In 2017, Norway will be first country to shut down FM radio

zH9KOdf.jpg

When you first use a DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) radio instead of a FM (Frequency Modulation) radio, you will understand that it is the future of radio, with it's better audio quality and other functionality, like showing more information about the station you're listening to and what song is playing .

So Norway is now leading the DAB standard forward by dropping FM radio for DAB+ as the national standard January 11th 2017, being the first country to do so.

The transition will cost Norwegian consumers ten billion kroner (around 1,3 billion american dollars), and 200.000 DAB radios will become useless, not supporting DAB+

A statement released this week by the Ministry of Culture confirms a switch-off date that was proposed by the Norwegian government back in 2011. The government has concluded that the country is capable of meeting all the requirements necessary for a smooth transition to digital.

Living in Norway myself, this isn't really a big surprise, since there has been a lot of ads saying "how easy it is to switch to DAB" and trying to sell you external DAB radios for your car.

IOuOoYC.png

A often used logo in the markeding for DAB radios in Norway; 

"You get more radio in a digitalradio"

The switchover will begin in the north and will be implemented region by region, something that will work in Norway, but I'm not really sure if it will be such a seamless transition in let's say, the US, so this might be a challenge further down the road when the rest of the world are switching to DAB.

But already now it's quite hard (at least here in Norway) to find a high quality radio, that isn't DAB.

"Listeners will have access to more diverse and pluralistic radio-content, and enjoy better sound quality and new functionality," Minister of Culture Thorhild Widvey said in a statement. "Digitization will also greatly improve the emergency preparedness system, facilitate increased competition and offer new opportunities for innovation and development."

DAB currently offers 22 national channels as opposed to FM's five, and has the capacity to host almost 20 more. The cost of transmitting radio channels through FM is also eight times higher than the cost of DAB transmission, the ministry reports.

Local radio stations have asked to have the switch delayed five to seen years, due to not affording the transition to DAB. They also want a support system from the government that would help the the transition costs.  

Updates: Added info about the cost and negative effects.

Sources: 

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/19/8453165/norway-end-fm-radio-2017

http://radio.no/2015/04/norway-to-switch-off-fm-in-2017/

http://www.dn.no/meninger/debatt/2015/01/05/2156/Medier/dabtrollet-som-sprakk

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/radio/fm-nettet-slukkes-i-2017/a/23435672/

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

Never heard of DAB, but yeah.. Sounds like it is better than FM...

Whereas here in the U.S. I've never heard of DAB and we still have AM radio ;(

I only sometimes use AM for longer range radio stuff :P

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Don't tell Barnacules that FM is dying before he gets his job in FM xD

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Australia, AM, FM, where is that DAB shit they were talking about years ago? I still don't see it anywhere.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I haven't even heard of AM radios...

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

Never heard of DAB, but yeah.. Sounds like it is better than FM...

I only sometimes use AM for longer range radio stuff :P

Don't forget that you can also make one that is environmentally neutral-aka zero power consumption (crystal radio).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Nothing like some AM talk radio when you're out delivering pizza at 1AM, especially if its loveline with Dr. Drew and Seth Macfarlane is the guest.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

UHF's are the future if you don't want to listen to music. Gotta have a UHF.

Props to them though. Bout time we dropped some of that old as shit.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

lol who even uses FM anymore tho, full of commercials and overplayed music and annoying ass broadcasters

whenever im in the car, we use the XM (satelite radio) and/or the aux cable to play stuff from our phone :P

only downside to XM is that it is subscription based, so like every year or 6 months they send a bill, although its very inexpensive regardless :P

as for aux cable, theres really nothing that can go wrong there, as long as some lame ass doesnt play some lame shit, then theyre outta the car and walkin

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

lol who even uses FM anymore tho, full of commercials and overplayed music and annoying ass broadcasters

whenever im in the car, we use the XM (satelite radio) and/or the aux cable to play stuff from our phone :P

only downside to XM is that it is subscription based, so like every year or 6 months they send a bill, although its very inexpensive regardless :P

as for aux cable, theres really nothing that can go wrong there, as long as some lame ass doesnt play some lame shit, then theyre outta the car and walkin

I enjoy the broadcasters, the commercials, not so much.

I enjoy the broadcasters, the commercials, not so much.

ehh, i look at the broadcasters and commercials the same way, the broadcasters most of the time are either spewing out useless stuff or theyre advertising something anyway.

its just that, when im in the car and i turn the radio on, i want music, not some dude who i could care less about

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

DAB has the same "commercials and overplayed music and annoying ass broadcasters", it's just a new standard.

And would you get your mom to use XM or listen to music from her phone? Mine at least wouldn't, she just want's to listen to the same 80's music that they always play on every station, and a sound upgrade that she doesn't have to tinker with for is all that she wants.

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

ehh, i look at the broadcasters and commercials the same way, the broadcasters most of the time are either spewing out useless stuff or theyre advertising something anyway.

its just that, when im in the car and i turn the radio on, i want music, not some dude who i could care less about

It's nice to hear a brief current event now and again, that's what I dislike about Satellite radio, little to no news, unless you are actually on the news channel.

OH, and XM does have commercials, I've heard them, commercials for other XM stations.

DAB has the same "commercials and overplayed music and annoying ass broadcasters", it's just a new standard.

And would you get your mom to use XM or listen to music from her phone? Mine at least wouldn't, she just want's to listen to the same 80's music that they always play on every station, and a sound upgrade that she doesn't have to tinker with is all that she want's.

well xm is basically just a better FM or DAB, just no commercials and each type of music has its own channel, so like theres an 80's channel, 70's channel, vinyl channel, new hits channel, etc.... but its just better overall for such a low price. as for the aux cord, thats usually me using it when i kinda just plug it in w/o her noticing then she just kinda drives without question cuz idk its only fair that i get to play what i want every now and then :P

It's nice to hear a brief current event now and again, that's what I dislike about Satellite radio, little to no news, unless you are actually on the news channel.

OH, and XM does have commercials, I've heard them, commercials for other XM stations.

very short commericals at that :P

but yeh i see where youre comin from, wouldnt worry too much, the fm stations here bring in too much money for them to just close down all of the sudden.

very short commericals at that :P

but yeh i see where youre comin from, wouldnt worry too much, the fm stations here bring in too much money for them to just close down all of the sudden.

You're one "a whole 'nother" and an irregardless away from being sent to a work camp! *stewie voice*

You're one "a whole 'nother" and an irregardless away from being sent to a work camp! *stewie voice*

u wot m8

ISTHAT A JEW JOKE IM HEARING SO HELP ME GOD

u wot m8

ISTHAT A JEW JOKE IM HEARING SO HELP ME GOD

It's a family guy joke dude.

It's a family guy joke dude.

i feel now, banter

Nothing like some AM talk radio when you're out delivering pizza at 1AM, especially if its loveline with Dr. Drew and Seth Macfarlane is the guest.

FM audio quality is so much better.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

FM audio quality is so much better.

Well obviously. My problem with it is the constant overlapping of stations and interference from others. It always seems to happen when a song I really like is on.

There's been some controversy whether it was correct to pick DAB+ as the new radio in Norway. I was also a skeptic, but after listening to it I bid FM a swift and just death.