Google has developed a technology to tell whether ‘facts’ on the Internet are true

google-servers-2-470.jpg

Google seems to be working on technology (as according to a recent paper that was published) that can in fact tell you whether OP is full of shit or not. Hopefully. 

It would be interesting to see how they would implement this into their services (maybe rank sites based off some obscure measure of how "truthful" they are, or whatever else. Certainly a neat idea, thats for sure. 

But in a research paper published by Google in February — and reported over the weekend by New Scientist — that could, at least hypothetically, change. A team of computer scientists at Google has proposed a way to rank search results not by how popular Web pages are, but by their factual accuracy.

To be really clear, this is 100 percent theoretical: It’s a research paper, not a product announcement or anything equally exciting. (Google publishes hundreds of research papers a year.) Still, the fact that a search engine could effectively evaluate  truth, and that Google is actively contemplating that technology, should boggle the brain. After all, truth is a slippery, malleable thing — and grappling with it has traditionally been an exclusively human domain.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/03/02/google-has-developed-a-technology-to-tell-whether-facts-on-the-internet-are-true/

whether OP is full of shit or not. Hopefully.

I don't know.. I kind of like it. a lot.

I wish they would just unleash it.

"If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth."

- Carl Sagan

I thought that was what Google is for....

:P

System: Thinkpad T460

Huh, neat. Facebook's not going to like this

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I thought that was what Google is for....

:P

No, that's what /r/quityourbullshit is for.

I would rather have my results the way that they are. I don't want google trying to determine which sites and results are "accurate" (to their standards).

*title says they developed it but article says it hasn't been made yet. Fix title please.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

yay finally say goodbye to this internet medicine thing !

shot's fired, @antivaxxers

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

How do we know this is true?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

How would this work with conspiracies?

I imagine if the truth cannot be found it doesn't give a rating, i.e. the software or whatever it is would have a timeout period - as in, it would stop searching for the "truth" after a certain while and claim it to be pure speculation

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y