on the intel side to equal AMD levels of heat output especially when the AMD chips are overclocked too.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Feel like asking a smart question instead of flame baiting?

I can't believe this thread hasnt been locked by now for such an obvious reason.

In reality, guess what! Intel has some hotter cpus than amd cpus! and guess what, just because you can fanboy over intel doesn't mean everyone shares your pitifully limited insight into an entire branch of technology.

Siri. Not flame baiting. My dad wanted to know and I honestly didn't know if there was s difference. I assumed AND not because of fanboying but because I know their gpu's tend to run hotter.

FX-6300 under 212 evo 4.2ghz 1.4v, I get 40degrees celcius max

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Thanks...

Can you give a generalization? If not, I guess pick a generic mid range processor for each...

Still too vague. The AMD cpu line up is wayyyy too old and their "mid range" CPU is no where near intel's "mid range" CPU (due to AMD not making new types of CPU)

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Not really sure to be honest. AMD's temperature monitors are borked so nobody really knows how hot they're actually running.

However having said that, AMD's mainstream CPUs generate more heat than Intel's mainstream CPUs... however if AMD uses better internal thermal compound and such, it's quite possible that the cores themselves are cooler.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Siri. Not flame baiting. My dad wanted to know and I honestly didn't know if there was s difference. I assumed AND not because of fanboying but because I know their gpu's tend to run hotter.

Which again, is another complete fanboy biased view. The only amd gpus that run signifigantly hotter than their nvidia counter-parts is the 290 and 290X, which gave way from efficiency and leaned onto brute-forcing graphics strength.

I'm going to play the fool and accept your reasoning, Yes, on most occasions AMD cpus tend to run a bit hotter than intel counterparts. Not enough to make ANY sort of a difference, and amd even packs a far superior stock cooler than intels to handle the extra tdp. So yes, they do. Does it matter in any way? No. It won't drive up your power bill, it wont drive up your room temperature by 10000000 degrees and it won't make your AC bill go through the roof.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

AMD CPU's produce more heat. Most people get confused when they see that the TJ Max of modern intel chips is around 100c while the AMD chips are around 60c. That just means that the Intel CPU's can run safely at higher temps without getting damaged. This does not mean that Intel chips can't produce loads of heat, when overclocked 2011 chips really push it out and 115x chips can as well but it usually requires a good bit of voltage on the intel side to equal AMD levels of heat output especially when the AMD chips are overclocked too.

Omg please dont give such a vague answer. I can easily say that you are lying

Intel CPU

Core 2 Extreme QX9775 Yorkfield XE (45 nm) 3.2 GHz

150 W

TDP of 150w

AMD CPU

Athlon 550 Pluto (180 nm) 550 MHz 31 W 56.36

TDP of 31W

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CPU_power_dissipation_figures

Do you see why this post is getting so much hate?

intel CPUs can reach over 90C safely while AMD can only go to 62C

and in relation to the voltage being provided, intel CPUs will reach higher temperatures than AMD

but AMD CPUs have problems with their temperature monitoring algorithm, so its hard to know if the temp they give is really what it says

now for the FX9000 series of CPUs, those are definitely way hotter than intel

but nobody with intelligence should be buying those CPUs...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Omg please dont give such a vague answer. I can easily say that you are lying

Intel CPU

Core 2 Extreme QX9775 Yorkfield XE (45 nm) 3.2 GHz

150 W

TDP of 150w

AMD CPU

Athlon 550 Pluto (180 nm) 550 MHz 31 W 56.36

TDP of 31W

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CPU_power_dissipation_figures

Do you see why this post is getting so much hate?

do you realize you just compared two completely different CPUs with completely different performance?

LOL

you should seriously check your facts and maybe not copare a 550MHz CPU to a 3.2GHz CPU

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Then the question is why does he want to know?  Because you are essentially asking for confirmation that something is unsuitable for an unknown situation.

Nobody can generalise or give you an answer unless you qualify the question, that is, with either specific CPUs to compare or specific end use scenario.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It's AMD right?

Which one's you talking about? At least list something for us to compare.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

do you realize you just compared two completely different CPUs with completely different performance?

LOL

you should seriously check your facts and maybe not copare a 550MHz CPU to a 3.2GHz CPU

AMD CPU's produce more heat

Im basically countering his claim. 

Performance of CPU isnt taken into consideration when he made this claim either

Which again, is another complete fanboy biased view. The only amd gpus that run signifigantly hotter than their nvidia counter-parts is the 290 and 290X, which gave way from efficiency and leaned onto brute-forcing graphics strength.

I'm going to play the fool and accept your reasoning, Yes, on most occasions AMD cpus tend to run a bit hotter than intel counterparts. Not enough to make ANY sort of a difference, and amd even packs a far superior stock cooler than intels to handle the extra tdp. So yes, they do. Does it matter in any way? No. It won't drive up your power bill, it wont drive up your room temperature by 10000000 degrees and it won't make your AC bill go through the roof.

Oh my god. I was uneducated, so I asked. Now I know. "if you ask a question comparing Intel and AMD, you will get threats to have your thread locked." Thanks for keeping it mature guys. You're definitely not behaving like five year olds or anything. By the way, those of you who were capable of educating me without crying to your mommies, thanks.

I am going to fire some shots. Intel runs hotter. 

But AMD has a lower TDP (meaning it starts to throttle at colder temperatures). 

I hear the argument that AMD runs cooler than Intel, and this is a really silly misconception.  I can understand why someone would think that it does, but the temperatures from AMD processors are inaccurate.  They don't measure the cores, they measure the socket, cores tend to be hotter than the socket by a fair amount, and its an algorithm, not a direct measurement like with Intel.  It also has to heat up before it becomes more accurate, this is why you see so many people seeing their FX processors are running below ambient temperatures when at idle.  Thats impossible, its the sensor and the algorithm acting up. It is against the laws of physics for an FX processor to be less hot than an Intel one.  The FX draws much more power.  At stock, the FX8 draws 125W compared to 84/88W of an i5. The FX processor heats up the room much more as well.  I know in my friends' house who owns the FX, his room is sweltering after just an hour of gaming.

"Concerning your question regarding the temperatures with your processor. The maximum temperature threshold is 62 Celsius which set for the internal die (core) temperature of the chip. The core temperatures have an equational offset to determine temperature which equalizes at about 45 Celsius thus giving you more accurate readings at peak temperatures. The hindrance in this is the sub ambient idle temperature readings you speak of.

The silicon and adhesives used in manufacturing these processors has a peak temperature rating of 97+ Celsius before any form of degradation will take place. The processor also has a thermal shut off safe guard in place that shuts the processor down at 90 Celsius.

The Cpu temperature is read form a sensor embedded within the socket of your motherboard causing about a 7-12 Celsius variance form the actual Cpu temperature, which may be what you are reading about on the net.
 I hope I was able to answer your questions, If you have any more inquiries don't hesitate to contact us.

You can use an application called AMD overdrive, that will allow you to monitor your temperatures accurately.

As long as your core temperature has not exceeded the high side of the 60 degree mark for extended periods of time you should be ok. 62 degrees holds a generous safety net to begin with.

Thank You

Alex Cromwell
 Senior Technology Director
 Advanced Micro Devices

Fort Collins, Colorado
 2950 East Harmony Road
 Suite 300
 Fort Collins, CO"

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Oh my god. I was uneducated, so I asked. Now I know. "if you ask a question comparing Intel and AMD, you will get threats to have your thread locked." Thanks for keeping it mature guys. You're definitely not behaving like five year olds or anything. By the way, those of you who were capable of educating me without crying to your mommies, thanks.

If i came across as trying to be mean in my last post, then that's not quite what was intended. 

You have to realize that on a forum like this, you get threads similar to this almost daily trying harder than beyond belief to start a flame war, (on a forum which is already heavily intel and nvidia biased) You gotta realize though that for techies, questions like that, written so brazenly and vaguely come across as flame-baiting. Try to understand that some of us have been dealing with fanboys and morons all day at work, then come home and the first thing we see are a bunch of threads bashing either AMD or intel, it gets old very fast.

intel runs hotter under load but

the vrm on modern intel boards (1155 and newer) typically run cooler under idle and load conditions

under idle conditions intel certainly runs cooler and consumes less juice.

amd generates more heat under idle and load conditions

amd vrm assemblies also run hotter under idle\load conditions

AMD generates more heat in general as a platform :) warm your heart and your home #ibenchamd

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

If i came across as trying to be mean in my last post, then that's not quite what was intended.

You have to realize that on a forum like this, you get threads similar to this almost daily trying harder than beyond belief to start a flame war, (on a forum which is already heavily intel and nvidia biased) You gotta realize though that for techies, questions like that, written so brazenly and vaguely come across as flame-baiting. Try to understand that some of us have been dealing with fanboys and morons all day at work, then come home and the first thing we see are a bunch of threads bashing either AMD or intel, it gets old very fast.

Check my sig. Proud owner of r9 280. Almost got an AMD CPU. Not biased AT ALL.

I am going to fire some shots. Intel runs hotter.

But AMD has a lower TDP (meaning it starts to throttle at colder temperatures).

Koo Koo k'choo